SASS Wire Forum

Updated Glossary of Sweeps Suggestions Please

The Outlaw Travis James

Howdy y'all,

I have been working on updating Crooked River Bob's sweep glossary.  I am combining a few of the documents that have been floating around the web.  If you have any sweep suggestions you would like added to the library please comment with them below.  If you would also put in the comments who the sweep is attributed to that would be great. 

I am formatting it thus:

Amigo’s Sweep: Suggested on the SASS Wire by Wallaby Jack (SASS#44062, NSW, Australia). “…the whole stage is set up with a target array of ONE target.” AKA Missouri Sweep, Texas Sweep.

• 5 shots on 1 target – 1-1-1-1-1
  • 10 shots on 1 target – 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

I am also including starting positions and some common terms as well.  

For Example:

Common Terms:

• Single Tap: One single shot at designated target.
  • Double Tap: Two consecutive shots at designated target.
  • Triple Tap: Three consecutive shots at designated target.
  • Then: Perform stage instructions in order listed.
  • And: Perform stage instructions in any order chosen by the shooter.

Starting Positions:

• SASS Default: Shooter standing upright with revolvers holstered, hands at sides not touching any firearms.
  • Hands on Hat: Both hands touching brim of hat.  If no hat is worn, touching temples.
  • Texas Surrender: One hand touching each pistol

This has been requested by a bunch of our newer shooters down here and I think it should help them, immensely.  I am formatting it in this way for the stage writers to be able to reference it quickly during the brainstorming process.  Any suggestions or help on this is greatly appreciated.  Below are the references I have used so far.  If you have any others, please post those as well.  

http://goldcoastgunslingers.com/files/Typical_Sweep_Patterns.pdf

http://goldcoastgunslingers.com/files/Sweeps_by_Double_B_Cowboys.pdf

http://www.prvcatlazyarrow.com/prvcatylazyarrow.com/Virtual_Cowboy_Shooting.html

Much obliged,

The OTJ
S.A.S.S. #: 107517
Founder: SASS Florida
OK Corral Outlaws - Okeechobee, FL
Gold Coast Gunslingers - Sunrise, FL
Lake County Pistoleros - Eustis, FL
Roughshod Raiders, Gainesville, FL
Fort White Cowboy Cavalry, Fort White, FL

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Some sweeps are more easily explained if you letter the targets. Three targets, a,b,c. Shoot the targets in the following order a,b,a,b,c vs. using too many numbers.

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

Some sweeps are more easily explained if you letter the targets. Three targets, a,b,c. Shoot the targets in the following order a,b,a,b,c vs. using too many numbers.

noted

I've been kinda fiddlin' with something like that -- Crooked River Bob's as a starting point, plugging in sweeps when I stumbled across them in stage descriptions, such as EOT, etc.

Needs looking at by someone with a lot more time on stages than me.

3 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I've been kinda fiddlin' with something like that -- Crooked River Bob's as a starting point, plugging in sweeps when I stumbled across them in stage descriptions, such as EOT, etc.

Needs looking at by someone with a lot more time on stages than me.

Sweep sorter by number of shots.pdf 616.13 kB · 0 downloads Sweep sorter by target order.pdf 616.35 kB · 1 download Cowboy Sweep sorter by name.pdf 615.49 kB · 1 download

I will take a look at it when I get home tonight.  If I am reading this correctly, each box is a different target and the number inside the box is the number of consecutive shots on that target.  Correct?

Reading columns from left: Sweep name, notes, # shots for the sweep, # targets, then each column is the consecutive  numbered shot (1st shot, 2nd shot, 3rd shot, etc.), and the numbers in the rows are which target gets the shot. Kinda the way it gets laid out when it gets described in a in a stage diagram.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I will take a look at it when I get home tonight.  If I am reading this correctly, each box is a different target and the number inside the box is the number of consecutive shots on that target.  Correct?

Another file (actually, the one I was putting together that got me going down this rabbit hole).

I opened one of the sweep sorters, didn't like the way it formatted. I'll give it another cut.

3 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Reading columns from left: Sweep name, notes, # shots for the sweep, # targets, then each column is the consecutive  numbered shot (1st shot, 2nd shot, 3rd shot, etc.), and the numbers in the rows are which target gets the shot. Kinda the way it gets laid out when it gets described in a in a stage diagram.

Understood.  Thanks.  I will take a look at it.  This updated list is already 11 pages long and is pretty comprehensive.  I am sure you have some on here that I don't yet.  

2 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Another file (actually, the one I was putting together that got me going down this rabbit hole).

I opened one of the sweep sorters, didn't like the way it formatted. I'll give it another cut.

Cowboy Sweep book in work.pdf 800.66 kB · 1 download

WOW!  This one is great!  Thanks.  I will credit you in the document for all the help.  Much obliged! 

3 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

WOW!  This one is great!  Thanks.  I will credit you in the document for all the help.  Much obliged! 

'Preciate it; mostly it's just pulling together stuff that's floating around out there and makin' it purty.

27 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I reformatted, these laid out better (didn't have the orphaned column):

Sweep sorter by name mod.pdf Sweep sorter by number of shots mod.pdf Sweep sorter by target order mod.pdf

11 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

OK much easier to understand now.  Thanks. 

Good timing. 

I wrote stages for my first time for our July match.  I made a couple of small errors but I got some compliments.  I suspect they will let me write them again as it's not a job people are fighting over to do. 

1 hour ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Chimney Sweep!  Hilarious!

Seamus

Up and down and up again!  hahaha

19 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Okay, I cleaned it up a little, added the start positions and terms, added the acknowledgements.

It's still a work in progress.

Cowboy Sweep book in work-a.pdf

Is there a typo in the Oklahoma sweep?

(sweep L-R, then L-R)

Also, when a sweep is in more than one place in the list (like this one), the same notes do not show up for each of the alternate name listings.

It is just stuff something I saw, but really came to post a big thanks for putting this together!

I see you are still working through it; Once refined, this info would be great as a FAQ sticky.

To clarify, the lists posted above are separate from the one I am working on.  My goal is to consolidate everything into one document.  Ozark Huckleberry has contributed immensely to the list.  Special thanks to him.  As of last night, my list is already 14 pages long with another 50 or so sweeps to add to it still.  If you have any submitals please let me know.  

the OTJ

1 hour ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

To clarify, the lists posted above are separate from the one I am working on.  My goal is to consolidate everything into one document.  Ozark Huckleberry has contributed immensely to the list.  Special thanks to him.  As of last night, my list is already 14 pages long with another 50 or so sweeps to add to it still.  If you have any submitals please let me know.  

the OTJ

The four different documents are all the same sweep info, just laid out differently.

ETA: If the format is convenient to use, I'd gladly pull the extra sweeps you have into it.

4 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Is there a typo in the Oklahoma sweep?

Also, when a sweep is in more than one place in the list (like this one), the same notes do not show up for each of the alternate name listings.

It is just stuff something I saw, but really came to post a big thanks for putting this together!

I see you are still working through it; Once refined, this info would be great as a FAQ sticky.

"Preciate it. Not sure if it was Jack, Jim, or Jose helping me with editing that one. :lol:

Fix was easy -- just took the note out. Kinda pointless with the target order already listed.

1 minute ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

"Preciate it. Not sure if it was Jack, Jim, or Jose helping me with editing that one. :lol:

Fix was easy -- just took the note out. Kinda pointless with the target order already listed.

Usually it's Jose who helps me, but sometimes Don Julio chips in.

7 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

the OTJ

Did you see this site? More Crooked River Bob sweep info, some that aren’t in the link above. 

https://www.osasf.ca/glossary-of-sweeps/

I'll admit I haven't reviewed your documents but will make the following comment anyway...

I think it would be wise to put a caution in the beginning that named sweeps can vary by region or club, and it is the shooters responsibility to pay attention during the stage reading and ask questions as needed.  For example 'Nevada sweep.' easy right?  If you didn't listen to the stage reading you might miss 'starting on the middle target.'

Imagine you have the project well in hand, but here's a vid I did some time back to help some newer folks understand some of the basic sweeps.

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Did you see this site? More Crooked River Bob sweep info, some that aren’t in the link above. 

https://www.osasf.ca/glossary-of-sweeps/

Yes.  Thanks. I forgot to post it in the original.  

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I'll admit I haven't reviewed your documents but will make the following comment anyway...

I think it would be wise to put a caution in the beginning that named sweeps can vary by region or club, and it is the shooters responsibility to pay attention during the stage reading and ask questions as needed.  For example 'Nevada sweep.' easy right?  If you didn't listen to the stage reading you might miss 'starting on the middle target.'

Imagine you have the project well in hand, but here's a vid I did some time back to help some newer folks understand some of the basic sweeps.

The very first page of sweeps reads:

Sweeps

Note: These sweeps are called many different names depending on the stage writer, club, region, etc.  An exhaustive list would be impossible.  This is for reference purposes only.  Be sure to clarify sweeps with the Posse Marshall at the match if you have any questions.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:01 AM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Howdy y'all,

I have been working on updating Crooked River Bob's sweep glossary.  I am combining a few of the documents that have been floating around the web.  If you have any sweep suggestions you would like added to the library please comment with them below.  If you would also put in the comments who the sweep is attributed to that would be great. 

You might want to indicate the sweeps that have multiple names. Ex: Lawrence Welk sweep (aka Progressive sweep), Reverse Lawrence Welk is also called a Regressive sweep. Of course, it all depends which region you are shooting in as to the name of the sweeps.

I always found CRB's list to be very helpful and ya'lls work on updating it is much appreciated!

You probably already have it, but I noticed the Military Sweep is not on the list.  2 targets (left, left, left, right, left)  I can't take credit.

Possum

16 hours ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

You might want to indicate the sweeps that have multiple names. Ex: Lawrence Welk sweep (aka Progressive sweep), Reverse Lawrence Welk is also called a Regressive sweep. Of course, it all depends which region you are shooting in as to the name of the sweeps.

First -- this is OTJ's thread; he's running this train.. I had just put together a sweeps from around the net and when he put out the call, I shared the files.

I know what you mean by multiple names. That's what drove me to share one file that organized the sweep list by target order. If you get a sweep that's, say -- '1-3-1-3-2' and think, 'Hmm, what was that sweep's name?' instead of running through a whole blamed list looking at every sweep's target order, you can go to the file sorted by target order and there they is - Nine Toe Joe, or Scorpion.

19 hours ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

Here are a few examples from the Glossary so far: 

Cajon Sweep: From Old Scout (SASS# 323, CA). Five consecutive shots on a single target, 1-1-1-1-1. Cowboy action shooters in general have a lot of fun with this one, and it is humorously known by a variety of names in various parts of the country. For example, Mustang Gregg (SASS#38345, NE) and Cuts Crooked (SASS#36914, “Midwest”) called it the Nebraska Sweep, while Curly McCrae (SASS#27784, MI) called it a California Sweep. R.B. Rooson (SASS#16974, TX) called it the Paradise Pistolero Sweep. Johnny the Kid (SASS#22917, FL) identified it as the Hatbill Sweep. Wire Paladin (SASS#5954, OR) suggested calling this the Chicago Sweep, saying “…you just dump all the rounds of one gun on one target.”
California Sweep: From Old Scout (SASS# 323, CA). “Every other shot must be on the first target. The remaining shots will form a sweep.” His example suggested eight shots on five targets, 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5. See also Hermit Joe Sweep.

Continuous Nevada Sweep: Generally ten shots on four targets, 1-2-3-4-3- 2-1-2-3-4. Same as the Idaho Sweep and the Zig-Zag.

19 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

I always found CRB's list to be very helpful and ya'lls work on updating it is much appreciated!

You probably already have it, but I noticed the Military Sweep is not on the list.  2 targets (left, left, left, right, left)  I can't take credit.

Possum

I did not have that one yet.  Who do you credit with the sweep?  I will add it to the glossary.  

P.S. I like it, very clever.  I was in the Army and I almost HAD to read it in cadence!  hahaha

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

First -- this is OTJ's thread; he's running this train.. I had just put together a sweeps from around the net and when he put out the call, I shared the files.

I know what you mean by multiple names. That's what drove me to share one file that organized the sweep list by target order. If you get a sweep that's, say -- '1-3-1-3-2' and think, 'Hmm, what was that sweep's name?' instead of running through a whole blamed list looking at every sweep's target order, you can go to the file sorted by target order and there they is - Nine Toe Joe, or Scorpion.

I have an index at the end of the glossary that lists the sweeps alias'.

5 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I did not have that one yet.  Who do you credit with the sweep?  I will add it to the glossary.  

P.S. I like it, very clever.  I was in the Army and I almost HAD to read it in cadence!  hahaha

I can't say who came up with it.  The first time I encountered it was at Comin' At 'Cha a couple of years ago.

Maybe it should be written this way: (left...left...left,right,left)

Archived