SASS Wire Forum

Mask required at local

Ringer

Yes.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife is high-risk and works as a nurse in a COVID-19 unit. Last week, she lost 3 patients to the virus while she was on shift. Her unit is completely full -- they are shipping COVID-19 patients to other hospitals or cities. 146K people have died in the United States.

There is a non-zero chance she will bring the virus home to me. If I can prevent even one of my pards from getting sick by wearing a mask, I will wear one all the time.

Surgeons have been wearing masks for a hundred years to protect their patients from infection. Even President Trump says you should wear a mask.

Anyone who refuses to wear a mask in public on principle -- or because it's inconvenient -- is incredibly selfish.

That said, I don't shoot at any clubs that require masks, and I won't condemn friends who don't wear masks -- I'll just keep my distance from them. If I feel I can keep a safe distance from people, in an outdoor space, with a mask on, I'll probably still go shoot.

2 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

Anyone who refuses to wear a mask in public on principle -- or because it's inconvenient -- is incredibly selfish.

That said, I don't shoot at any clubs that require masks, and I won't condemn friends who don't wear masks -- I'll just keep my distance from them. If I feel like I can keep a safe distance from people, in an outdoor space, with a mask on, I'll probably still go shoot.

Looks like you just did :lol:

11 hours ago, Waimea said:

Pick your battles, Men.

Wearing a mask does NOT equal "compliance".

No more than not wearing a mask shows how Freedom Loving you are.

I believe there will be battles ahead where you will be able to choose either of the above.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

If that doesn't sum it all up, I don't know what does.  Well said, Waimea!

Looks like the poll is about evenly divided into won't go unless masks are worn,  would wear one if only way, and won't wear one.

Providing mandate option is available,  maybe split posses into "mask" and "no mask".  

Maybe shoot match with mask on one day and no mask on next? 

One time we shot a match on Saturday and the same match on Sunday.  It went over pretty well.  We had about half shoot both days. 

Everyone plays.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Looks like the poll is about evenly divided into won't go unless masks are worn,  would wear one if only way, and won't wear one.

Providing mandate option is available,  maybe split posses into "mask" and "no mask".  

Maybe shoot match with mask on one day and no mask on next? 

One time we shot a match on Saturday and the same match on Sunday.  It went over pretty well.  We had about half shoot both days. 

Everyone plays.

The split posse option is an idea worth looking into. If there are enough folks for two groups, it's a good solution. The same match over 2 days would work for a club that owns the range and doesn't have to rent the range.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

He either forgot he voted......or he thinks he's in Chicago.:P

You're gonna have to do a better job on him. 

You know he is part Floridian now.:lol:

5 minutes ago, Ringer said:

We can't even get him to load his pistols for a stage at The Ides of March. Now you want us to teach him how to be a Cracker?:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Ringer said:

He does have at least two aliases. CC and Purdy Boy. He gets one more vote for Peanut Butter.:lol:

We hide our women when he’s here! 

On 7/22/2020 at 7:51 AM, Ringer said:

If a mask was required for a local shoot would you go or not?

Out of respect for the match organizers, yes I would.

No.

I won’t be forced to wear an infectious face diaper to lessen anyone’s fear of the boogeyman.And I certainly wouldn’t get up early on a weekend and drive an hour or more, and pay good money to do so.

Hey, Ringer!

Thanks for starting this thread!  The responses have been super interesting.  Some of them provide a pretty clear insight to the character and attitude of our fellow cowboy shooters.

Regards,

Jackalope

I hope we are over this sooner rather than later.   But I'm afraid it's going to drag out until the election.   

I just wonder how people are going to react to the next virus.  It's not like this will be the last one. 

47 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Hey, Ringer!

Thanks for starting this thread!  The responses have been super interesting.  Some of them provide a pretty clear insight to the character and attitude of our fellow cowboy shooters.

Regards,

Jackalope

Anything for the cause.:D

This has turned out to be as divided as the country.:blink:

And all I wanted was a simple yes or no.

Imagine that! :rolleyes:

I'd have to really think about shooting with a mask again. Our first match back shooting this year required masks. The bandana blocked my downward vision and I fumbled re holstering my cross draw pistol as I couldn't see the holster well through my bi-focals. Moving to my rifle it bounced out, cost me a SDQ. Nobodies fault but mine. First match after a couple month break plus only the second match on a new rig, but to me now a mask poses enough of a safety hazard I don't know if I'd shoot with one again. 

2 minutes ago, Doc X said:

I'd have to really think about shooting with a mask again. Our first match back shooting this year required masks. The bandana blocked my downward vision and I fumbled re holstering my cross draw pistol as I couldn't see the holster well through my bi-focals. Moving to my rifle it bounced out, cost me a SDQ. Nobodies fault but mine. First match after a couple month break plus only the second match on a new rig, but to me now a mask poses enough of a safety hazard I don't know if I'd shoot with one again. 

I'm not aware of any club requiring the shooter to wear their mask while shooting.

Interesting question.

Around here, it's recommended while not required.  Some folks do, most don't.  When around folks that do, I keep my distance out of respect for that individual person.  Were a local club to require it due to local gov't requirements, it wouldn't stop me from going if I was likely to go otherwise, as long as I didn't have to wear with while shooting, and could take it off while distancing as it's sometimes hard to breathe, especially in the heat with one on.

I'm more interested in keeping my local clubs going than making a political statement around folks I know probably agree with me anyway.

Yes.  Ha!   And, it was pistols AND rifle AND sg was first. But, seriously,  look at the places where the new cases have severely diminished.  And form your own opinion. It actually may change

12 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Hey, Ringer!

Regards,

Jackalope

Sure as hell does.

16 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Yes.  Ha!   And, it was pistols AND rifle AND sg was first. But, seriously,  look at the places where the new cases have severely diminished.  And form your own opinion. It actually may change

You still just get 1 vote.:FlagAm:

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm not aware of any club requiring the shooter to wear their mask while shooting.

Well, guess you aren't aware of everything that goes on after all. Masks  were required starting at the loading table (only two at the table at a time) and had to be worn until finished at the unloading table. T.O. and spotters were required to wear one as long as working in that function.

Had a 2 cowboy match yesterday with a member of my quaranteam.  We each had our own loading/unloading table on opposite sides of the stage. Set up the steel, shot and put it away. Worked on my grab 4 technique with my 97. Emptied a lot of those cheap federal shells. I miss shooting with my club and had planned shooting at numerous other clubs prior to the outbreak. I have committed to keep my family safe and will continue my hygiene/social distancing routine for as long I believe it is needed. After only 6-1/2 months 148,000 people have died as a result of the virus in the US alone. That's a fact. Not a hoax. Not a conspiracy. It won't go away after the election. 

2 hours ago, Doc X said:

Well, guess you aren't aware of everything that goes on after all. Masks  were required starting at the loading table (only two at the table at a time) and had to be worn until finished at the unloading table. T.O. and spotters were required to wear one as long as working in that function.

What's the point of this response??

Oh, perhaps it's to show that there is a club that is endangering the shooter??? Wearing a mask during a physical activity is dangerous.... Would love to know which club this is ...

If you don't wear a mask, you're a selfish azzhole.

If I have to wear a mask to keep YOU safe, I will also be knocking that McDonalds out of your hand.

Those are 2 responses. One from each side of the argument. I'm more in the middle probably. To answer the OP, it just depends on how much I like that shoot and how far away it is, and if they take it overboard or not. I'll not shoot while wearing one though. Thats dangerous in my opinion. Mask plus glasses equal fog in a lot of cases too.

No. I will not shoot a match wearing a mask.

But my reasons will probably rile some here.

Fact: Someone may have the virus but be asymptomatic.

Fact: Someone my have the virus but not have a high temperature yet.

I do not wear a mask to protect myself, I wear it to protect others in case I have the virus and am asymptomatic. Wearing a mask prevents me from spreading droplets in my breath that may carry the virus.

I am well over 60 years old, so I hope that others do the same for me.

If I have the virus but am asymptomatic I may not have a fever yet, so taking my temperature may not indicate whether or not I have the virus.

I do not have the Constitutional right to yell Fire in a crowded theater.

I do not have the Constitutional right to not have to wear a mask if it is dictated by the governor of the state I live in.

I will not shoot at a match that requires a mask to be worn simply because it is too darn hot in the summer to be outdoors wearing a mask all day.

It is not necessary for me to attend a Cowboy Shooting Match this summer.

I will wait until there is a vaccine. I will also wait until there is a vaccine to go into a restaurant to eat, go to a bar, or attend events where social distancing is not possible or practical.

15 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Had a 2 cowboy match yesterday with a member of my quaranteam.  We each had our own loading/unloading table on opposite sides of the stage. Set up the steel, shot and put it away. Worked on my grab 4 technique with my 97. Emptied a lot of those cheap federal shells. I miss shooting with my club and had planned shooting at numerous other clubs prior to the outbreak. I have committed to keep my family safe and will continue my hygiene/social distancing routine for as long I believe it is needed. After only 6-1/2 months 148,000 people have died as a result of the virus in the US alone. That's a fact. Not a hoax. Not a conspiracy. It won't go away after the election. 

During the same period the CDC reported that in the US alone 335,000 died of cardio-vascular illness, and we can expect at least another 312,000 by the end of December if this is a normal year. This is one of the more preventable causes of death as all it takes in many cases is early diagnosis then control of diet, weight and some level of exercise. And even after diagnosis quite often the life of the patient can be extended by use of medications singly or in combinations.

Everybody is going to die of something and in a "normal" year about 2,800, 000 people die in the US, with heart disease being the current #1 at 647,457  and cancer right behind at about 599,000 in 2017 (latest year for statistics).

As a certain DI once said "ya wanna live forever?!!!

Again if you want to protect yourself and wear a mask you don't need anyone's permission.... just do it.

If they work as advertised then you should be good to go for a long and healthy lifespan and it doesn't matter if someone else does or does not wear a mask.

If someone tells me they are "protecting" me by requiring me to wear one then we can have a civil discussion but many (including myself) don't believe that is a truth.

Lastly to those who have lost loved ones to this my most sincere condolences.

I am currently dealing with a potential loss of my eldest cousin (66 years old) who has tested positive, is asthmatic, was a former 2 pack a day smoker, has heart disease, just got over shingles and is currently in a Dallas hospital. Interestingly she has been in self quarantine since late February for another illness and been living with her mom, my aunt (90) and younger sister, another cousin (63) in near total isolation  including spraying down the mail with alcohol, home delivery of food with spray on it as well, masks worn inside the house more or less continuously and two separate air filter systems in the house that are supposed to clean the air on a continuous basis. Both my other cousin and my aunt tested negative once in early June and again on July 10th when she was admitted to the hospital. I do not know the type of test(s) so do not know how accurate they are.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I don’t wear one for myself but for others. I’m in contact with a lot of people for my job (work at a drug and alcohol rehab). My significant other is a nurse that does work as a nurse doing elderly home visits. 

She’s the bread winner while I finish my schooling. We just literally can’t afford to have me getting her sick.

A mask has never been effective for protecting the individual, just a minor protection to keep the individual from spreading. I manage at work for short periods of time to keep a mask or bandanna up. We don’t have to all the time, just in close proximity to clients.

So yes, I can do so for matches, given enough common sense and breaks.

As for erosion of rights or conditioning people to control, I would consider mask mandates to be a silly form of implementing control over people a lot like requiring us to wear our underwear outside of our pants. What would be the point?

On 7/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, Waimea said:

Pick your battles, Men.

Wearing a mask does NOT equal "compliance".

No more than not wearing a mask shows how Freedom Loving you are.

I believe there will be battles ahead where you will be able to choose either of the above.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I am afraid that you are right.  I'm not a seer but a look into the future is frightening

Archived