SASS Wire Forum

Mask required at local

Ringer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ringer said:

If a mask was required for a local shoot would you go or not?

As long as I could use my bandana, yes I would go.

In early May one of the shoots here required your bandana unless you were shooting. Now everyone is just "recommending" them.

9 minutes ago, Ringer said:

If a mask was required for a local shoot would you go or not?

Keep in mind that depending on the state and/or the club (not all SASS events own the land the match is held on), the people putting on the match may not have choice about the masks.

I can speak from a onetime experience shooting Cowboy in 100 degrees southern heat. A good friend of mine also shot that day and afterwards stated he could advise the CIA that shooting Cowboy with a mask would produce much better results than Waterboarding.

I’ve tried several types but can’t seem to find one that doesn’t cause my glasses to fog up. Can’t shoot or spot if I  can’t see. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m not sold on the effectiveness of masks

I am, I'm convinced that wearing a mask helps infect more people; not less.

Nevertheless,  yes I'd wear a mask while I spot, run the timer, or watch the loading/unloading tables, IF it helps some parts feel better.

I would very likely take it off periodically and get some fresh air though and I'd definitely bring 20 or so wild rags and change periodically. 

No, I've skipped all area matches that have required a mask.  I realize it's may not be the local clubs decision and don't blame them for enforcing the policy, I just choose not to attend if there is a mask requirement or a physical prior to shooting.

Totes

I have shot CAS, WB and trap where masks were required.  Fortunately all ranges allowed removal of the mask while shooting since glasses fog when wearing a mask.  Spotting is inconsistent since spotters sometimes cannot see targets clearly.  In windy conditions I see little need for a mask but will do what the range requires so I can shoot.

Yes. As a matter of fact, it's the only way that I would attend a match due to medical issues. Unfortunately, most "pards" that shoot at the clubs in Florida don't have the same courtesy/respect for others as Capt. Bill Burt and Tyrel Cody have. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who is forced into this situation.

Yes, as I like this sport too much to miss a shoot over having to wear a mask.  There just aren’t that many days left this summer in Michigan to miss any matches.  
All that I have attended let the shooter remove them while shooting, most have been recommended, not mandated. 

I hate masks...

That said, I'm not going to stop shooting because I have to wear a stoopid mask. This whole crazy polarized positions on mask wearing is silly. Having the two extremes...the crazed mask wearers accusing the non-mask wearers as "Murderers"...the crazed non-mask wearers accusing all mask wearers as being "Sheep"...geeeze...let it be!

If you feel that you need to wear a mask, wear it! If you feel you don't...then don't. A lastly, respect each other's decisions...

Phantom

In cooler weather I'd be happy to wear a bandana. In hot weather no.

I work outside and I have enough experience already with a bandana outside in summer heat to know it affects my breathing, heart rate , and ability to focus.

Wearing a mask of any kind in hot weather would not be safe for handling guns, power tools, etc. At least for me.

Nope  after as many procedures as I have had on my lungs it's tough enough to breathe as it is.  This is a hobby.    If I really need to shoot my range is just outside the door. 

52 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I hate masks...

That said, I'm not going to stop shooting because I have to wear a stoopid mask. This whole crazy polarized positions on mask wearing is silly. Having the two extremes...the crazed mask wearers accusing the non-mask wearers as "Murderers"...the crazed non-mask wearers accusing all mask wearers as being "Sheep"...geeeze...let it be!

If you feel that you need to wear a mask, wear it! If you feel you don't...then don't. A lastly, respect each other's decisions...

Phantom

Well said , Phantom.

If that's what it takes to shoot , I will do it. The last thing I want to do is stop shooting.

Rex :D

Yes. No problem.  It is hotter and an occasional walk away and sweat wipe and breathe might be necessary. I've done it for work I can do it for fun. Of course, I take immunosuppressant medication and am no longer young and bulletproof. But I was. I look at it this way. If you won't wear a mask I can't shoot with you no matter what I do. If you wear a mask, we can shoot with each other. This virus ain't a hoax or conspiracy, it's a tragedy, like polio. The polio survivors, those who caught it, were way more visible.

Yes, I would shoot a match that required it. No, I don't like wearing a mask. Yes, I would shoot a match that required it.

Here in NM,the Governor has us locked down again.No interstate travel unless you self-quarantine for 14 days when you arrive here from out of state,resident or not(yeah,I know , no enforcement yet,who's to know?)but it sets the tone .

0ur club is shooting again by following the basic rules; masks social distancing,hand sanitizers,not using the same brass picking equipment,self-registration with exact change,a everything we can do to be able to enjoy our sport.

Personally  I feel like it's a fair price to pay.

Choctaw Jack 

Meh i'm not sold on the idea. I did go to one that said mask were required when social distancing was not practical and about 2 minutes into the safety brief no one had them on. Now i'm seeing "mask recommended" So as long as it's not enforced i'll go. If you want to wear one go for it. If you dont want to i'm fine with that too. 

No I will not attend

If someone truly believes a mask will potentially save their life, by all means wear one.

If it actually works then it does not matter what anyone else does, you are protected...... right?

And all those who do not wear one are going to infect each other and die soon because of the Chinese virus, freeing up ammo and firearms for you, and leaving you the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" (sarcasm emoji)

BTW as of last night cdc reports 50,343,272 tests performed, 4,653,438 positive, 141,677 deaths to date, out of a US population of approximately 331,002,651

That would be a positive rate for the virus of about 9.2% of all tests, a death rate of about 3% of all positive tests and a death rate of .28 % of all tests. .

It would also indicate that currently about .042 % of the United States overall population has died from the Chinese flu. To those who lost loved ones my most sincere condolences.

The data also presupposes that those who passed had no other underlying health conditions that may have contributed to their demise directly or indirectly, which is a scientific improbability, but that data is not generally available.

Regard,

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

It would also indicate that currently about .042 % of the United States overall population has died from the Chinese flu.

I'd speculate that very few of these people died of  the virus.  They may have died with the virus but I'm skeptical given the level of fraud surrounding the reporting.  

Yeah, I'll wear a mask if that's what it takes to enjoy myself. I have to wear one at work so I'm pretty much used to it now. I will say the type of mask makes a huge difference on comfort and breathability. If i had to wear an N95 then the answer would likely be a big NO.

yes I would.  I wear a mask more than 9 hours a day at work, and anytime I am out of the house because it is required... have since March.

Ask any if the families of the 141,677 virus dead if they wish that they had been wearing a mask the day they gave their loved one the disease that killed them...

17 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just my thinking,   instead of requiring a mask,  just test everyone's temperature.  I had to pass a temperature test to get into the dentist office.  

I'm surprised, isn't tooth decay and oral hygiene a hoax invented by Democrat dentists and the ADA?

Sure.

Already been doing it.  Shot a match earlier this month where everyone in the covered bay except the next shooter up to the line had to keep their masks on.  If you wanted to take it off or needed a break from it you just had to go outside the covered bay area and keep your 6 feet.

Didn't change the day much.

Lots of bandannas and decorative masks.

I'm not arguing about whether it works or not, just saying we have been able to shoot some and have been following the rules of the states involved and are managing to get along.

This whole virus/mask deal has escalated the regulations exponentially.  Clearly making it more confusing,  

https://www.adasoutheast.org/ada/publications/legal/ada-and-face-mask-policies.php

Examples of a person with a disability who might not be able to wear a face mask

• Individuals with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other respiratory disabilities may not be able to wear a face mask because of difficulty in or impaired breathing. People with respiratory disabilities should consult their own medical professional for advice about using face masks. The CDC also states that anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear a face mask.[7]
  • People with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), severe anxiety, or claustrophobia (an abnormal fear of being in enclosed or narrow places),[8] may feel afraid or terrified when wearing a face mask. These individuals may not be able to stay calm or function when wearing a face mask.
  • Some people with autism are sensitive to touch and texture. [9] Covering the nose and mouth with fabric can cause sensory overload, feelings of panic, and extreme anxiety.

Best I can tell, the ADA rules still apply but all laws, regulations,  mandates, and store policies must have a way to provide goods and services to those who can't wear a mask. 

To make matters worse, there are deceptive information going around on social media saying that the ADA exempt you from wearing mask.  

So, how to accommodate a person that has reasonable reason for not wearing a mask at a match?

No..I will still go though...the government says I have "medical leave".   I do not wear them to stores or anywhere else. Our governor is an idiot.
Enough is enough, you're not even allowed to comment on news articles anymore on yahoo...I won't pay to be stifled at a SASS shoot. 
Seems like alot of folks are just rolling over.

What are you going to do when your leader declares it illegal to dress cowboy because it may offend?

Its amazing, and expected , when reading the comments in comparison to the area the commentor lives in.

Archived