SASS Wire Forum

Shenadoah River

Kinda slow here tonight, so I switched over to listen and watch some musical videos. Got hold of Tennessee Ernie Ford's

Shenandoah. Very moving song. Since I grew up on the banks of the Mississippi, I got moving water memories.

I have no knowledge of the Shenandoah, so I wondered if one of you folks that live near it or have visited it could

enlighten me about it.  Thanks for stoping by.

There are two Shenandoah rivers. A North Fork and a South Fork.

Whenever someone opines their place of origin, it is special if it is a winding river through a pine forest.

The smell of fresh fallen pine needles, the call of the bobwhite quail and the dancing shadows of a rising sun that lifts the morning dew.

Everyone has some place they remember as special and it is always the most magical place on earth.

The Shenandoah Valley is one of those places.

The two forks combine to form the Shenandoah river which then flows into the Potomac river at Harpers Ferry and then into the Chesapeake Bay.

I guess I slipped a few cogs on my big wheel. I had forgotten about my visit to Harpers Ferry back in the mid 1990s.

I saw the Potomic, but I didn't recognize the feeder that flows into it. Perhaps the tour guide mentioned it,

but I didn't pick up on it. Looking at it on the computer , it looks like it changes in it's course, as most river are wont to do. 

Thanks for helping me out here. :)

19 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

One of my favorites.

..........Widder

Pretty good, but I will admit to being biased to our version.

Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Doc, the picture and voices came up, but I didn't get the name of the chorus. 

Oops! I just looked and realized I wasn't sure it would come up, and failed to add that.

That would be the Columbus (Ohio) South High School Senior Choir, 1984. My senior year, I was a baritone. For a bunch of inner city high school kids, there was some incredible talent there, along with a very talented and driven choir teacher. 

12 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Oops! I just looked and realized I wasn't sure it would come up, and failed to add that.

That would be the Columbus (Ohio) South High School Senior Choir, 1984. My senior year, I was a baritone. For a bunch of inner city high school kids, there was some incredible talent there, along with a very talented and driven choir teacher. 

I can understand why you would be biased. I would be also. Very nice harmony, and very moving music. 

I also listened to one of my favorite female vocalist, Jo Stafford's version. That was inspirational. 

4 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I had forgotten about my visit to Harpers Ferry back in the mid 1990s.

I saw the Potomic, but I didn't recognize the feeder that flows into it. Perhaps the tour guide mentioned it,

but I didn't pick up on it. Looking at it on the computer , it looks like it changes in it's course, as most river are wont to do. 

I've been to Harpers Ferry a couple of times over the years. One of the most impressive things about it is the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah. I wouldn't describe the Shenandoah as a 'feeder', though....

Doc very impressive choir. My dad sang Baritone in Barber Shop Quartet. He always said the baritone’s sang all the notes the other three didn’t want to sing. I remember him playing tapes in the car as he drove and practicing his part.

CJ

Archived