SASS Wire Forum

Practice mistakes to avoid?

Shooting Bull

Great point about A2B & hesitation but the thin line one walks on that last shot is the slight hesitation to complete the shot versus leaning to much into the move that they are out of balance on the shot. IMO, perfection here might be hampered with dry fire but enhanced in live fire. Make sense?  I have noticed numerous times when Nuttin would be timing shooter he would emphasis MOVE when they fired last shot of that string so their hesitation was minimal.

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Great point about A2B & hesitation but the thin line one walks on that last shot is the slight hesitation to complete the shot versus leaning to much into the move that they are out of balance on the shot. IMO, perfection here might be hampered with dry fire but enhanced in live fire. Make sense?  I have noticed numerous times when Nuttin would be timing shooter he would emphasis MOVE when they fired last shot of that string so their hesitation was minimal.

Good point about leaning on your last shot. I specifically practice not leaning on the last shot but rather reacting to it. If the TO has time to tell me to move after the last shot, I have failed. 

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

As I mentioned earlier, that's one of the big things I've been working on.  MOVE after that last shot. Along with that I'm working on moving with purpose.  As has been very widely documented, I don't run.  But I do have long enough legs I can take a few steps and usually be where I need to be.  I noticed that sometimes I shuffle with little tiny steps and thus waste time.  I'm working on getting from A to B faster. 

Got any videos I could look at?

50 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Western Divisional #1

Western Divisional #2

These are the good ones. Too embarrassed to show the train wrecks. ;)

My friend Bull is a much better shooter than he gives himself credit for (unlike myself; who claims to be much better than I actually am).

Bulls biggest challenge in this game is between his ears - not that he is stupid, quite the contrary - he is almost too smart and too experienced.

Ill explain; Bull has been a dedicated and skilled competitor in other gun games and in other endeavors throughout his life - and a common thread in all of these pursuits has been an ongoing analysis toward improvement.

But because of this; (in my opinion and I'm not speaking out of school as Bull and I have discussed this before), Bull over thinks as he is shooting instead of letting himself sub consciously flow through the stage.

You can almost see him thinking "First pistol out, anchor your second hand.  Holster pistol - draw second pistol - anchor hand on rifle.".

He has broken the stage down into individual processes (analyzed each movement and transition) but his challenge is in putting the processes back together as a single cohesive unit.

Instead of performing A then B then C.

I feel a little bit that his discipline to doing "everything" right keeps him from relaxing and running that ragged edge that gains you the tenths, hundredths of a second that separate the top three to five positions.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Western Divisional #1

Western Divisional #2

These are the good ones. Too embarrassed to show the train wrecks. ;)

You're standing too close to smokestack. He'll try to trip you if you ain't careful.:P

Those looked good. Anybody can tear down anyone's video and say I'd have done this or that, but when it gets down to the nut cuttin' can they? Only thing I can honestly say is I can tell your brain is telling your body what to do. Not saying its doing anything bad, just that you're thinking about it. I don't know how often you shoot a match vs practice. If you shoot atleast 2 weekends a month and practice most days, try taking a week off from practicing before your next weekend shoot. I think that was the first point in my first reply. It helped me. I didn't realize I was over practicing and getting burned out. It got to where I was checking off a list running a stage instead of flowing. Then when something happened that wasn't on my list like fumbling a shell, everything went south the rest of the stage and turned into a train wreck. I know when that starts to happen now, that I'm over thinking it. Not the stage, just the little things. 

Hope that helps some, but what works for some doesn't for others. Feel free to call me and talk cowboy shooting or the fact that you're wrong about fords being better than Chevrolets. 

615-653-0291

On 7/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

When practicing with any gun, practice the complete operation.

From picking it up, firing and returning to the position you must leave it.

Does that include cussing about the misses? 

"Does that include cussing about the misses?" Ramblin Gambler

---------------

Interesting you should say that.

When I was helping other shooters get faster many years ago, I actually timed each move the shooter made and wrote down the times to see if changes helped or not.

I even timed when the shooter talked to the targets or the shot.

It turned out that talking to the stage will add as much as 5 to 7 seconds to the stage.

Cussing at the miss also added 2 or 3 seconds (each)n depending on how involved the rant get.

As soon as you pull the trigger, MOVE ON.

You can't change what has just happened.

The bullets will not respond in your favor if off target.

And the clock keeps running.

Besides, if you see the miss, you are looking at the wrong target.

You should be looking at the next target as you pull the trigger.

34 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Can we agree they’re both better than Dodge?:lol:

13 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yes sir!

Now I can understand why BOTH of you are messed up in the head.

I was gonna give some good advice on speed and such, but I now figure it will fall on deaf ears or slip on a nanner split peeling..... :lol:

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Now I can understand why BOTH of you are messed up in the head.

I was gonna give some good advice on speed and such, but I now figure it will fall on deaf ears or slip on a nanner split peeling..... :lol:

..........Widder

You again? I thought you fell in the barrel of a 460 Rowland and got lost! 

Pushing your edge in practice and not practicing backing it off before big matches.  

AND..... don't wait to hear the ding of your shot before going to your next shot.

If you're listening for the 'hit' before you cock your pistol or lever your rifle for the next shot, you better speed up your bullet velocities.

And if you wait for a SG target to fall before you engage the next one, you are really hampering yeowndangself with that type of 

SG shooting.    Get those SG targets in your mind as 1-2-3-4 and go for them WITHOUT any hesitations.

If one is still standing, come back to it (there are exceptions depending upon the placement of those SG targets).

But, I think you know what I'm talking about.

..........Widder

Don't pause if you miss.  Keep on with the sequence.

Even if you miss, concentrate on the next shot.  Worrying about a miss is a loss of concentration and an easy way to get a P.

17 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Can we agree they’re both better than Dodge?:lol:

You must be a mechanic.  Mechanic's hate Dodges because they can't make any money off of them.  Fords put food on their table, Chevys put gifts under their Christmas tree. 

42 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You must be a mechanic.  Mechanic's hate Dodges because they can't make any money off of them.  Fords put food on their table, Chevys put gifts under their Christmas tree. 

My baby has never let me down :wub:

1FF63BDB-1E9B-4F67-948D-BD8E257EC0BA.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

My baby has never let me down :wub:

1FF63BDB-1E9B-4F67-948D-BD8E257EC0BA.jpeg

Aww isn't that cute?  Your brand new truck hasn't had problems yet.  The oldest it can be is 2009.  Probably 2016 or newer because it looks like a second gen with the placement of the raptor graphic.  Does it even have 100,000 miles on it yet?  My dodge has over 530k.  It's the 5.9L gasoline engine.  So far the only major problems have been a plastic piece in the transmission that had to be replaced, and the computer started throwing a BS code because it had too much runtime and I had to replace it because you can't pass inspection with the check engine light on anymore. 

I was going to apologize to the OP for participating in the dodge/chevy/ford derail, but then I saw it was you. 

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Aww isn't that cute?  Your brand new truck hasn't had problems yet.  The oldest it can be is 2009.  Probably 2016 or newer because it looks like a second gen with the placement of the raptor graphic.  Does it even have 100,000 miles on it yet?  My dodge has over 530k.  It's the 5.9L gasoline engine.  So far the only major problems have been a plastic piece in the transmission that had to be replaced, and the computer started throwing a BS code because it had too much runtime and I had to replace it because you can't pass inspection with the check engine light on anymore. 

I was going to apologize to the OP for participating in the dodge/chevy/ford derail, but then I saw it was you. 

20200326_185034.thumb.jpg.e570b52e0704ca4ed9aa54c69d9ee9d1.jpg

Mine farted out a dodge yesterday. Have to clean it tomorrow.

Archived