SASS Wire Forum

Interesting thought

Alpo

Got a replacement credit card in the mail today. After I activated it the recording on the phone told me to be sure to sign the back of it.

Why?

I have not signed for a credit card purchase in over 2 years. It has been at least 10 years since the cashier wanted to see the signature on the back of the card to make sure that it was actually me.

Why sign the back? What purpose does it serve anymore?

The signature on the back of the card is generally accepted to be the actual signature of the account holder.

When the cardholder makes a credit card purchase and signs the sales ticket, sometimes the store will match the signature on the credit card ticket against the signature in the back of the card. They should match.

Cat Brules

I use my card at the post office for my P.O. Box, to mail things and for stamps, all work related. They always check, and said if it weren't signed, they needed other form of payment, such as cash or debit.

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

The signature on the back of the card is generally accepted to be the actual signature of the account holder.

When the cardholder makes a credit card purchase and signs the sales ticket, sometimes the store will match the signature on the credit card ticket against the signature in the back of the card. They should match.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I use my card at the post office for my P.O. Box, to mail things and for stamps, all work related. They always check, and said if it weren't signed, they needed other form of payment, such as cash or debit.

These two are almost the complete answer.

It is a signature card, no further ID required (or to be checked) if the signatures match. If signatures don't match or the card is not signed, then the retailer is allowed (supposed) to ask for ID.

Finally, if an unsigned card is stolen, then the thief can sign it and use it leaving you to dispute charges. And if the card is not signed, you can not claim the signatures don't match.

Writing "Check ID" on the back of the card may or may not be within the cardholder agreement for your particular card, check with your card issuer.

The two Post Offices that I use routinely have the card reader built into a touch screen unit that only the customer uses to make selections regarding how they want their mail or packages handled. The clerk never touches or even sees your card unless the machine malfunctions!

Cat, you are talking ancient history.

When I first got a credit card they were doing the little plastic card thing with the carbons. And I signed it. And they would usually compare the signature to the signature on the back of the card.

Then they came out with electronic card readers where you swiped it. You then signed the little pad on the card reader. The clerk would occasionally ask to see your card and look at the back to see if it had a signature, but they never saw what you signed, so they could not compare them.

Now the cards have a chip. The machine reads the chip. You do not have to sign anything. Apparently they assumed that if you have the card it is your card.

As I said in my original post, I have not had the sign for a credit card purchase in 2 years or more. For several years before that, even though I signed the credit card reader, I never had the show the card to the clerk.

My question is not so much WHY SHOULD I SIGN THE CARD, but more WHY DO THEY STILL REQUIRE A SIGNATURE?

I don't sign, I write in Show ID. But I have never been checked, especially with chip cards. If I leave my area I contact the company and tell them where I am going and for how long.

I've been doing things wrong for 30 years!

I've NEVER signed my legal signature on a credit card receipt.  NEVER. 

All they get is 2 pen strokes- a first and last initial connected and the 3rd letter of my last name followed by a squiggly line for the rest of the name. In fact, I have told the credit card company (starting with the local bank that originally issued the card) repeatedly that if they ever see a transaction with a full signature, then it's fraudalant.

The same goes for the automated card swipers.

I don't sign credit cards either.  If they want to check my ID, I've got 2 state issued picture ID's in the next little pocket in the wallet from where I keep the card.

Don't sign it then....

And someday when you desperately need to use that card to pay for a hotel room because you need to rent a room because a snow storm shut down the highway (or something similar) the clerk will look at the back of the card and say "This card isn''t signed. I cannot accept this." and it's the only card you have because you decided to lighten your wallet and they wouldn't accept a check and they wouldn't accept your ID to verify the signature  that you offer to put on the card at the counter. You get to sleep in your car.

Guess how I know  this...

Oh, and something else, don't use  a fine permanent marker to sign you name. It WILL wear off. Use a ballpoint ink pen.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The two Post Offices that I use routinely have the card reader built into a touch screen unit that only the customer uses to make selections regarding how they want their mail or packages handled. The clerk never touches or even sees your card unless the machine malfunctions!

Yeah. Even at our little one person country office.

I can’t remember the last time anybody anywhere checked the signature on any of my credit cardS.

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Don't sign it then....

And someday when you desperately need to use that card to pay for a hotel room because you need to rent a room because a snow storm shut down the highway (or something similar) the clerk will look at the back of the card and say "This card isn''t signed. I cannot accept this." and it's the only card you have because you decided to lighten your wallet and they wouldn't accept a check and they wouldn't accept your ID to verify the signature  that you offer to put on the card at the counter. You get to sleep in your car.

Oh, and something else, don't use  a fine permanent marker to sign you name. It WILL wear off. Use a ballpoint ink pen.

I’ve seen those people let me sign the card, THEN THEY ACCEPTED IT.  ;)<_<

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’ve seen those people let me sign the card, THEN THEY ACCEPTED IT.  ;)<_<

I did as well. They compared my newly signed card to the signature on my license. Unfortunately that wasn't the time I needed a room...

I’ve written “See Photo ID” on the signature strip. As you say most places you just shove it in the slot and wait for it to read the chip. However, at restaurants where the waiter/waitress takes the card away to run it they almost always ask to see my ID, which I am happy to show. To me, that means they are paying attention. 

As Pat says, use a ball point to write.

CJ

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Don't sign it then....

If they did that, I would be forced to buy the hotel and fire the employee:ph34r:.

The employee is at fault in your circumstance. Its a safeguard so they verify you're the rightful user by verifying the name on your ID and the card is the same. They don't have to if the card is signed. Then they compare the two signatures.

14 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

If they did that, I would be forced to buy the hotel and fire the employee:ph34r:.

The employee is at fault in your circumstance. Its a safeguard so they verify you're the rightful user by verifying the name on your ID and the card is the same. They don't have to if the card is signed. Then they compare the two signatures.

Yeah, that argument does a lot of good at 22:00 hours in the middle of no where. 

35 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I aint changing my ways cause some people are ignorant or stupid.

No one asked you to...did they? ;)

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No one asked you to...did they? ;)

You sure have disagreed with everything I've said today with some snarky replies. Seems like you're trying to. That or you got up on the wrong side of the bed.:o

49 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

You sure have disagreed with everything I've said today with some snarky replies. Seems like you're trying to. That or you got up on the wrong side of the bed.:o

No offense meant. Just because I disagree doesn’t mean either of us is right, right? :D

I just make sure I don’t leave myself in a lurch through my stubbornness any more. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No offense meant. Just because I disagree doesn’t mean either of us is right, right? :D

I just make sure I don’t leave myself in a lurch through my stubbornness any more. 

Wrong again! I'm glad you disagree with me or we'd both be right.:D

Remember that one, it comes in handy.

18 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Wrong again! I'm glad you disagree with me or we'd both be right.:D

Remember that one, it comes in handy.

I will. :lol:

Archived