SASS Wire Forum

More than just a shooter

JohnWesleyHardin

Playing a guitar is like shooting.  You do it over and over until it becomes 2nd nature and you don't even have to think about it.

I play my little Baby Martin everyday! I love that little dude!!;)

Only thing I can play is the radio! 

A few months ago I was contemplating pickin up the guitar again after several decades. But I believe my old fingers, particularly on the left, just aren’t going to permit it. :(

I fiddle around with a Native American Style Flute I made from some PVC pipe. I’m told I have to call it Style as a Native American didn’t make it (more PC c#@p). I don’t have music for it I just tootle away as I feel like. I’m also told I ain’t half bad at it.

I wished to learn to pick a Banjo like Roy Clark. However, like UB my left hand will not cooperate, nor my right hand either for that matter. So I bought a Mountain Dulcimer to play. I don’t need to fret but one string and I can use a hardwood stick to do that. Then just strum it with a pick. Not to hard for an old geezer.

CJ

I'm trying to learn Clawhammer banjo, I think it's helping my gunfighter skills...

av_84378_51230.jpg.526e30f65bba44d76d415c040a05ed3f.jpg

I can get most of the way through a couple tunes after about 3 weeks :D

20 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Then do you mean the LX1 Little Martin? Been looking for one that doesn't crowd me out of easy chair like straight size

That’s it! I forgot the actual name of it. It’s often referred to as a “Baby Martin”. There are a couple different models of it. I highly recommend it and yes I play it on my recliner everyday! :lol:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s it! I forgot the actual name of it. It’s often referred to as a “Baby Martin”. There are a couple different models of it. I highly recommend it and yes I play it on my recliner everyday! :lol:

I meant like dreadnaught size...My Taylor 810 gets burdensome at times.

3 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I meant like dreadnaught size...My Taylor 810 gets burdensome at times.

I know I have a dreadnaught also, that’s why I play the little Martin.

No.

I tried taking up guitar a few years ago. I cannot make my left hand do 6 strings. As big as my hands are I can plink around a bit on a mandolin but I still need lots of practice. At least my dog doesn’t howl when I play around with it. The harmonica is a different story. :lol:

This string got me thinking and I dug up my Bagpipes, just to look at mind you. I can tuttle on the NA Flute but the Pipes take way more wind than I have left. I once was a member of a band known as the Irish Warpipes. We marched in parades especially on St Patrick’s Day. We also played at the Hibernian Society diner.

CJ

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Wutz a radio?

You probably know is as a Marconi Device.

I haven't picked up an instrument in probably ten years, but I used to play in local establishments with an informal group of locals called "The Parlor Pickers". Whoever showed up, showed up. :D Fiddle & mandolin mainly, but a little banjo & guitar now and then too - tried the dulcimer, but never really got the hang of it.

Mandolin.jpg.e1bcd68d3c6a3eb50f0baf94f8579ced.jpg

The only portable instrument I have is a 26-string clairseach with sharping pins.  They kept telling me 'if you can play keyboards you can play a harp.'  Not so much.  I can coax a tune out of it but that's about all.  Daddy played dobros.  Grandson #2 plays cello.  As far as I'm concerned, stringed instruments require a certain amount of magic or miracle.

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A few months ago I was contemplating pickin up the guitar again after several decades. But I believe my old fingers, particularly on the left, just aren’t going to permit it. :(

“C’Mon, Man!”  Give it a shot!   It’ll be fun.   :)

8 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

This string got me thinking and I dug up my Bagpipes, just to look at mind you. I can tuttle on the NA Flute but the Pipes take way more wind than I have left. I once was a member of a band known as the Irish Warpipes. We marched in parades especially on St Patrick’s Day. We also played at the Hibernian Society diner.

CJ

I have a couple practice chanters.... people have no idea how much work it is to make a bagpipe work. You got to have lungs like a bloody hurricane...   Soooooooooooo I hooked a chanter up to the small compressor and tried 5 PSI......

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You probably know is as a Marconi Device.

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't eat much Macaroni so I'm still lost.

we knows it as a "wireless" ..... :blush:

Archived