SASS Wire Forum

Derringer work. Who?

Rawhide Rio

I have a 1895 Remington derringer with a cracked/ broken henge. Who fixes them?  Also an Excam .38 special derringer that could use some lightning in the mainspring department. Anyone?

17 hours ago, Rawhide Rio said:

I have a 1895 Remington derringer with a cracked/ broken henge. Who fixes them?  Also an Excam .38 special derringer that could use some lightning in the mainspring department. Anyone?

I will check with a friend of mine who does some work on them.  He does NOT fix the hinge, but I believe he knows someone who does.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:47 PM, Rawhide Rio said:

My friend is checking on the smith who used to repair Remington derringers.  It would help to get details on the cracked hinge.  Usually, the left hinge is the one most likely to crack/break, due to being weaker from the counterbore for the head of the hinge screw.  Is that the hinge that is cracked?  Secondly, is the hinge "simply" cracked, or is part of it missing altogether?  If the hinge is intact except for the crack, is the crack at about "4:30 o'clock" as you look at the left side of the gun?  If that is the problem, it can be brazed or silver soldered.  (It also depends on the finish of the gun.  Is it blued or nickel plated?)  If part of the hinge is actually missing, then the repair is more complex...and expensive.  In that case, the hinge can either be built up using a TIG-weld, with a 0.08% carbon wire, and then filed to shape, bored out and counterbored for the screw head.  The other was is to use a piece o 3/16" round steel rod, brazed to the body (after milling off the remnants of the original hinge).  It can be done, but is labor intensive, and expensive.  If that is the case, you might be better off to sell the gun for parts, and buy yourself one with the hinges intact!  BTW, the reason for hinges cracking is NOT due to recoil or pressure on the gun.  Rather, it is due to the barrels being flipped open hard! 

Please let me know the condition of the gun and the hinge. Stay well.  BTW, what inscription is on the barrels, either on top or the sides, and what is the serial number?  We will add that to our data base for these guns. 

Your obedient servant,

Trailrider

On 7/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

My friend is checking on the smith who used to repair Remington derringers.  It would help to get details on the cracked hinge.  Usually, the left hinge is the one most likely to crack/break, due to being weaker from the counterbore for the head of the hinge screw.  Is that the hinge that is cracked?  Secondly, is the hinge "simply" cracked, or is part of it missing altogether?  If the hinge is intact except for the crack, is the crack at about "4:30 o'clock" as you look at the left side of the gun?  If that is the problem, it can be brazed or silver soldered.  (It also depends on the finish of the gun.  Is it blued or nickel plated?)  If part of the hinge is actually missing, then the repair is more complex...and expensive.  In that case, the hinge can either be built up using a TIG-weld, with a 0.08% carbon wire, and then filed to shape, bored out and counterbored for the screw head.  The other was is to use a piece o 3/16" round steel rod, brazed to the body (after milling off the remnants of the original hinge).  It can be done, but is labor intensive, and expensive.  If that is the case, you might be better off to sell the gun for parts, and buy yourself one with the hinges intact!  BTW, the reason for hinges cracking is NOT due to recoil or pressure on the gun.  Rather, it is due to the barrels being flipped open hard! 

Please let me know the condition of the gun and the hinge. Stay well.  BTW, what inscription is on the barrels, either on top or the sides, and what is the serial number?  We will add that to our data base for these guns. 

Your obedient servant,

Trailrider

Let me pull it out of the safe in the morning and check, I'm pretty sure it is the right side hinge, but I check tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks.   RRio

Archived