SASS Wire Forum

Newly adopted phrase

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."--Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

20 hours ago, DocWard said:

That's a new one on me.

???lava???

1 hour ago, Noz said:

???lava???

The use of the word in other than a very specific set of meanings, be it the stuff that flows from a volcano or a very rough hand soap. Used as a part of everyday speech though, yes.

11 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Heck, he was trying to write so that the reader would know how he was pronouncing the words.  Didn't you ever have Hooked On Phonics?
Grammar wise, I occasionally say "ain't" even though I know it ain't proper.

Duffield

But did you know that "ain't is a proper contraction for "are not"?

So while it is improper for me to say "you ain't saying it right," if more than one did it I would be proper saying "they ain't saying it right."

41 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

My favorite is "He has SFB".   Can't be anything more ignorant than Number 2.

Careful some people would take that as a challenge. 

I am surprised that my post drew the attention that it did. The discussion over my use of “your” vs “you’re” being the main topic I thought I would clear the air.  This is how the blunder occurred.  I had finished my evening’s libations and was reading the Newly adopted phrase thread, which I found humorous. I had a idea for a comment I thought had a certain degree of home spun humor and posted it. I just typed what I heard in my mind without regard to spelling.  I know the difference between your and you’re and the correct usage.

I would have given this much more thought had I known that a SASS saloon post was also an application to join the “illiterate or lazy” club. I will try to be less impulsive in the future.

Also if I end up in the club, I will save a seat next to me for those like me who make a mistake, for instance:

“It just seems to me that if you were going to post about someone else's intelligence, you should make sure that your post is spelled and punctuated correctly, because otherwise it casts asparagus on your intelligence”

I don’t even like asparagus and don’t know how to throw them on my intelligence.

But the burning question for all of us, at least me is: When you think of a star who is the first celebrity that comes to mind? Who thinks of Walter Mathau?

Forty Rod I am sorry that my post derailed this thread, I was enjoying the replies.

But Walter Mathau????

On 7/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, John Kloehr said:

But did you know that "ain't is a proper contraction for "are not"?

So while it is improper for me to say "you ain't saying it right," if more than one did it I would be proper saying "they ain't saying it right."

Close, but no cigar: "ain't" is a proper contraction of "am I not" per the Oxford Dictionary.  It have been changed since 1958 when I first looked it up, but that's when and where I found it.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Close, but no cigar: "ain't" is a proper contraction of "am I not" per the Oxford Dictionary.  It have been changed since 1958 when I first looked it up, but that's when and where I found it.

OK, I found a bunch of documentation and history references that were not in my high school library. Here is one:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/196395/when-did-aint-become-slang

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

OK, I found a bunch of documentation and history references that were not in my high school library. Here is one:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/196395/when-did-aint-become-slang

Your research appears to be more extensive than mine.  (You got too much free time, hoss.).  Language, especially so-called English, is very fluid and what was true no longer is.  "Pretty" and "silly" changed places about the time we became a nation, and look at some others that aren't waht they were even a decade ago.

I'm fallible, ain't?  :o  :D

Go for broke.

6 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Last time I adopted some new phrases was after having binge watched the entire Deadwood series...  Sorry, but none of those phrases are acceptable on this here forum... nor in business meetings as HR has since informed me...:blink:

..... so "rooster lollipop" is not acceptable ? :o

Archived