SASS Wire Forum

Question,  my wife just purchased a Kimber micro 9 pistol so I will be adding 9mm to my reloading process.

can I size the Lee 358-125-rf  down to .356" and use a 125 grain cast bullet recipe? 

Thanks

Chestnut Louie

image.png

Experimentation is the spice of life.  I've known guys that did similar with good results.  Others get severe tumbling out of the bullets.  

Ive gone to FMJ and JHP on all my 9mm.  I get lots better accuracy and consistency in chambering that way.

1 hour ago, chestnut louie said:

Question,  my wife just purchased a Kimber micro 9 pistol so I will be adding 9mm to my reloading process.

can I size the Lee 358-125-rf  down to .356" and use a 125 grain cast bullet recipe? 

Thanks

Chestnut Louie

image.png

Try the bullet but verify the load recipe. 

15 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Experimentation is the spice of life.  I've known guys that did similar with good results.  Others get severe tumbling out of the bullets.  

Ive gone to FMJ and JHP on all my 9mm.  I get lots better accuracy and consistency in chambering that way.

I couldn't say it any better than that.

With bulk 9mm ammo prices these days, really take a look at just buying hardball and not worrying about reloading.

I used to fanatically reload everything.  Then started looking at the price of components, the price of loaded ammo, and the value I put on my time.

I haven’t reloaded 9mm, 40SW, or 12 gauge in a long time.  

But out if you really enjoy reloading, what you describe should work.  You’ll have to experiment to be sure, but you’re on a good path.

55 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

With bulk 9mm ammo prices these days, really take a look at just buying hardball and not worrying about reloading.

I used to fanatically reload everything.  Then started looking at the price of components, the price of loaded ammo, and the value I put on my time.

I haven’t reloaded 9mm, 40SW, or 12 gauge in a long time.  

But out if you really enjoy reloading, what you describe should work.  You’ll have to experiment to be sure, but you’re on a good path.

Where are you finding competitive prices these days?  

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The type of rifing will also say if you should shoot lead.

Glock and H&K are 2 makers that tell you not to use lead.

OLG 

In the new rifled barrels lead is okay in Glocks. M newer Gen 3’s and my Gen 5 have rifled, not polygonal barrels. I haven’t tried nor intend to try lead, though. 

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In the new rifled barrels lead is okay in Glocks. M newer Gen 3’s and my Gen 5 have rifled, not polygonal barrels. I haven’t tried nor intend to try lead, though. 

Good point on the Marksman bbls that Glock calls'em. Still....

OLG 

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good point on the Marksman bbls that Glock calls'em. Still....

OLG 

Honestly, I think the polygonal barrels were better. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Honestly, I think the polygonal barrels were better. 

I fit bar-sto’s to a couple of mine and they love lead now , plus the sizing die doesn’t have to work so hard on the brass . Not that 9 takes much effort. 

47 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I never had to reload 9mm before now. I cast my own boolits so it's paying big-time now.

I was in the local gunshop today and when I was paying the owner asked me if there was anything else I wanted. I said small pistol primers. We both laughed . :) 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Never had an issue with one in rifle or handgun.

OLG 

I agree. What I should have said was “more accurate”. The Gen 3 Glock 34 I had would run rings around the one I have regarding accuracy. 

Also my Marlin 336 is one accurate 30-30. That gun is a keeper. 

53 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was in the local gunshop today and when I was paying the owner asked me if there was anything else I wanted. I said small pistol primers. We both laughed . :) 

After the last great panic I got smarter. I'm good on primers. And .22s. 

40 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Me too , but I still probably would have bought 5000 if he had them :) 

Most certainly!

Archived