SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy action pistols for Females.

Dirty Dutch Brody

My wife started with two 7.5" K-Vaqueros with Super Blackhawk grip frames in 2002(?).

She still shoots them.

She is a physical therapist assistant so she has the strength for them.

But lately she's been thinking of trying a pair of my 5.5" K-Bisley Vaqueros for main matches.

She hasn't been a fan of the Bisley grip frames and triggers.

But we'll figure it out at the next couple shoots.

scrimshawed_ruger_sixguns (2).jpg

I have 3 pairs of "original" Vaqueros in .357, .44 mag, & .45 Colt. My wife found that these were too heavy for her, so we bought her a pair of "lady sized" SASS Vaqueros in .357 and once she had them worked on has never complained about their performance.

My wife has small hands and uses Cimarron Lightning pistols. They’re much lighter and the trigger distancing is perfect for her. 

I kinda go along with Black Hills Barb..

I started back in '03 shooting the big old model Vaquero's

in 38 special.. 5 1/2" barrels..

When my wife started the next year (after shooting my Vaquero's)

she wanted the same set.. She has small hands but handled them fine..

She wanted purtier ones so I got her a set in stainless..

After shooting them for a year or so a couple ladies in our group

TOLD her she NEEDED some smaller pistols.. To fit her hands better.. Sooo...

I got her a set of Ruger single sixes.. in 32 cal..

She shot them about a year maybe.. Said they had more recoil..

She went back to her original Vaquero's and hasn't looked back..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' she finally let me sell 'em about 3 years ago  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

My Boss, Maid Jalaff, shot Old Model Ruger 4-5/8 inch Vaqueros in .38 SPL (3.4 gr. W-231/125 TC) for over ten years without issue.  Then Carpal Tunnel Syndrome appeared.  After surgery, she had diminished range of motion and grip strength.  She found a pair of 6.5 inch octagonal-barrel Filli Pietta 1873 SAA's on sale at Cabelas.  Lighter, lowered hammer spur, and "Bisley-ish" grips that fit her hand well.  Not having to get her thumb over the stock Ruger hammers made a BIG difference whether shooting Traditional or Duelist.  Shoots well completely "stock."  Base pin "depth" re: hammer safety took a little getting used to.

Don't shop for guns on a weekend.  As others have noted, walk away from the gun counter during the "OK...then try this one" sales pitch.  (And you thought shopping for shoes was bad.)  Return...with cash... only when called.

5 1/2” open tops in 357 or 44 special are very light and easy to shoot. If they fit her hands they are natural pointers and they don’t look like everybody else’s revolver.

Definitely let the wife make the choice. 

Archived