SASS Wire Forum

Cap Size for the Uberti Remington 1858 Revolver

Mountain Man Gramps

I'm doing some checking into the Remington 1858 reproduction by Uberti and am finding conflicting information about the proper cap size to use.  Some say Remington #11 but you have to crimp them to get them to stay.  Others say use CCI #10's.  Still others say CCI #10's are too small.  If you have one ,what do you use?  Did you replace the factory nipples to resolve this problem?  If so what nipples and caps did you end up using?

Since the only caps anyone has in stock are Remington #11's, is there a nipple for the 1858 that will accept #11's?  Are Remington #11's and CCI #11's interchangeable?

After spending too much of today looking into this topic, I've decided to take Sedalia Dave's advice - replace the original nipples with Slix Shot nipples that take CCI 11's or Remington 11's (doable but a looser fit according to Badman Bullets). 

Thanks Dave and Dawg.

1 hour ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

After spending too much of today looking into this topic, I've decided to take Sedalia Dave's advice - replace the original nipples with Slix Shot nipples that take CCI 11's or Remington 11's (doable but a looser fit according to Badman Bullets). 

Thanks Dave and Dawg.

Remington #10’s not Remington 11’s.

Yes, Mako's Treatise does answer all questions.  I now understand why there are multiple conclusions about what cap size to use after looking over the dimensions of various caps.  Thanks everyone!

This thread is such a good example of how helpful and friendly the SASS community is.

2 hours ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

Yes, Jedediah- Starr (still) does.  But he’s charging $53.49 for hazmat and shipping, way more than anyone else.

You're right the price is steep and a lot more than others charge, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to keep shooting ;) :FlagAm:

12 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

almost hate to give this out but Jedediah-Starr has Remington and CCI caps in both sizes in stock.  I bought 2K from them, took about 10 days from order to delivery.

#10 caps out of stock, all he shows left is Remington #11s.

Well, lots of different opinions but I can tell you what I did when I was actively shooting a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  Used a pair, an EMF Hartford 1858 Remington and a Pietta 1858 Remington, both from the early 90's with an extra cylinder for each.  I think EMF was made by ASM at the time but don't know for sure.  I used Remington #10 caps with the stock nipples on both, and never had issues or thought I should try something else. 

1 hour ago, portugeejn said:

Well, lots of different opinions but I can tell you what I did when I was actively shooting a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  Used a pair, an EMF Hartford 1858 Remington and a Pietta 1858 Remington, both from the early 90's with an extra cylinder for each.  I think EMF was made by ASM at the time but don't know for sure.  I used Remington #10 caps with the stock nipples on both, and never had issues or thought I should try something else. 

Portugeenjn,

You are right. I'm still shooting my EMF Hartford 58's made by ASM. Got mine in the early '90's. Still using the original nipples and they use CCI #10s.

Jasper

I wish I still had that.  It had lots of life left in it & whoever ended up with it got a good one. 

Archived