SASS Wire Forum

Miroku tang safety?

Turkey Flats Jack

Jack, just for understanding:

* The 'tang' is on the rear of the action and the safety's there lock the hammers

*  Lever safety's under the action by the trigger,, as you have been informed, above the finger lever and when  not touching the lever closed prevent the bolt from operating for the firing to strike the primer

The lever safety on a 73 is an authentic feature.   I am fairly certain that it was one of the improvements made to the 73 over the 66.   I say fairly certain because I don't have a real one to check it on.   Interestingly, my Uberti made Henry does not have have the lever safety, but my Uberti 66 does.

My Winchester 73 has the feature.IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.ff091c5878174db6f890b79b2d288459.JPG

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.fcd5fe820c1fc4810d4daec2f1c1574b.JPG

I would assume that the 76, being an upscaled 73 would also have it.   The 86 and 92 do not have the feature, but the 94 does.

IMG_0984.thumb.JPG.a8f76940df7f70b9f7961be95c102767.JPG

Heck, you can make the case that the 95 has it

IMG_0980.thumb.JPG.aef4ddebc7198afbcc79e0c8fd0fcc21.JPG''

If that hook on the back is not locked into the lever when fully closed, it will not fire.

It's interesting to see how this feature came and went over the years.

29 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Jack, just for understanding:

* The 'tang' is on the rear of the action and the safety's there lock the hammers

*  Lever safety's under the action by the trigger,, as you have been informed, above the finger lever and when  not touching the lever closed prevent the bolt from operating for the firing to strike the primer

Yeah had a moment of mouth moving before brain functioning. However the lever safety is on the lower tang is it not? 

9 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Yeah had a moment of mouth moving before brain functioning. However the lever safety is on the lower tang is it not? 

Yes, it just ensures that the lever is up all the way before firing.

Archived