SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Shotguns??

Slowhand Bob, 24229

After being locked in for too long my old brain is tending to wander too much BUT,  I recently purchased a rather nice looking old Rossi coach gun in 20ga.  Not knowing if I will ever even get a chance to try her out, it has planted an itch that I am wanting to scratch.  Were these available in 12 and 410 ga versions and were they considered decent quality guns?  The idea of a 410 actually intrigues me most were they available and at what prices?  Were these considered decent little guns?  Probably thinking more for play than for any serious business (a companion for my S&W Governor)? 

Had one in 20ga and it was a well made, reliable shotgun but I didn’t like it much for CAS.  The first time I tried swiping across both hammers to cock them, all I accomplished was leaving a good bit of skin on the ears (stiff springs and small ears), and the receiver was too small to have the right hammer cocked while broken open.  Think I might have seen one in .410 once but not certain.

I have several 12ga, two 20ga and one 410ga.

The 12s and 20 are 20" barrel guns.

The 410 is 28" barrel.

I had thought about cutting the 410 then decided to leave it as it was.

The 410 took me 4 or 5 years to find.

It cost me $450 when the 12s and 20s were about $275 to $300.

I paid the price because I wanted it.

There were very few 410s imported.

My understanding was less than 500 total.

If you find one and want it, do not hesitate to buy.

Hagle a little but remember you may never find another for sale.

-------------

All I shoot in CAS are Rossi hammered guns.

I do not try to cock both hammers with one thumb.

I shot with 6 time world champion (1990s) for years and watch him run his double.

I was looking for somewhere where his hands where not doing anything and learns to cok both hammers at the same time with two thumbs.

This point as from when the two rounds where dropped in the barrels down just above the belt when the barrels are closed.

My trigger finger does not leave the trigger gaurd and will reach the right hammer.

As I close the gun, I slid my left hand up to the left hammer and cock it as I shoulder the gun.

As the barrels are raised to target, my left hand slids forward to the end of the forward stock and which time I clamp down and fior the first barrel.

I am sure there may be more to this but I have done it for so long, it just happens.

I have 2 97s that I shoot but that is very seldom. (maybe twice a year when I was shooting 6 to 8 times a month.

I have one in 20 gauge, and a "Greener' action Rossi, in 12 gauge.  My 20 gauge was purchased way before S.A.S.S. was a glint in the Wild Bunch's eye, so perhaps that is why they are not "set up" for S.A.S.S. competition.  I have a chinee made Cimarron, that has the external hammers, positioned in a lot more advantageous location to be cocked faster/easer, than the Rossi's.  But, the Rossi's are built like an anvil.  The 20 gauge kicks like a Missouri mule, more so than the 12 gauge.  Not sure why...perhaps because it is lighter, than the 12 gauge.  I don't shoot magnums in it, but it is made to shoot them if I am in the mood to really punish myself.  

Yep, takes some practice, and getting used to, if you want to use them in a match.  They are not for everybody, and some won't like them when compared to the one's more recently built, that are more apt to be "set up" for C.A.S. 

They don't seem to last too long, when offered for sale, so the market must be pretty descent for them.

Perhaps someone else knows, but I am not sure if they import/make them, anymore, so...if that is the case, perhaps they sell fast because they are rare, and they are not making anymore. 

W.K.

29 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Perhaps someone else knows, but I am not sure if they import/make them, anymore, so...if that is the case, perhaps they sell fast because they are rare, and they are not making anymore. 

W.K.

Rossi Overland imports ceased in 1988 according to "Blue Book of Gun Values".

Another source states that they were manufactured from 1969-1989.

I had a couple of thoughts worth mentioning.

On the 12ga shotguns there are three different locks.

1. The Greener type lock where a rod slides through a hole in the lock block between the barrels.

I had one and sold it withinj a week.

Reason; the rod that slides to open the barrels extends out past the recoil shield.

It is shaped to the curve of the shield and if your hand goes across the end of the rod, you will bleed from the insuing cut.

2 & 3. There is a metal block between the barrels.

One is small and only goes half way down betweent he barrels.

The other is larger and goes down all the way between the barrels and is longer by half. This goes back farther in to the recoil shiels.

I prefer the large block models.

The release lever is not the same on all guns.

I choose only those that would release the barrels without having to cock the right hammer.

I passed on those that required cocking to open.

Weak part on the Rossi double is the barrel hinge.

The stop will break easily after heavy use.

This required my gunsmith to fix.

The fix was to cut the rest of the stop out and make a heavier stop at which time the stop could be modified to allow the barrels to open slightly mmore to give a little more clearence for the rounds being loaded.

The barrels come up and clear the recoil shield by about 3/16" where the original clearence is about 1/8".

The hammer locks can be modified to let the hammers fall farther but still rebound to the original safety notch.

The side plates are held in with two screws.

The front screw goes in to the gun frame.

The back screw goes in to a through tube to the other side lock.

So, to remove one sile, remov both screws.

Then if you want to remove the other side, only remove the front screw.

Both sides will come out with just wiggling the hammers a little.

There is a bar across the hammer cam to hold it in place.

On 2 of my guns, when the 2 screws where tightened, the hammer would not fall easily.

I made tube shims the screws when through to hold the bar up just enough so the hammer falls freely.

I made several shim tubes because I kept trying to gethem tighter.

I can now tighten the 2 screws and not bind the hammer cam.

Some where I have a drawing of the back side of the hammer lock showing where I files to make the hammer fall farther.

I will post it if I find it.

============

Found it.

rossi.jpg

WOW, thanks for so many really good answers.  I am not really well heeled a this stage of the game but will be keeping a close lookout for other examples.  My memory frequently fails me BUT I do think I might have owned a 12ga Rossy in the early 90s and ended up going for a hammerless gun, it took me a year or so to get addicted to the real smoke guns could make.  If I were still a shooter my choice would no doubt be either a Pedersoli or a CZ but there was something just mighty attractive about this little beauty.  HMMM, a bit reminiscent to when the young country boy first entered high school and saw all of them pretty young ladies hearded up into one location!!!!:wub:                         

Archived