SASS Wire Forum

specs of the 357 browning 92

stef75

might have a chance to buy one of these. I know a little about them, I think they ran for about 5 years in the 80's, quality was seen as good and they have less add on parts than the later winchester/miroku 92's. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the barrels slug at and the barrel rate of twist is? Also where do they rate on the ability to feed 38 specials? Like a Rossi, or better/worse?

Good rifles. Better quality than the Rossi's. Fewer made in .357 so they are generally worth more than the .44 Magnum version. Like the Marlin .357,  they can be  particular on bullet types and cartridge overall length. The 1.5 or 1.55 COL is a good length to try for if you want to use .38 Special cases.  Not as likely as the Rossi to chuck out .38s, but if too short they can have feed problems. Each one is a little different. Years ago before the short stroking of 66-73s , the Marlin's and 92s were favorites because of reliability and significant less cost than the Italian guns, If you are not after the fastest lever gun, you cannot go wrong with the Browning 92s. The 92s are more involved to break down and clean than the 66-73 or the Marlin so when it is time to do a big cleaning plan on a little more time to do it.  

I shot one for 7 or 8 years. I bought it from a former National Champion and it had the full race tune, but I forget who did it. I don't have it any more, so I can't give you bore specs, but mine liked RNFP 158's loaded at 1.54". In addition to being length- sensitive, it never really fed any other bullet reliably. 

But, after being used continuously by two different owners, from 2000 to 2018, it still ran like a swiss watch and was deadly accurate. Another new shooter is enjoying it right now.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Nate Kiowa Jones #6765  Would be the man to ask.

The Browning B-92 in 357 Mag. was introduced in 1982. The B-92's in 44 mags are more common because they were first made in 1979. All were discontinued in 1987.They were made in japan by Miroku, same folks making the most recent Win 92'.  However the B-92's didn't have all the add-on liability parts like the current Win/Miroku 92's. 

The Browning B-92's are some really well made guns when it comes to fit and finish. But, as mentioned they tend to be ammo sensitive, more so than the Rossi. This is because the B-92 and the win/Miroku 92 basically used the same geometry for the cartridge guides as the original Win 92's. At first glance this doesn't seem like a bad thing. But, the original guides were designed around the bottleneck cartridge of the day. Ammo like 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 and 25-20. Bottlenecks always feed better than straightwall ammo, whether it is a rifle cal or a pistol cal. That's because you have a small diameter bullet going into a really big hole by comparison, the bottleneck chamber being much like a funnel.

The fit and finish of the Rossi is not near as nice as the Miroku guns. But, Rossi figured out many years ago that if you change the angle of the rim slot in the guide so it pick the rear up sooner they tend to be less ammo sensitive.

One other issue is the twist. I never measured the 357 b-92 but i did check several of the 44's. They all had a 1 in 38 twist which didn't always stabilize lead very well. I was told the 357's also had the 1 in 38" twist as well.

Rossi's have 1 in 29" which works unless you plan to use any of the 170  or 200 gr 357 leads at subsonic vels. 

I built this thing planning to use the 200's at about 1000 FPS. But they keyhole at that vel. Does fine with the 158's.

IMG_0731.JPG.870ad039ea279733947dff0d4999ad01.JPG

Thanks  Steve. Sounds like Rossi knew what the marked wanted with the adjustments to handle cylindrical cases a little better. That is probably preferred for me, also not knowing the twist but assuming its pretty slow, Ill stick to what I know.  If the prices were closer id probably add it to the collection for the sake of it but there is a bit of a price on it, so I will leave it for another 92 fan to buy.

Btw nate, this is  question I predict you have probably answered 20,000 times to your website customers. In that if someone gets a Rossi 92 that doesnt like 38 specials, including under  1.5" COAL, is there a gunsmithing fix for it, or is it a case you have to load the cases out and no other option. In other words can someone force a rossi 92 to shoot short cartridges :):)

Well if the Browning 92  in 357 is anything like my Browning 53 in 32 WCF you're going to love it. The previous owner of my 53 had a magazine tube extension put on it, springs changed, and the action slicked up. It is one sweet shooting rifle, and the wood is beautiful. I use it and my Taylor Uberti 32-20 pistols more than any of my other cowboy guns.

11 hours ago, stef75 said:

Btw nate, this is  question I predict you have probably answered 20,000 times to your website customers. In that if someone gets a Rossi 92 that doesnt like 38 specials, including under  1.5" COAL, is there a gunsmithing fix for it, or is it a case you have to load the cases out and no other option. In other words can someone force a rossi 92 to shoot short cartridges :):)

Sure you can, you just won't be able to run it very fast. even before there was a CAS game it was tried. There was some Win 92's sent to South America that were then converted to 45acp. These were modified down there for police departments because the primary handgun was 1911 style pistols in 45 acp.  They were heavily modified.

cart guides and carrier

DSCN0581.thumb.JPG.2d59697113c8a0a3e61a01e6f7dc090b.JPG

Mag follower and mag tube.

DSCN0562.thumb.JPG.f9570a041e8026ba665367978ad20f63.JPG

To achieve this

DSCN0563.thumb.JPG.19906530e44c6ac84cd708ffb81bfb45.JPG

The problem is they didn't work all that well. 

BTW, some interesting history. Down there the 45 acp was known as the 45 L. C.  The L.C. was for Latin CartridgeDSCN0558.thumb.JPG.3ad8f077b457d9ae3f730e3f0b17b3e7.JPG 

This gun was out of Argentina.

DSCN0603.thumb.JPG.812185eee5763dc3213a628332c8a7f2.JPG

I had a B92 .357 for a few years, but sold it in '06 to somebody on here and used the money to buy two Rossi '92 .357's. The Browning absolutely would not feed anything shorter than a full-length .357. - .38 cases would work, but I had to use a heavier (longer) bullet and seat it out to the same OAL as a loaded .357 cartridge. The Rossi's function perfectly with 125 grain .38's

Thanks fellas, and for the great story and pics by Steve.  Rossi 92's were converted to 45 acp here as well for a breif period for use by one of the state police forces. I think it was back in the 70's. Not sure what department or  purpose but assume it was pest destruction or humane dispatch in outback stations.

I have never seen any of the 45acp conversions before, will save this thread for future conversations.

Archived