SASS Wire Forum

Reduce your collection or let the heirs handle it?

Go West

I've taken the time to designate who gets what I treasure and what can be sold. Some have dollar value and some just sentimental value. There are even some that have both!:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

My driveway is pretty steep and the palletized safe was 700 pounds.  The guy just had a pallet jack.  I figured he would have something motorized. I guess not.

Horace.

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan-double-door

So what did you do?  Cut it open and carry piece by piece?  

Between the son, son-in-law and grandson my gun safe will be cleaned out before my ashes have cooled.

My intention is to send most of them to good, loving homes.  But that's a ways off still.  The backup plan is to have my brother in law (the closest gun savvy relative) take them and distribute as he sees fit.  We've had a few members of the club pass and their guns and gear got sold through a club member.  I will be leaving a suggestion for him to do that if he wishes.  Gun clubs seem like a good way to find people who will appreciate them.   When I start thinning the herd, I'm going to start with guns I can't shoot anymore.  Don't know what afflictions are in my future, but if for example I get to a point where I can't shoot pistols, I'll go ahead and start the process with them. 

I've probably done a little of what everybody else here has done.  I had a big sell off when I lost my job in 2009, but I have pretty well recouped what I sold and added a lot to the collection.  Now I have 5 safes full of guns, several cabinets and sets of shelves full of ammunition and reloading components, and shelves full of boxes full of spare magazines.  And then there is the library of firearms related books and magazines.  What to do?

First and foremost, you have to sit down and put on paper how you want to dispose of everything.  If you don't, you will die intestate (term for not having a valid will when you die).  If you die intestate, then your state of residence, using the law of intestate succession under your state's statutes, will decide who inherits your estate.  If you have an irresponsible child or grandchild you wouldn't trust with a gun, too bad, the state will say he could inherit one from you (unless he was a prohibited person under law).

Really give some thought to how to match up your guns and such with your family members and friends.  For me, the firearms library is easy to decide what to do with.  A young man who I call my 'Honorary nephew" (I'm a friend of the family and called "Uncle") is a premier firearms law attorney.  After I go, there will be a truck coming to his office with all of my firearms library (except the manuals that match up with particular firearms I have).  I figure he can use my library in his law practice, and I don't know of anyone else who could better use it.  Why give something to someone who is going to send what you leave them to the landfill?  I do have guns that I can associate with certain persons and I have it set out for them to get them.  And for the things you can't match up with a particular person, locate a good auction house who specializes in firearms auctions.  Leave instructions for the remainder of your collection to be sold through this auction house so that you can assure yourself that your things will end up in a good home of someone who was willing to pay for them.

And of course, nobody will know your collection like you do.  So some means of identification and record keeping for your guns is absolutely necessary.  As I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to computerized recordkeeping, I have to do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper.  The constant request for money from various organizations has given me a solution.  I take the return envelopes from the begging letters and put the bill of sale and any other related paperwork for each gun in a separate return envelope and write the brand, model, unique identifying features and sometime the serial number of each gun on the outside of the return envelope that has its paperwork inside.  That makes it easy for the paperwork to follow each gun.  Keep these envelopes in a safe and secure place.  

No question, to do this right will take hours if you have any kind of collection.  But once you sit down and do it, I am sure that you will feel a lot better when you realize that you saved your survivors from having to do this during their time of grieving.

Archived