SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shooting a 1860 army ?

Fence Cutter

I've had several but never used them as main match guns. Highly recommend finding the files from Larsen E. Pettifogger on tuning your Pietta or Uberti cap guns. The biggest problem I had with any of them was cap sucking and occasionally the timing needed adjusted when I'd first get them. YMMV. 

Jack

I shot Frontiersman from time to time with my Uberti 1860s,they needed a bit of tuning but not as much as my Uberti 1872s. I never had a problem with caps as I always cocked my guns in the vertical position, aided by recoil. Not fast tho. I used to shoot with a guy that used 1860s as his everyday main match pistols and he was fast

I  shoot my 60 armies after tuning them, getting the arbor right and stoning the rough edges getting tresso or slix shot nipples allows you to use a lighter main spring! I used them with conversion cylinders until I got my Richard masons,  I set them up the same as my 60 Richard mason so that they feel the same. You can set them up using Larson's instructions. Yes both are 45 colt but I use 45 schofield brass to allow lighter black powder loads so I don't beat up the guns.

Rafe

P.s. my pietties needed less arbor work than my uberti Richard masons, uberti makes the arbor a slight shorter that pietti does. 

Highly recommend finding the files from Larsen E. Pettifogger on tuning your Pietta or Uberti cap guns. 

Larsen’s files are in the SASS FAQ files

Why ..... YES!!  I happen to shoot 3 pair of Pietta 1860s with Suppository conversions to 45 Colt.  One set is done with  gated Kirst Konverters and two sets are done with R&D converters.

The "High" is having Main Match guns that will shoot as Cap Guns or Suppository Shooters just by a quick change over.  The low is taking apart the guns with R&D cylinders for re-load.  Not really a problem though.  It's quick when the gun is set up "right"

Pietta take nowhere near the amount of work to set up for CAS Main Match use.  They do however, still require some ministrations.  Suggestion:  Find Larsen E.Pettifoggers Trieste on tuning Uberti and Pietta Cap Guns.   

One of the more persistent problems with any cylinder changes, whether for cartridge cylinders or even just spare c&b cylinders is the fact that there requires a lot of understanding of the timing issues required.  Having one revolver accept two cylinders is doable BUT wanting a whole stable of cylinders to work with a single frame can be damn nigh a nightmare!!!  Some will make it sound simple but I have never found that revolver timing to be such????  It seems that there are several small parts that must be brought into a very harmonious balance with each other, kinda like trying to balance a relationship with several nice ladies at the same time:wacko:  A few years back I asked a PROFESSIONABLE  gunsmith to set up two Pietta 1860 frames to be capable of swapping about 14 cylinders, that was 12 c&b plus two cartridge versions.  He pretty much told me it was an impossible assignment at any price!      

Archived