SASS Wire Forum

Henry side gate

Trigger Mike

The other ones are SASS legal. So that one would be. You just have to be careful when loading at the bench with the original. 

If they ever offer it in a pistol cartridge. So far, just .30-30, .35 Rem, .38-55 and .45-70 that I know of.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The other ones are SASS legal. So that one would be. You just have to be careful when loading at the bench with the original. 

Not so sure about that, the new pistol caliber ones have synthetic stocks and threaded barrels; at least the ones I've seen.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not so sure about that, the new pistol caliber ones have synthetic stocks and threaded barrels; at least the ones I've seen.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/

Lots of wood and golden color

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not pistol calibers though:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

Well, heck, I hadn't noticed the pistol calibers! I didn't realize there was such a thing from them. It does make you scratch your head and wonder what they're thinking, though, doesn't it? 

Just now, DocWard said:

Well, heck, I hadn't noticed the pistol calibers! I didn't realize there was such a thing from them. It does make you scratch your head and wonder what they're thinking, though, doesn't it? 

I'm not sure they are thinking. 

For some reason they think the Big Boy is good for CAS and it simply is not.

Don't get me wrong they make really good guns. 

If they'd put their heads together with some of the good SASS gunsmith's they could make something good and sell the crap out of them.

The X models only come with a synthetic stock and only hold 7 rounds. The external mount for the suppressor would also be a problem as well as the fiber optic sights. 

I think there might be a better choice if you want to shoot cowboy.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Henry made pistol caliber rifles that were/ are SASS legal. I have seen them at matches and in stores. 

True, but not with a loading gate on the side.

56 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

henry now makes a lever action that loads from the side like winchester.   Will those be SASS legal?  Just curious,  don't have one and have not shot in a while. 

These would be legal in the Long Range lever action side matches. Just like many modern lever action rifles, you would have to black out or reverse the diamond insert on the rear sight.

2 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

+1 on the 1860 but prices are 50-100% above the Uberti that has aftermarket parts and upgrades.

Topic is in regard to HRA manufactured rifles suitable for use in SASS sanctioned matches.  Not the price differential between HRA and Uberti.

Chas

1 hour ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

Topic is in regard to HRA manufactured rifles suitable for use in SASS sanctioned matches.  Not the price differential between HRA and Uberti.

Chas

Price is a factor, as well as the availability of aftermarket parts that make our guns go safely, reliably and competitively.  With a $3000 starting point for a pistols, a decent rifle, an average shotgun, leather, clothes, cart and ammo, guns that are priced even higher are not suited to the game unless they bring an advantage.

My two-cents but it is obvious that Henry does not know our sport.

11 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Price is a factor, as well as the availability of aftermarket parts that make our guns go safely, reliably and competitively.  With a $3000 starting point for a pistols, a decent rifle, an average shotgun, leather, clothes, cart and ammo, guns that are priced even higher are not suited to the game unless they bring an advantage.

My two-cents but it is obvious that Henry does not know our sport.

+100000     Ridiculous price for that 1860 when you can buy an Uberti for half of that! :blink:

On 7/18/2020 at 8:32 PM, DocWard said:

It supports the markets that outlawed semiautos or removable magazines.  Much quicker than a bolt action.  Works well for hunting and home defense.  It is great to see a company innovate while continue to support its traditional customer.

7 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

It supports the markets that outlawed semiautos or removable magazines.  Much quicker than a bolt action.  Works well for hunting and home defense.  It is great to see a company innovate while continue to support its traditional customer.

I hadn't thought about it from that aspect, all of which makes sense. Still, you would think that they would be listening to the SASS crowd that they seem to want to be a part of so badly. If they could make those, surely it would've been possible to add loading gates to their standard wooden pistol caliber firearms first, or at least contemporaneously?

39 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

while continue to support its traditional customer.

It is nice to get some support from a major gun manufacturer, BUT it would be a lot better if they'd make a usable CAS rifle.  They bullied their way into SASS with a very inferior product. Just imagine if they'd make a real Marlin 94 clone or even better a 73' clone with a short stroke from the factory. At the very least they should modify the Big Boy so that it could use all the Marlin parts and be slicked up and short stroked.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I hadn't thought about it from that aspect, all of which makes sense. Still, you would think that they would be listening to the SASS crowd that they seem to want to be a part of so badly. If they could make those, surely it would've been possible to add loading gates to their standard wooden pistol caliber firearms first, or at least contemporaneously?

Maybe they put full R&D into the X while tacticool is hot, competing with the Mossberg.  Then they’ll work on developing the SASS model since CAS is a stable market.    

If Henry exports to the UK, the X should sell well there.  Talked to an english shooter who said most people have suppressors there.  Lever actions are popular because they can’t have the semiautomatic.  

33 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It is nice to get some support from a major gun manufacturer, BUT it would be a lot better if they'd make a usable CAS rifle.  They bullied their way into SASS with a very inferior product. Just imagine if they'd make a real Marlin 94 clone or even better a 73' clone with a short stroke from the factory. At the very least they should modify the Big Boy so that it could use all the Marlin parts and be slicked up and short stroked.

What do you mean by bullied their way in?  I’m relatively new to SASS.  

Lets start an email campaign.  Henry does read customer emails.  

9 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

What do you mean by bullied their way in?  I’m relatively new to SASS.  

Lets start an email campaign.  Henry does read customer emails.  

They claimed the Big Boy was SASS Legal, BEFORE it was SASS legal. I don't remember all the gory details or all the rumors, but their entry was questionable. 

All that is forgivable though.

Yes, we should start an email campaign.  Who knows they might listen.

I bought one in 410 shotgun .

Really fancy wood on it too.

Sweet little shotgun .

20191123_164225.jpg

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Email is sent.  Will post when they respond.

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I did the same.

Did you use the "Suggestion Box" on their website? 

I wonder if they sell their lever-action shotguns in Australia.

LA shotguns have been huge in Oz since the authorities outlawed pumps and semi-auto smoothbores, but forgot to mention lever actions....

Seem to be a lot more models of LA shotguns now than in former times.

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Thanks for that link! Done!

Archived