SASS Wire Forum

Your "Song?"

DocWard

I believe the subject has come up in other threads from time to time, but out of curiosity, what is the song that has special meaning between you and your significant other? The one that played on a first date, the one you danced your first dance to, the one that you danced your first dance to at your wedding... You get the idea...

I ask because "our song" popped up as I was driving in, and I was humming it to myself as I walked in the house and Mrs. Doc gave a smile that warmed my heart. There are many versions, by many amazing artists, but this is the one that we listened to most, and danced to for our first dance as man and wife. "Although I may not be the man some girls think of as handsome..."

You had to mention Van Morrison, didn't you @Utah Bob #35998? I'll just add that 'Tupelo Honey' and 'Moondance' are two of our favorites as well. I was singing Moondance to myself as I was getting ready for our first date in college. She put it on in her dorm room and it just blew me away. She put Tupelo Honey on a mix tape (remember those?) for me while I was in AIT, and I am pretty sure I wore that tape out. So, I suppose it is possible to have more than one song, right?

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

You had to mention Van Morrison, didn't you @Utah Bob #35998? I'll just add that 'Tupelo Honey' and 'Moondance' are two of our favorites as well. I was singing Moondance to myself as I was getting ready for our first date in college. She put it on in her dorm room and it just blew me away. She put Tupelo Honey on a mix tape (remember those?) for me while I was in AIT, and I am pretty sure I wore that tape out. So, I suppose it is possible to have more than one song, right?

Yeah it’s very possible. ;)

All great tunes y'all!! But, I'm not quite as umm....  ADVANCED as most of y'all. Our first date was at a Clint Black concert in '92 and the song he was playing when we had our first kiss escapes me at the moment. But the song that we call "Our song" is "Every rose has it's thorns" by Poison. Mainly because she was a 80's & 90's big hair band girl and a fan of Poison and I like the part that says, "every cowboy sings a sad, sad song." 

CS

14 minutes ago, Carolina Sorillo said:

All great tunes y'all!! But, I'm not quite as umm....  ADVANCED as most of y'all. Our first date was at a Clint Black concert in '92 and the song he was playing when we had our first kiss escapes me at the moment. But the song that we call "Our song" is "Every rose has it's thorns" by Poison. Mainly because she was a 80's & 90's big hair band girl and a fan of Poison and I like the part that says, "every cowboy sings a sad, sad song." 

CS

I'm not that old... Mrs. Doc and I married in '90, and we both went to high school and college in the '80's. Some music is just timeless.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Anybody laughs and I terrorize you for a month...

The two I picked out for our wedding.

Islands in the stream

Natural high

I'm not one to judge. If they have meaning to you and your bride, that is what matters. Now, the acquaintances of ours that chose "The One I Love" by REM... :blink:

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm not that old... Mrs. Doc and I married in '90, and we both went to high school and college in the '80's. Some music is just timeless.

I didn't call anybody OLD!! But, you're still a little more "advanced" than me!:D But I'm a little more "advanced" than my wife too.

A few years ago I was putting parts of songs on my phone to use as ring tones and I told her I was going to use G-n-R's "Used to love her" for hers.:lol: That went over like a turd in a punch bowl!!:D

CS

Not too sure.  It might be Cake's 'perhaps, perhaps, perhaps'.  But that's because she is a big cake fan, and this song was the theme for a british TV show I really liked.  So when she played it I started singing along.  I'd never even heard of cake before that day. 

At our wedding, she marched down the aisle to Vader's theme, so that's sort of our song too. 

At the reception, we rickrolled everyone during the first dance.  Told the DJ to start off with 'friends in low places' then switch to 'never gunna give you up' right before "you'll never hear me complain" because I knew by then my family would be caterwauling along with it.  I always liked Rick Astley and 'never gunna give you up' so I told him to just stick with it after the switch. 

Too many songs with too many memories. Impossible to pick one!

I had a component stereo system with a turntable when my future missus and I started dating.  I would put on a 33 1/3 LP of something.  The stylus would spend a lot of time in the groove nearest the center after the music stopped while we were occupied.  We used to call that holding groove "our song"!

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Too many songs with too many memories. Impossible to pick one!

Yeah, if you notice, I had to add a couple to the list. When it comes to Mrs. Doc, though, there aren't that many that really tug at the heart strings.

Both of these have meaning to us.  We have nicknamed our house "Somewhere", and "Feels so right" is the song we "kitchen dance" to after supper a couple of times a week.

10 hours ago, Carolina Sorillo said:

CS

We aren't that advanced either.  None of the "contemporary" songs spoke to us like that one did.  Besides, Uno doesn't like to dance so he wanted something that would be over FAST!!!

Archived