SASS Wire Forum

A Fertile Mind @ Work

After watching  Sedalia Dave's posting of the Video on the tall ship, Star Of India,  I got to thinking.

Thinking is always dangerous for me.  

So I am picturing in my mind a sea battle between two tall ships,  with each broadside to each other, 

under sail, firing away and suddenly the wind stops. Dead Calm.  That could produce a pucker factor moment

I'm thinking. 

“Aye mate, could ya give us a push? Yeah, ‘at’s it. Just take that pole there and give us a shove and we’ll be in our way...”

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

"Awwwrite ya swabs ....... get out and push !'

Sailing lore says that firing cannon in light airs kills the wind and don't forget that if the ship ain't moving enough, there's no bite to the rudder.  So, not only aren't you moving but you can't even control how you are pointed.

In that case, think more along the lines of, "Pull, Lemuel.  Pull."

Depending on when it happens and what kind of ship's involved, it could be equipped with 'sweeps' (big oars).  They were common on light "unrated" ships all the way up to the 18th Century.

For larger vessels, it would have involved putting boats over the side, towing the ship into or out of range, or bringing the ship around to unmask its' batteries.

There are also the chase guns.  They were mounted pointed forward or aft.  In both cases, there were usually only a couple of guns- but you could always move guns from the main batteries so they could fire from different positions.  It's not like Age of Sail ship crews lacked the knowledge, equipment or manpower to move large cannon around on the deck without machinery.

23 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

The Constitution escaped a British squadron b y "kedging", putting out small boats towing her anchors out  some distance from the ship and then winching her up to them:blush::FlagAm:

That might be a tad exciting during a raging duel, especially if you are the rower in a small boat and they are throwing cannon balls atcha. :o

3 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

The Constitution escaped a British squadron b y "kedging", putting out small boats towing her anchors out  some distance from the ship and then winching her up to them:blush::FlagAm:

Imagine handling something as big as a ship's anchor in a smallish boat.  Kedging has to be brutal work for the whole crew.  Boat crews (they usually sent out multiple boats with multiple anchors) were rowing back and forth and manhandling the anchor and the crew still on board were manning the capstan and winching the ship forward step by step.

It's still gotta be better than just trying to tow a ship with the boats.  Some of the boats are pretty good sized but it still comes down to rowing- no matter how many folks are manning the oars.

Archived