SASS Wire Forum

Tree question.

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Local gummint is cutting down old elm trees.

Any ideas on what to replace them with???

Dont even think maple. I hate the whirly seeds. They clog up everything.

And we have too many now.

Seeds that is.

Best

CR

Are we talking about the Government cutting down the trees? 

On whose land?

Probably because of Dutch Elm Disease, either actual or suspected. 

Just about all trees will have  droppings of some sort or other. 

Depending on location, I would try walnut or pecan. You could just go nuts and have something 

of value. Or fruit trees, but they require a bit of maintenance. 

For shade, a big ole OAK is first class but you might have to wait a while for that shade.

Concrete parking lot?

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Probably because of Dutch Elm Disease, either actual or suspected. 

Just about all trees will have  droppings of some sort or other. 

Depending on location, I would try walnut or pecan. You could just go nuts and have something 

of value. Or fruit trees, but they require a bit of maintenance. 

For shade, a big ole OAK is first class but you might have to wait a while for that shade.

Yes, I agree PLANT  OAK TREES.  It is true that they take some time to grow, and I think it’s worth it.

Cat Brules

If the OP doesn't like maple seeds he really isn't going to like oak catkins or acorns. Sycamore trees are very messy with seeds and broken branches. Usually fast growing trees also die rapidly. There was a reason our forefathers chose elms. The branches made tall cathedral-like arches over the streets and had small seeds. Basswood is also popular. 

If ya want somethin' fast, plant Paulownia trees.  Danged things can grow up to 20 FEET in the first year!  :blink:

Blossoms are wonderfully fragrant, too...  :blush:

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

If ya want somethin' fast, plant Paulownia trees.  Danged things can grow up to 20 FEET in the first year!  :blink:

Blossoms are wonderfully fragrant, too...  :blush:

Has a few problems very similat to the Bradford Pear.

Undesirable Attributes

Paulownia tree wood is somewhat brittle. The branches are susceptible to wind damage and can easily crack or break off completely at the crotch. They often droop as well, requiring removal to allow for foot or vehicle traffic. Spent seed capsules and small twigs litter the ground beneath the trees. The tree bark is thin. It can be scratched or scraped off easily by a lawn mower or weed wacker. Tree roots grow close to the soil surface, causing damage to concrete and making lawn mowing difficult. The leaves of Paulownia trees do not change color in the fall before dropping. Flower buds are formed on this tree in the fall. They can be damaged by freezing weather even in zones 6 and above, causing them to drop to the ground without blooming.

Invasiveness

The Pulownia tomentosa tree is known to become invasive. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service lists the Paulownia tomentosa tree as a noxious weed. It is banned in Connecticut due to its potentially invasive nature. It is also listed as an exotic invasive pest plant in Tennessee. The tree spreads aggressively through abundant self-seeding.

Howdy,

My first idea is to NOT plant only one type tree.

Planting elms up and down the streets looks nice but not so smart.

Pecan sure sounds interesting.

Best

CR

The fastest growing tree is a healthy tree! 

Healthy oaks will grow faster than unhealthy maples 

In my experience, the fastest growing trees are also weak wooded and often have more problems long term than a medium growing tree thats taken care of properly. 

You can get seedless Honeylocust that are pretty hardy, but they do get twiggy. 

You can get London Plane trees (cultivar/variety of Sycamore), they will get big are medium/fast growers, and they are pretty resistant against Sycamore Anthracnose.

AS far as oaks, you can go with one of the non-native oaks that grow faster. I personally like Sawtooth Oak. Shingle oak is also a good option, it doesn't have as many issues with soil pH that red and pin oak have, and won't get as big. Usually grows a little quicker than most red oak family as well. 

Swamp White oak is a good option, as its a faster grower than most white oaks, and you can also get a couple different cultivars as well. 

If you are worried about a mess....don't get any walnut tree lol. 

Yellow Tulip Poplar is probably the fastest growing tree I know of that usually doesn't give issues down the road. They have great fall color, but theres a bit of a mess with the flowers in the spring, HOWEVER its not a mess like acorns or whirley birds. The flowers shrivel up and you won't notice them long. 

I would do a mixture of those listed above. 

Well Ron, if you want to really blow out the neighborhood, you could plant Lombardy Poplar trees. Not much of

an ornemetal tree but impressive and makes a great wind break.  Sweet Gum tree also comes to mind, but they seem to like warmer climes. My Grandfather prefered them to others, but he farmed in Southern Illinois. I do not know how they would fare in your area. 

They seem to like the South to South Eastast part of the Country. You can smell the sweet fragrance a block away though.

If you like to dodge flying objects, then the Witch Hazle is for you. When the seeds mature the eject them up to thirty feet. 

Other common urban trees that all have pros/cons:

Moraine locust has small leaves and fruit than other locusts.

Chinkapin oak: hardy, nice shape

Ash, preferably green

English beech

Archived