SASS Wire Forum

Star of India

Sedalia Dave

I'd known for some time there was an awful lot to sailing a genuine canvas-and-mast ship.

I knew it here (knocks on forehead) but until I SEE it -- like we did here -- I could never really SEE how much just plain God's honest hard work there is to sailing a ship like this!

On 7/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I've been aboard the Star of India, a lumber hauler, many times, but had no idea she still sailed.  I wish I had known and I would have taken a ride.

They would have put you to work to set sail....How are you at climbing????

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

They would have put you to work to set sail....How are you at climbing????

Texas Lizard

Nor worth a damn anymore.  I'd have been a paying passenger.

Knew  a man once who was an ABS aboard Old Ironsides.  Had the papers and pictures to prove it.

My Master Mariners license has a sail endorsement. Helping a local charity with their tall ship and taking my Sea Scouts on Long Tall ship cruises sure made me aware of the brawn and muscle required of the sailors to rig them, maintain their sails, keep them in proper trim for the wind, anchor them and everything else. :lol:

Tall ships are beautiful, quiet, smooth sailors that are a joy to sail and even to watch from shore. I even sailed one through the edge of a hurricane. She remained under control with a greatly reduced spread of canvas. It was exciting and my worry was for my Sea Scout crew and my two sons.  I had the privilege of sailing both oceans, the gulf and the Great Lakes. They are some of my favourite non shooting experiences.  :)

My major role with them was as a fundraiser. They are voracious devourers of sash to keep them squared away.  :wub:

I was privileged to sail them because holders of large ton Master with sail endorsements are quite rare.  500 or 1,000 tons are the minimum. Once in a while, they could not go to sea unless they had such a master in command and I jumped at the opportunity!!!   :P

Archived