SASS Wire Forum

Hey Pat, How Did You Like Your Lansky System?

Cypress Sun

Just wondering what your opinion of the system is.

Ordered mine at the same time as you did. I bought the one with the stand and mounted it on a short 2 x 4. In my opinion, not much of a learning curve, easy to use and sharpens knives much better than I could with stones. The only thing I noticed was that the stones got dirty fast with dull knives. After they were sharpened, you could get about 10 kitchen type knives done before having to de-clog the stones.

I always thought that my knives were pretty sharp before getting the system. They weren't, they were dull as dull can be..........not now.

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Truth be known....

PR is not allowed to have sharp pointy things :lol:

OLG 

He's lying on the floor bleeding right now, so he can't answer your post.

18 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Truth be known....

PR is not allowed to have sharp pointy things :lol:

OLG 

9 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

He's lying on the floor bleeding right now, so he can't answer your post.

I bet that one is going to leave a mark :lol:

I love those things. I wore out the stones on my first one, on my second. I don't really have "the touch" to sharpen a knife on a regular stone. I can put an edge on one with a Lansky that will shave. You just gotta be careful.

JHC

I might need to invest in one of those.  My kitchen knives are in desperate need of sharpening and so are some of my sewing shears.

Just now, Calamity Kris said:

I might need to invest in one of those.  My kitchen knives are in desperate need of sharpening and so are some of my sewing shears.

Look hard at the Spyderco sharpener.  ;)

OLG 

I hope he’s not using the Mayer Lansky system. :blink:

Cypress Sun, I really like my Lansky system. Thank you for asking. I have used it on pretty much all of my knives except for the really narrow blade knives, which I only have a few. But I use the stones on them just like a whet stone. Once I figured out the “rhythm” of sharpening with the system I actually enjoy using it. 

Now I need the bigger box and some other stones. Especially for serrated blades. I want the leather strop doodad or three too. :D

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cypress Sun, I really like my Lansky system. Thank you for asking. I have used it on pretty much all of my knives except for the really narrow blade knives, which I only have a few. But I use the stones on them just like a whet stone. Once I figured out the “rhythm” of sharpening with the system I actually enjoy using it. 

Now I need the bigger box and some other stones. Especially for serrated blades. I want the leather strop doodad or three too. :D

Which one did you get?

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Which one did you get?

I bought the 5 stone set then added the table top mount, the c-clamp mount and the super fine stone and some more rods. The 5 stone set is great the way it is. I plan to go on the Lansky site and get another bigger box. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I bought the 5 stone set then added the table top mount, the c-clamp mount and the super fine stone and some more rods. The 5 stone set is great the way it is. I plan to go on the Lansky site and get another bigger box. 

Do you have a PN.

Confirm this is the Lansky site.

OLG 

20 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

You might want to check out one of these. Kinda pricey and have to replace the little belts, but they work great and don't take forever. I have one, works wonders on scissors too. Never tried mine on a serrated knife, I don't like them except maybe for steak knives. When we have a Kairos Prison Ministry weekend I bring my own knives and this gizmo too to sharpen their knives which are usually dull as butterknives. The kitchen staff always likes me!

JHC

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-W-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B07CVN8HV5

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Told yuh that you'd need the extra boxes.:D

Addictive,  aren't they?

7 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Told yuh that you'd need the extra boxes.:D

Addictive,  aren't they?

Yepper! I like’em. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you have a PN.

Confirm this is the Lansky site.

OLG 

I thought I posted this. 

Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Fj0eFbYXXFX3M

I got mine in Amazon. 

Here Is the Lansky site

https://lansky.com/

44 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

You might want to check out one of these. Kinda pricey and have to replace the little belts, but they work great and don't take forever. I have one, works wonders on scissors too. Never tried mine on a serrated knife, I don't like them except maybe for steak knives. When we have a Kairos Prison Ministry weekend I bring my own knives and this gizmo too to sharpen their knives which are usually dull as butterknives. The kitchen staff always likes me!

JHC

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-W-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B07CVN8HV5

No offense but Work Sharps suck if you don’t use old junk knives to practice on and any small knives can easily get the tips buzzed off with the slip of a hand. 

They are okay for sharpening tools and garbage knives but I will never use one on quality knives again. 

Captain Callahan said it well!
My father can spit on a whet stone and have a shaving edge in two minutes or less.
I can't achieve an edge with a flat stone to save my sorry backside.

A fellow firefighter put me wise to the Lansky system.

It works and works very well!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No offense but Work Sharps suck if you don’t use old junk knives to practice on and any small knives can easily get the tips buzzed off with the slip of a hand. 

They are okay for sharpening tools and garbage knives but I will never use one on quality knives again. 

I don't use it on my best knives, but love it for kitchen knives and scissors.

JHC

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Captain Callahan said it well!
My father can spit on a whet stone and have a shaving edge in two minutes or less.
I can't achieve an edge with a flat stone to save my sorry backside.

A fellow firefighter put me wise to the Lansky system.

It works and works very well!

I had a now departed friend that was that way. If he sharpened your knife you didn't even dare try the edge unless you wanted to slice your thumbprint off!

JHC

Archived