SASS Wire Forum

Specialty guns

We all have our favorite main match guns.  For most of us, they are probably the guns we use 90+% of the time we shoot a match.  That other up to ten percent is for when on a whim we take out some different guns that we own but for whatever reason don't use all that often so we take them out for the fun of it.

But what about "specialty" guns for different scenarios?   I don't mean using a pocket pistol for a pocket pistol side match.   But more along the lines of for a long range pistol sidematch, instead of my normal main match pistol, I use my Buntline Special.  If there was a pistol stage in a regular main match that called for a full pistol reload, I'd likely use a Schofield or other top break for that one stage.    I've have seen pards who normally use a 97 switch to a SxS if there is a popper target.   I once attended a shoot where one of the shotgun targets was thrown from a portable trap machine, and they had available a long barreled full choke 97 that everyone could use of they wanted to if they felt their normal SG could not reach out and hit the target.

So what other possible scenarios might come up that would perhaps lead you to use a different gun than you would use under normal circumstances?  Or would you just use your normal guns because you like them for a reason?

I mostly shoot 1872 open tops .The sights on them are virtually invisible however. When I shoot matches where the target distances are more like the “old days “ I shoot my USFA Rodeos, they have sights I can actually see lol.

As you know i shoot a pair of 58 remingtons in 45colt with kirst conversions, a stainless rossi 92 saddle ring carbine in 45 and a single trigger stevens 315 SXS for main match guns but...

i have a pair of 12" 58s with taylors drop in cylinders in 45 and a 47 walker with a taylors cylinder in 45 for jose wales matches

i have a pair of 8" uberti 58's i use for blackpowder matches along with my blued rossi 92 SRC

i have a 2.5" barrel for my walker and a snub nosed 2.5" 58 remington with a taylors 45lc cylinder for the WV showdown night matches i shoot with black powder

I have two pairs of Winchester (Uberti) 1873's, one in .45C and one in 38-40.  One of each is a 24" rifle, and the other is a 19" carbine. 

I always take one set to whatever match I shoot, .45C for smokeless and 38-40 for black powder. I prefer to shoot the rifle because I shoot it better, but if a stage has jail bars, doors or something, I use the carbine.

I also carry a '97 and hammer double.  Kinda like golf, use the right club for the hole.

Normally I shoot (real) black powder 44WCF  7 1/2” uberti colts (I shoot Classic Cowboy) I picked up a 7 1/2” Schofield in 44WCF for the rare times we have a pistol reload. Also because the Schofield is such a nice pistol!

Archived