SASS Wire Forum

Can I tell you about our Ol" Coots Shoot?

J-BAR #18287

For years, the Southern Missouri Rangers have scheduled an "Ol' Coot's Shoot" on the second or third Wednesday of the month.  "Ol' Coots" because most of the young'uns are working during the week, but if they want to play hooky with the retired old farts they are welcome!  Usually 6 to 10 shooters attend.  The scenarios are created on the spot; shooters take turns creating the order of fire.  We use timers, record the scores.  You can find the results on the SMR website.

The weather forecast for yesterday, July 15, was a bit intimidating.  Chance of showers early, with temperatures going into the  mid-90s and heat indexes over 100 later in the day.  But four brave cowboys decided it was worth the risk and showed up for the shoot.  Boothill Slim, Coyote Kid, Hot Dawg Hondo and I got to the range about 9:00 AM.

This may have been the best shoot I have attended in several years!  The sky was overcast, temperature about 75, enough breeze to feel comfortable.  We got the shooting done before the oppressive heat and humidity developed.  Four shooters, five stages, and we were done by 10:30 AM!  A timer operator, a brass picker, a shooter, one spotter.  We timed each other but no scores were recorded.  And each of us shot the stages the way we wanted to.  The order of target engagement, the order of firearm usage was completely shooter's choice. We could practice what we wanted to practice, regardless of what the others wanted to do.  Complete freedom!

As we went to our cars after the match, we looked at each other and said, "Dang, that was FUN!"  We were competing with ourselves, not trying to beat each other.  We were able to shoot quickly, not having to wait for a lot of other shooters.  I wish everyone could have the fast fun we had yesterday.   It was exhilarating!

So is OLG not old enough yet:D? Sounds like fun, by the way.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

So is OLG not old enough yet:D? Sounds like fun, by the way.

I think he's shy.

B)

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Well, I tell folks that my age is the same as my IQ. :lol:

I turned 69 this year. :D

OLG(the shy one)

Well then, you're the lucky one. You keep getting smarter the older you get. I'm afraid it's the opposite for me.  :D

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

How do you decide if second or third Wednesday? 

I don’t.  The club officers set the schedule at the beginning of the new year and publish the event calendar on its website:

https://www.so-mo-rangers.com/event-calendar/

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

How do you decide if second or third Wednesday? 

10 days before the Monthly Saturday shoot. Monthly Saturday is the 4th weekend of the month.

The Oak Ridge Outlaws shoot the second Saturday each month. We set up the stages the Sunday prior and shoot a practice match Tuesday prior to the Saturday match. ORSA members can practice individually all week. 

On 7/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

For years, the Southern Missouri Rangers have scheduled an "Ol' Coot's Shoot" on the second or third Wednesday of the month.  "Ol' Coots" because most of the young'uns are working during the week, but if they want to play hooky with the retired old farts they are welcome!  Usually 6 to 10 shooters attend.  The scenarios are created on the spot; shooters take turns creating the order of fire.  We use timers, record the scores.  You can find the results on the SMR website.

The weather forecast for yesterday, July 15, was a bit intimidating.  Chance of showers early, with temperatures going into the  mid-90s and heat indexes over 100 later in the day.  But four brave cowboys decided it was worth the risk and showed up for the shoot.  Boothill Slim, Coyote Kid, Hot Dawg Hondo and I got to the range about 9:00 AM.

This may have been the best shoot I have attended in several years!  The sky was overcast, temperature about 75, enough breeze to feel comfortable.  We got the shooting done before the oppressive heat and humidity developed.  Four shooters, five stages, and we were done by 10:30 AM!  A timer operator, a brass picker, a shooter, one spotter.  We timed each other but no scores were recorded.  And each of us shot the stages the way we wanted to.  The order of target engagement, the order of firearm usage was completely shooter's choice. We could practice what we wanted to practice, regardless of what the others wanted to do.  Complete freedom!

As we went to our cars after the match, we looked at each other and said, "Dang, that was FUN!"  We were competing with ourselves, not trying to beat each other.  We were able to shoot quickly, not having to wait for a lot of other shooters.  I wish everyone could have the fast fun we had yesterday.   It was exhilarating!

Now you've got me wishing I could have played hooky since I still have a few more years before I can be a permanent Ol' Coot.

2 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

Now you've got me wishing I could have played hooky since I still have a few more years before I can be a permanent Ol' Coot.

Hey Shark - If you happen to be up this way for a visit, the Illowa Irregulars have scheduled open CAS practices at the Milan Rifle Club on Wednesdays at 1:00 PM and Fridays at 10:00 AM.  Not officially an Ol' Coots Shoot, but most of us are, in fact, just that - however, we do have a few of you younger folk show up from time to time, and all are welcome!  Same general numbers and procedures as J-Bar described.  We do 5 full stages on Wednesday, but then 4 on Friday so we can adjourn in time to get together for lunch...now that Illinois has partially reopened anyway.  We'd be glad to have you join us - goes for anyone else from the Wire who happens to be in the area too!

CS

Hi Count Sandor - I appreciate the information and will keep it in mind the next time I head up to the QC to visit my sister.  It's been several years since I've shot at Milan.  Hope you're well and look forward to shooting with you again soon.

Archived