SASS Wire Forum

WTB 45-70 brass

Dusty Boots

I just got a 45-70 and started loading for it too. Factory ammo is hard to find and mostly hunting type. I ordered Starline from Midway, Bear Creek 405s, and AA5744 Powder.  Just shot my first 20 over the Chono. 10 Trapdoor & 10 Marlin. Performed very close to the Lyman Book. 1290 fps - 1621 fps. Now I need to pick one velocity range and load a few more for long range accuracy. 

1 minute ago, Seymour Action said:

I just got a 45-70 and started loading for it too. Factory ammo is hard to find and mostly hunting type. I ordered Starline from Midway, Bear Creek 405s, and AA5744 Powder.  Just shot my first 20 over the Chono. 10 Trapdoor & 10 Marlin. Performed very close to the Lyman Book. 1290 fps - 1621 fps. Now I need to pick one velocity range and load a few more for long range accuracy. 

I have started looking for factory loads costing around a dollar each. This gives me good brass after shooting the factory load. I have a couple hundred rounds now and will begin reloading once I start shooting it again. Starline brass for .43 each is also a good price. You just have to order 250 of them.

TM

This is what I usually get. They have gone up $2 a box but still a good round for the money. 

https://www.defenderammunition.com/collections/rifle-products/products/45-70

Sometimes I have to wait because they are out of it but they usually get it in on a regular basis. It is trapdoor safe as well.

TM

Yes, but I live in Commiefornia. Can't order any online ammo without shipping to a FFL. Drives the price up higher + background check another $5.00.

6 minutes ago, Seymour Action said:

Yes, but I live in Commiefornia. Can't order any online ammo without shipping to a FFL. Drives the price up higher + background check another $5.00.

Sorry to hear that. What about just ordering the brass from the link above? Any extra for it?

TM

32 minutes ago, Seymour Action said:

Would offer you to send it to my store if you were up closer to SJ Seymour. But if you do need some sent in I'll be going to the Western Regional in SLO, don't mind carting it to you then.

But yes Dusty i find "used" brass for sale on gunbroker and thats what I've been using. (so far so good) 

2 hours ago, Dusty Boots said:

Want start reloading for 45-70, need brass.

How much do you want? I’ll bet I have more than you need. 

Archived