SASS Wire Forum

Barbecue Guns

Thanks.That reminds me I left a pocket watch at the jewelers in February before we left the state. I need to check on that.

57 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Whenever you start cooking.

Saturday. But it ain’t barbecue. It’ll be steaks on the smoker. ;)

50 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Beautiful!  Where did you get the display cases?

The shelves ( these two are 36" long and I have an 18" and a 48" that I haven't hung yet) were made by a local partially disabled cabinet maker / handy man.  He copied one I bought from a catalog when we moved here  six years ago.  The domes and bases came from Hobby Lobby and I made the hangers from bent coat hangers.  They are simply  pushed into holes drilled in the bases

I'm having a 1/4" thick base made for the domes on the top of each shelf with holes cut for the bases of each dome so they don't slide around and will keep their orientation.

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Saturday. But it ain’t barbecue. It’ll be steaks on the smoker. ;)

Okay, but let me qualify something:  I AIN'T COMING BACK TO CALIFORNIA FOR ANY REASON!  If you'll come here I'll pay for all the food if you'll do  the cooking.  

After that I can show my wonderful new world and we can sit on the back deck and whittle and spit.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, but let me qualify something:  I AIN'T COMING BACK TO CALIFORNIA FOR ANY REASON!  If you'll come here I'll pay for all the food if you'll do  the cooking.  

After that I can show my wonderful new world and we can sit on the back deck and whittle and spit.

I don’t blame you one bit...and that sounds like a deal. :)

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

What pistols are those? '51 Navies maybe? Or 36's?

JHC

Uberti copies of Colt 1860 Army .44 revolvers.  They are so called "civilian" model with three screw frames and are not cut for shoulder stocks.  I bought them several years ago from a man in Oshkosh and I think they were the last guns sold on the SASS wire by a non-member.  I gave $460.00 for the pair.  He bought them new and never fired them, but he did do a nickel plate job on the back straps / trigger guards for free to see if he could.  I had the plateing removed when it began to wear thin.

Rowdy Yates did some of his magic on them, smoothed and polished things out, changed out the nipples and springs and they are the smoothest pistols I own.  I had Rick Bachmann up in Montana make me a pair of tooled holsters and a belt with no cartridge loops in the "wedding band" pattern and dyed them a very rich antique brown russet color.  I added a Will Ghormley rectangular belt buckle with angle cut corners.  They are made of white bronze.

I had EagleGrips make a pair of "one piece" grips from a faux ivory material (Kirinite?) after buying three pair of really crappy grips from people who were highly rated.  I am now trying to find someone who will scrimshaw my personal fire bird symbol (you can see a brass inlay of that bird on the stocks of the rifles, inlaid on the Henry and surface mounted on the '66) on the grips and possibly engrave the back straps with my name, and I'd like to have the back straps / trigger guards plated in bright nickel.

I have more invested in them than any single car I owned until my 1970 Formula 400 Firebird.

5 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I like hole in the wall places but I've never ate at a BBQ place so sketchy that required toting a pistol- much less 2 and a rifle.:P

Might not have REQUIRED toting a pistol, but I bet you were toting one anyway.

Hope you had better luck than my daddy.

Daddy had a 8 day ship's clock he'd picked up on a Med cruise. Long as I could remember it had hung on the wall in the living room. Then when I was in high school the chimes started acting up. He took it to our local watch repairman.

3 months later Mr. Durden died. Daddy got the clock back. In a box in pieces. And nobody knew how to put it back together, except Mr. Durden, who was dead.

Archived