SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

Nominations are now open. 2020 has been anything but normal, and this has thrown off a lot of things, including the nomination process for the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year. But we are back on track now. Perhaps some of you saw the article in the recent Cowboy Chronicle concerning this award, which goes to someone who not only shoots  Classic Cowboy/ Classic Cowgirl but promotes the category and exemplifies spirit and enthusiasm for Cowboy Action Shooting. We may not all be the fastest, but we look good, we shoot the big bullets, we rock the hammered shotgun, and we have a blast.  As our most recent recipient noted about our category: "Even gunfighters need heroes."

The Magnificent Seven select  one man and one lady who are recognized and admired by their peers for the way they exemplify the Classic Cowboy category. They don't have to be the fastest; instead we are looking for those folks who inspire others to think about shooting the Classic category or at least to recognize what a cool category it is to shoot. There are plenty of Classic Cowboys and Cowgirls out there (but we want to see more); we are looking for the ones that stand out to you.

So post your nominations for the Classic Cowboy or Classic Cowgirl that you think deserves being recognized as the  Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year for 2020 and explain why so the Magnificent Seven will have enough information to make a judgment in case we aren't familiar with the shooter. Nominations will remain open until the end of August, but don't wait.

I can think of many that deserve the honor, but one stands out in my mind, Dantankerous.

He is always dressed to the nines like he just walked out of the 1880s, and no matter what happens on the stage, leaves the line grinning. He is quick to help out fellow shooters and always spends time teaching others about our category. Dantankerous exemplifies Classic Cowboy

Always remember.......Classic Cowboy.....Because even Gunfighters need heroes...

I would vote for Dantankorous also. He is a good ambassador for the classics I would say. 

Jax T

Dantankerous is surely a good hombre, but I'd like to make another nomination....

I'd like to nominate Colonel Lou.  I had the pleasure of shooting with Col. Lou when he was in the Denver area attending gunsmithing school.  Always dressed to the hilt in classic attire, always encouraging me to shoot classic, and always working hard and quick with a booyah.  Though technically a visitor to our club, come time for the annual he was there helping set up, tear down, and do whatever was necessary.  No matter that staying late working meant that he'd have to sleep in his truck instead of heading 'home' to his apartment for the night.

Image may contain: James Rod Albano

I would like to nominate Morgan Daniels.  He is always dressed like he walked out of the 1870's, he is quick with a smile and a handshake to make the "new guy" feel welcome.  He is a blessing to any posse, quick to help out any shooter, great guy to have as your TO, and always has a smile, even when his gun just broke or he had a train wreck.  When he is not at a SASS shoot he is helping the veterans on the honor flights, or doing living history as part of a wild west show.

I will nominate Pit Mule. He repeated as our Iowa State Classic Cowboy champion and he has been a Classic Cowboy for many a year. He's quick to help all shooters. I recall a time when a fellow Classic's gun breaks. It's a sweltering hot summer day and we're on the stage furthest from the parking. Pit Mule offers his back up gun that's in his car. He jogs to his car and back. Sportsmanship=Pit Mule. 

Pit Mule is a great person and I would say another person who exemplifies the Classic Cowboy....or Cowboy period.

All of the previously mentioned folks are certainly worthy. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I would throw my vote in for Dantankerous even. BUT!!!!

I want to nominate ASA SMITH . Probably the most deserving ole cowboy I know. He has been doing and promoting Classic Cowboy since it first became a category. He has shot them open tops and that 66 rifle ( not short stroked)!! :) for a long time. He is the range master now at his home range, makes sure new folks got everything they need to have fun. Has great passion for this game and our 2nd admendment rights. He is all that Dragon Hill Dave spoke about. And  I am glad to call him friend. So my vote is for ASA

I'll third High Plain Hud's nomination!

Asa Smith is Classic all the way. A great guy, hard worker, and cowboy through and through. I always very much enjoy posse-ing with Asa. He's got the classic style down and always makes classic look fantastic! Open tops, Henry or '66, he's the man! Wonderful fella to spend time with and is VERY deserving of this honor.

Asa Smith!

I think both Dantankorous and Asa represent the Classics extremely well. Either one could be Classic of the year. Tough decision for the seven I would say. 

Jax T

Man it’s a HARD pick between Asa, Dantankerous or High Plaines HUD and don’t forget Major Art Tillery, fine gentlemen all 4 be! They all look the part at all times and you could not find anyone more capable to show you how to be a classic cowboy than those 4. Major Art Tillery has worked his rear off to promote the Classic Cowboy Showdown and sure does have his heart totally involved in that class of cowboy action shooting. Sorry I can’t pick one and proud to call them all pards!       SCJ

13 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Man it’s a HARD pick between Asa, Dantankerous or High Plaines HUD and don’t forget Major Art Tillery, fine gentlemen all 4 be! They all look the part at all times and you could not find anyone more capable to show you how to be a classic cowboy than those 4. Major Art Tillery has worked his rear off to promote the Classic Cowboy Showdown and sure does have his heart totally involved in that class of cowboy action shooting. Sorry I can’t pick one and proud to call them all pards!       SCJ

Major was awarded this honor in 2018 so he is not eligible.  

6 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Major was awarded this honor in 2018 so he is not eligible.  

Ok, so it was very well awarded!  SCJ

It is time to nominate for the Classic Shootist of year again!?  Wow does time fly!  I have been lucky to shoot with many classics over the past few years, ever since I joined the ranks of Classic Cowboy Category.   Let me tell you I don't know a better bunch of folks!  They Walk the walk and talk the talk and shoot the big boy guns.  I have had so many folks in the classic category jump right in to help me get the idea of The Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Showdown off the ground.  Helping with awards...prizes... ideas.. and plain ole moral support of letting me know they appreciate the job being done with the Showdown.  Trying to decide between the folks is not easy to do at all.  With that being said I have several nominations this year.

Asa Smith -  What a true Classic Cowboy.  He has always been one of my favorite folks to chat with at a match, and always has some good stories.   He is there to help you if you need anything.  Shoots Open Top revolvers which is absolutely the coolest thing ever, you just don't see many that are rock'n those.  He also really has the classic "Look" down!  Just n all around great fell!

High Plains Hud - Well this fella is one of my greatest nemeses.. :lol:  "Hud" has always been the one classic shooter that I have inspired to be like, the man has the "Look" down and is just fast and smooth. But he is a great pard to be on any Posse with, he works hard as T.O., posse Marshal or at any job he does.  I can't even begin to even guess how many Kansas State Classic Championships he has won... but I figure it is a lot!    He is good I tell ya... but yet one of the most humble fellas you'll ever find.   Another fella that is a just a hoot to sit around and chat with at any match.  Now even with all that said, I am still going to try my best to WHOOP HIM.. :ph34r:

Pony Soldier -  "Cousin" Pony, as I often call him,  and I have only gotten to really know each other in the past few years, and he is one of a kind for sure!  And I honestly mean that in that in a good way.  He really loves the classic category, and has more guns and gear to shoot it then anybody I know.  Anytime we get together at a match it is a good battle to see who comes out on top, we just have a lot of fun harassing each other at any shoot.  He shoots all over and does not know a stranger, take it from me... he will talk about cowboy shooting to anybody.  Pony has been one of my greatest assets with putting on the Showdown... he has pitched in for awards more then once, and nobody can "Sell" the Showdown more then this man has.  He has been my secret weapon on getting the word out far and wide! He would drop everything to help me if I asked.

Dantankerous -  The stories I could tell about my "Big Brother"... ;)   Him and I have put many miles in together going to cowboy matches... he is one of greatest traveling pards I have ever had.  I can tell you there is never a dull moment when we get together.  He also always dresses the part and has won many awards for being the prettiest cowboy at the ball... :lol: .  When he walks up to the line you just never know if he is going to shoot a 66, 73, 1860 Henry, open Tops, Bisley, Hammered.. or 87... he likes to keep a match interesting and is dang fine shooter!  Dan is another fella that has been supportive of the CC Showdown, helping with ideas, prizes and such. He too loves the classic category and will help do whatever needs doing at a match,  He has always been  there with advice for pretty much anything as well.. guns... gear... ya name it.  He is a great pard and friend and would be deserving of such an award as this.

20 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I thought he shot gunfighter?

He does.  Is that a dealbreaker?  I know Classics have to shoot one-handed, but seems to me a gun in each hand would qualify.

4 hours ago, MizPete said:

He does.  Is that a dealbreaker?  I know Classics have to shoot one-handed, but seems to me a gun in each hand would qualify.

Yep, this is for Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl. Gunfighter does not qualify.  Kodak is a great cowboy and certainly dresses the part. 

I want to throw my vote in for Dantankerous as well. He is good shooter and dresses the Classic Cowboy part to the “T.” He is also a fine friend and surely one to “ride the river with.” Me, him and Major Art Tillery, traveled together to Winter Range in 2019 and forged a close friendship on the road. We even drove all the way back from AZ to OK with the heater core out on my truck! Nobody whined, we just got through it. 

Lots of great thoughts for Classic Cowboys, but we need to hear about the Classic Cowgirls out there too. Help us identify and recognize those ladies who are shooting with the big guns and hammered shotguns and dressing in style.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

So far all the nominations are deserving of the award. My vote would go to High Plains Hud as CC

An excellent choice. HIgh Plains Hud is as good as they come. Classic Cowboy, Gentleman, and overall great feller. Always a pleasure to talk to, posse with, and be around. He has mentored many a cowboy along the way... always willing to lend assistance, guidance and a kind word. Fun loving while a serious competitor and a darn fine shooter. He can run a posse safely and smoothly and when he's T.O. he makes the shooter feel at ease. High Plains Hud cowboys with a gracious humbleness that just makes him more, well, cowboy,  and certainly the perfect choice for this Classic Cowboy award and honor.

D, H. D.,

I am not a Purist CC shooter but I have seen several who have done all required and more at their respective state and regional level and have inspired other, bot men and women to give it a try.  One cowboy who immediately comes to mind is a cowboy who images as close to Doc baker as I have ever seen, and who has )to my info) never ever shot a match since about 2002 or 2004 as a fully attired CC with at least 20 of the required accoutrements  is "Boothill Bandit" from up in Oregon/

He not only exemplifies the category but has taken on tuning and repairing the special equipment necessary to compete, and assists those giving it a try toward being a good CC.

So, being just an 'OLD'  FC guy I'd like consideration for Boots.

BTW  all the nominees are class folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ol'  #4

On 8/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ol Number4 said:

One cowboy who immediately comes to mind is a cowboy who images as close to Doc baker as I have ever seen  is "Boothill Bandit" from up in Oregon/

He not only exemplifies the category but has taken on tuning and repairing the special equipment necessary to compete, and assists those giving it a try toward being a good CC.

So, being just an 'OLD'  FC guy I'd like consideration for Boots.

BTW  all the nominees are class folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ol'  #4

I'll second this nomination. I've been shooting opposite this character for quite a few years and he's the real deal. We've also discussed his interpretation of CC a number of times and I totally respect his take on the category. I take a more lighthearted approach to CC (all the wardrobe requirements but flashier duds) but he takes it plumb serious. There aren't a huge number of CC's in our part of the world but Boothill Bandit does his best to keep it alive!

Our Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year nominations are still open, but the window is closing at the end of August. Here are the nominees we have so far.

Classic Cowboy:            Classic Cowgirl:

Dantakerous                     Caney Creek Annie

Morgan Daniles

Pit Mule

Asa Smith

High Plains Hud

Pony Soldier

Boothill Bandit

As you can see, while I am sure Caney Creek Annie is a great nominee for  the Classic Cowgirl award, we could use a few more nominations in that category to consider.  Give it some thought and put out some more names or second or third the ones you would like to see get the award.

Archived