SASS Wire Forum

A Bad Spring in East Fork

DocWard

Doc Ward opened the door into the Town Marshall's office to see Utah Bob leaning back against his desk, listening intently to a nervous cowhand with a unruly shock of dark hair and a large adam's apple. The hand looked jumpy as a cat as Doc and Burcher walked in. Utah shifted his gaze, taking in the unknown man with the ramrod straight stance and the confident look of a man used to being in charge. "Bob, let me introduce you to Captain Burcher, late of the Confederate Army..." Glancing at the man to his side, Doc added, "But he seems okay otherwise..." As Burcher let out a surprised "harrumph," Doc went on. "He is also the owner by deed of a large stretch of land that runs from Sedalia Dave's ranch North to as far as Carter Creek and West to the border with Utah." The hand's head jerked up in surprise and he jerked around, "That's a lie! That's Hammond land!"

Burcher looked at the man with an angry frown before speaking in a measured tone, "Young man, I've killed men for saying such things. I recommend you choose your words more carefully, and know your facts when you speak." The man's eyes got large as his face paled, and his adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed hard. "Old Man Hammond claims that land as his own. He wouldn't do that if'n 'twerent his! We been riding all over that property. Aint no house or cabin... Not so much as a tipi on it. He plans to have some cattle delivered and start grazing it shortly! He said he was going to be gettin' a chunk of cash from a tip Mr. Cushman over at the bank gave him."

At this news, Doc's ears perked up. "Did he now? Did he say what this tip was, or where the money might come from?" The man shook his head, "No Sir, his son was the one telling' me about it. He's the reason I'm here. Some crazy fella with a big rifle was down close to the crossroads, said he was gonna kill Junior, then the Old Man! Told me to run if I wanted to live. I saw the crazy in his eyes and lit out."

Doc looked at Burcher, then Bob, and back to the hand, "Did this crazy fella ride a mule? Sleepy looking thing with a middlin' gray coat?" The man's adam's apple was prominent as his head bobbed up and down. Burcher swore, then shook his head, "That damn Yankee's gonna get himself killed or strung up. We'd better get a move on down that way and make sure he stays out of trouble." Doc snorted, "You talking about the same Keller I know? Pretty sure his middle name is 'Trouble.'" Utah Bob grabbed his hat before pointing at the cowboy, "Make yourself scarce. Out of the territory would be a good idea." The man protested, "But I got wages coming' to me!" Doc turned his back on him. "Suit yourself, just hope Keller don't recognize you." With that, he walked out the door.

Heading for Kris's place and his surrey as Burcher and Bob grabbed their horses, Doc heard a voice from down the street, "Hey, Doc! Gimme a hand with these fellers!" Doc looked to see Cactus Jack riding, long gun on two men riding in front of him. Turning, Doc picked up a jog down the street, past Kris's place, he went to find out what Calder was doing with the two men.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bud-mule and me, we rode back to my place.

I felt right like a fool, I did.

I set there waitin' like the Judgement Angel himself and all set I was to rid this world of Hammond, his henchmen and whatever hounds of Hell he brought along for the fracas, and absolutely all I saw a-comin' down-trail torst me was ...

Nothing.

Well, almost nothing, that mountain cat he laid stretched out in a little patch of dry grass and rolled like a house cat, kicking his hind hoppers happily and then rolling over again, looking around, I watched whilst he washed a paw and washed his ears and then he set up all sleepy lookin' and turned and kind of flowed off into the brush and was gone.

Now I say I felt like a right fool for Doc he sent out a boy with a note.

I reckonzed Doc's Hand Writin' and he allowed as I was a damn Fool and I might get my neck stretched for Stunts like I was Settin Up For and it's only a true friend that will raise Hell with a man in Plain and Honest Language and that part of my mind that was still sane, rational and reasonable allowed as Doc was right and might be the Law would view what I planned on as Murder.

I turnt Doc's note over and I wrote a lengthy reply and give it back to the boy and bade him take it back to Doc and he grinned and allowed as he would and it looked kind of comical, that little boy missin' one of his Milk Teeth settin' way up on top of attair long tall horse but he rode well and I wondered how much trouble the hostler went to shortenin' up them stirrups for the lad and off he went a-clatter and I kissed at Bud-mule and laughed a little for that Long Winded Reply I scratched with a Pencil Stub on the back of his Missive, in its entirety and I quote, read ...

"You're right." 

As he opened the door I watched in amusement as his eyes grew wide.

"Easy there pard, just been trying to catch up to you to give you what you deserve." I said slowly as I reached into my breast pocket and produced a letter extending it to Father Kit.

"Seems someone thought enough of you to leave you some property hereabouts and though I'm retired, I wanted to get you the deed while I was in the area."

Father Kit seemed to relax at that point and I, having completed my chore tipped my hat and wished him well.

"You leaving town already? There's trouble here" Father Kit said matter of factly.

I chuckled "There is always trouble, everywhere.  That's the nature of man.  I have my own troubles to tend to from time to time even.  I've got miles to go before I sleep."

I turned and headed off towards my horses and headed back to the hole I'd crawled out of. . .  so to speak.

After tying the men’s hands to the saddle horns, and their feet to the stirrups, Jack rigged a trail rope to their horses. He gagged the leader with his own bandanna, but left the talker ungagged. “Okay feller tell me whar we’s goin and dun’t be gett’n any funny ideers, y’all kin still end up daid,” said Jack.

Following the directions provided by the terrified outlaw, Jack approached a cross roads. Pulling off into a stand of pines, Jack got the two men gagged and securely lashed to trees. Then he tied their horses so that they wouldn’t run off. Looking at the talker Jack asked, “Yuh shur of this spot?” The man nodded his head. Working his way under cover Jack got closer to the crossing and waited. After an hour Jack moved back to the men. Removing the bandanna from the talker he placed his pistol barrel behind the man’s left ear and growled, “Y’all think I’m fool’n? I’m gunna blow yur ear off’n yuh unless yuh cum up weth ah better idear.” “NO, NO DON’T SHOOT! I SWEAR WE WAS TO MEET THE HAMMOND KID HERE! TELL HIM SHORTY, TELL HIM!” the man howled. ‘Shorty’, who was still gagged nodded his head vigorously. Jack removed his gag and pushed the muzzle under his nose, “Weel, SHORTY y’all like breathing? How bout et is thes weasel tell’n it straight?” queried Jack. Shorty stammered, “Ye—Yes, we’s supposed tuh meet Junior Hammond here right after we got the loot.” “Okay boys, I guess we’ll go on into town and see the Marshall about this little shindig,”grinned Jack in a clear voice. “Anyway my voice box was getting raw doing all that growling. You men have been very helpful.”

Riding into town with the two men still trussed up Jack spotted Doc, Captain Burcher and Marshall Utah Bob walking towards Miss Kris’s dress shop. He hollered out, , "Hey, Doc! Gimme a hand with these fellers!" As he approached Doc asked, “What have you got here Jack? These men look like they’ve seen a ghost.” “I found these two jaspers redecorating your house again. I figured you’d like to talk to them about their taste in furniture arrangement. I had a little conversation with them after we became acquainted. They seem to have developed the idea I’m some sort of hillbilly and that I might hurt them. I swear I only wanted to introduce them to you and maybe Marshall Bob,” said Jack with a big grin. “What did they say about why they wanted to rearrange my furniture?” asked Doc. “Something to the effect that Mr. Hammond was concerned about you having too much money in the house. And how Mr. Hammond and Mr. Cushman thought it would be better if they held onto for you. Just to ease your mind on it being a target for unscrupulous people. So, Mr Hammond sent these two gentleman to secure your cash, just for your security mind you. Anyway that’s the way they put it, as I recollect.” answered Jack still grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Something hit the door like a cannon ball and I come off my backside like a scalded cat.

Whatever 'twas hit once and waited.

I reckon whoever kicked it figured I'd come boilin' out like a mad hornet.

I am not the brightest candle in the chandelier but I am not entirely stupid.

Sailor-dog he looked at me and I raised a finger and Sailor he bit off his bark before it come out of his furry throat and I grinned and it was not a pleasant grin and I had felt that grin on my face before.

I held off killin' whoever was goin' to come down that trail and now someone come at my door and that meant blood on the moon and glad I was for it, there is a terrible joy to killin' that I got used to back durin' that damned War and God help me it feels good to know I can let that badger out.

I had me a hidden bolt hole out the back, it come out down hill about twenty foot and I looked through the gap I'd left for such moments and then I slid out and Cat Footed along to where I could just peek up over a little ledge and see who was tryin' to Bully Rag my front door.

Least that's what I intended to do.

I seen one of the outliers when he saw me and I shot first, then I taken out at a run and swarmed up to where I could shoot two more and then it was over.

They was facin' my door and they had rifles in hand and they was watchin' for me to open that door so they could punch my ticket.

Least they was facin' my door until I fired my first shot, then they come towards me and that was their last mistake this side of the Black River.

I eased back down and slid two rounds into the rifle and then a third and I ran to the side and come up to where I could see the side of the barn and then swing around behind it.

I run in the back of the barn ready for a young war and sure enough I found it and it was a face full of tin container and glad I was the cork was still in the spout for whatever was in that damned tin hit me like a fist and I roared forward and hit someone and they hit me and I hit them with the rifle's butt and then drove the gun muzzle into 'em like I had a bayonet only I didn't and I hit 'em twice more and they hit me and I reared back and kicked down and must have caught whosever knee it was and he went down and so did the butt of my rifle right acrost his throat and that killed him and I reared up and spun around and I had a short grip on that rifle, my hand was just behind the barrel band and t'other around the wrist and I wanted to kill again.

I wanted to kill.

I wanted to smell blood and I wanted to feel bone break and I wanted to crush a man's throat with my bare hands and I wanted to MURDER and then something like a bucket of cold water washed over my soul and I fell back against a stall and shivered and realized just what I was thinking.

I shook my head.

No.

I cannot ... let ... I cannot ...

I taken me a long breath and steadied myself and I shoved open the barn doors and faded back and looked around and didn't see nothing and I stepped out and looked around and I was walking on a hair trigger, I was ready to kill anyone I saw and I knew it and I didn't see no one and I hunted around til I found the Bush Whacker's horses.

"Well, hell," I muttered, "might as well pack these carcasses into town."
Like anything else, it sounds easy when you say it fast, but I got it done, and I figured once I got to town it was going to get interesting.

"Y'know, Lord," said I, "I reckon it might get kind of busy once I get there."
I felt my face twist up into that half smile again.

"I would not mind a'tall, Lord," said I, "if I was wrong on that."

Once the two men were locked in the jail, Marshall Utah Bob said, “Jack you need to write out a statement of what  happened. I can’t keep these men caged up without a reason. The county prosecutor is awful particular about following legal procedure.” Sighing Jack said, “I know Bob, it’s getting the same way down in Texas. Used to be we just hauled the miscreants in and locked them up until the circuit judge arrived. Now there’s got to be formal charges written up, warrants served and such like. It’s down right exasperating being a lawman these days. I’ll write it up now as I tell you all what happened. You see Doc and I......... And that’s how I ended up dragging those two into town from the north.”

Just as Jack was finishing his tale there was a commotion out in the street. “Now what? groused the Marshall as the jailhouse door banged open. “Marshall, come quick, Linn Keller just rode in trailing four men thrown over their saddles,” hollered a citizen. Jack raised his eyebrows and opined, “Well Bob, it looks like business is picking up around here.” “Yeah,” growled Bob. “More paperwork for me and more money for Digger. Let’s see what Linn has to say for himself.” As the Marshall led the crowd out of the jail, Linn Keller hailed him, “Howdy there Marshall, I’ve brought you and Digger some entertainment. I was some peeved when these four men tried to lure me out and punch my ticket. However, I’ve decided to forgive them as them paid the price of admission. On the other hand if I find the man or men that sent them on their mission I will exact payment in full.” “Junior, “ Bob said to a young boy. “Go down to Diggers shop and tell him he has business here. Linn, you might as well join the crowd in my office and tell me just what went on out at your place. I expect you’ll want to hear Cactus Jack’s story too. It’s getting so a honest lawman can’t get a nap during the day around here. If there’s any more business I’m going to ask the town council to let me hire a real deputy. Not just this Texas yahoo, who works gratis.”

There is a certain stain stays with a man and the military is no different, I addressed the Marshal as Marshal but in private he was Utah and I warn't about to call him that to his face right out in front of God and everybody.

Wouldn't afford due respect to his office and I respect the hell out of the man, he'd long since earned it and there was no way in two hells I would offer him an affront unless I was lookin' for a scrap and I like to avoid such things.

It generally leads to hurt faces and hurt feelin's and haulin' carcasses in draped acrost their saddles.

Now I set me down and I frowned at what was left of a pencil I'd been handed and I pulled out a short little knife and trimmed me up a good point on that gentleman and proceeded to draw me a diagram with arrows runnin' from an under lined word to show what hand drawn box was house and what was barn, a circled arrow to show North, the major trail: I showed where the outlier stood, I showed where them two was watchin' my door, I wrote out a statement and referred to the drawing as I wrote.

I did not write that I'd dug me a bolt hole and hid it, I wrote that I went out back when that Cannon Ball hit my front door and rattled me out of a nice easy set-down.

I was careful to say that every man I shot had a gun muzzle pointed towards me.

I also wrote down that, as the population of Outlaws had increased and if there was a Reward on any Carcass I brought in, I wished to claim it.

You never know, there just might be a reward, them's the kind of scoundrels Hammond hired and who knows maybe one of them carcasses has a price on it so I looked up at Eutaw and said "Marshal, iffen there's a reward on them that I brought in, I hereby lay claim to any cash money they're worth."

"What, you didn't go through their pockets?" one of the assembled jibed, and I throwed back my head and laughed, and it felt good to laugh.

"Now don't you know," I declared, "I plumb forgot to turn out their pockets. You reckon Hammond paid 'em ahead of time, or is he payin' after the job is done?"

That didn't set too well with one or to of 'em and I did not care.

I knew word would get back to Hammond and that suited me fine.

If I said somethin' that pushed him into bein' careless and he decided to commit suicide with me as his chosen implement, why, that was fine with me, even if it did mean a certain seamstress would likely beat me about the head and shoulders with a large heavy object was I to get hurt.

I looked over what I wrote and slid it across the desk and said "There ye go, Marshal, there's my statement and if the prosecutor has anythin' he's curious about, send him my way and I'll buy him a beer."

I stood up.

"Where you headed?"

"I'm goin' to find me somethin' to eat. Right now my stomach is kind of sand paperin' itself together and if I don't get me a bite, why, I won't cast a decent shadow in the noonday sun!"

"As full of it as you are you'll have no trouble castin' a shadow," he grumbled good naturedly, and I put a dramatic hand to my breast and batted my eyes.

"Why Marshal, you wound me, sir!"  I exclaimed , throwing out a beseeching hand:  "Just because I am as windy as a sack full of politicians --"

Some men can say more with a look than an orator can with a half hour of street corner preachin', and Utah was one such:  he give me that quiet look of his that said he knew what I was full of and get out of here before his stern expression cracked and fell off his face and he ended up laughin'.

At the sound of the commotion, Abigail and Kris, final fitting done, had walked out to see what was going on. They watched somberly as Keller rode up with the bodies, and watched as Doc Ward and Captain Burcher walked out with Utah Bob and Cactus Jack. They were as startled as anyone that Keller was bringing in the bodies. After Keller swung down from the saddle, he stood talking with the three other men.

Three men walked out of the mercantile, and seeing the bodies, strode quickly along the walk. The lead man, pushing past Abigail and Calamity Kris, caused them to stumble backward, Abigail hitting the wall. Doc heard her incensed "Hey, watch where you're going!" The last man in the group reached out to shove Abigail as he went past, snarling, "Shut up, woman, and stay out of our way!" Standing there, Keller could see vividly everything that happened. Abigail's face showing her Scottish fury, as Kris grabbed her to keep her from falling, and kept her from going after the men herself. Doc's face showing the sudden, urgent need to destroy as he saw hands on his wife. Keller instinctively reached for his friend's shoulder as the man turned to stride across the street toward the three, only to have Doc shrug it free as he said "Stay out of my way."

As he closed with the three, blocking their path, Doc, his voice menacing, said, "You will never lay hands on my wife again." The leader started to ask "Or wh..." When Doc's right hand shot out, flat, with palm down and thumb extended, to strike the man in his adam's apple with the web. As the man made a choking sound and bent forward slightly, clutching at his throat, Doc grabbed the back of the man's head and drove it downward into his knee as he drove it upward. The sound was loud in the air as knee broke nose and the man began to fall to the ground, even as Doc pushed him behind him and moved, keeping one of the remaining two between him and the third. As the nearest man reached for his pistol, Doc grabbed his wrist, causing the gun to discharge into ground, nearly striking his friend. Stepping in, Doc maintained his grip as he drove a work hardened fist into the man's middle, once, then twice, then a third. The sound of the man's wind leaving his lungs was accompanied by the sound of the thud of Doc's fist, and on the third punch, the sound of broken bone.

The man's revolver fell to the ground as he doubled over, and Doc brought a punch up to the man's face, jerking his head back even as Doc shoved him into the third man, the one who had actually pushed his wife. The man scrambled to step back, falling back against the boardwalk, unable to get his revolver out, the thong holding it in place and in his panic he couldn't get it undone. The man screamed shrilly, and began crying, "I'm sorry, I didn't know she was..." As Doc leapt with a fury onto him, driving a knee into his chest and cutting of his words. His face showing an eagerness to attack, Doc began striking at the man's face with sharp, powerful, methodical punches, slipping through the man's attempts to cover and protect himself.

Doc struggled against the multiple hands that grabbed him from behind, lifting him off the man and pulling him back, until Abby's face was in front of him, shouting as she put her hands to his face to focus his eyes on hers, "Hey! I'm alright! Stop it!" Looking around, his nostrils flaring, Doc saw Keller, Cactus Jack and Captain Burcher all holding him, as Utah Bob kept an eye on the other two downed men. Keller's voice echoed Abby's, "It's OK, man. They're down, and got the message if they're gonna." Looking at the three bloodied men on the ground, Doc nodded, and shrugged off the hands holding him, raising a hand of acknowledgment as he walked up the street to compose himself. Watching Abigail follow along, Burcher looked at Keller, "I see what you mean. It was like someone flipped a switch. You could see it in the man's eyes."

As Abigail caught up to her husband, taking his arm and slowing his walk, she asked "Are you alright, Ben?" Nodding he said, "Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry." Turning him to face her, she looked up at him, her anger at being pushed still showing, "You know I can take care of myself, those men weren't going to cause me serious harm here." Doc grinned sheepishly at her gentle scolding. "I never suggested you couldn't, but I will not stand idly by and let a man put hands on you, in any fashion." Abigail lifted an eyebrow, "Won't? Or can't?" Doc shrugged as he nodded his understanding of her question, "It isn't in me to. You mean more to me than anything else, including my own life." With a sigh, Abby reached for his hand and squeezed it. "I know, and I love you for that."

As the Marshall hauled one of the men to his feet, Linn lifted the second one off the ground  by his shirt collar. Jack raised the last one off the boardwalk and pushed him towards the jail. “Looks like you three will be spending a little time in the hoosegow.” “Why do we get arrested? He’s the one beat us for no reason,” said the third man. “He had reason enough to snuff your lights, your lucky he was feeling charitable. You ever push a woman around like that again, there’s no saying what the next man might do,” growled Jack. “Now get in there with your compatriots.” “Huh? Hey I ain’t no com..., what ever you said,” he complained.

With the jail cells filled to capacity Marshall Utah Bob said, “I’m hungry, which one of you is buying? Let’s go over to the cafe and put on the feed bag.” Jack responded, “Hey I work for you for free, now you want me to feed you too? If this keeps up I’ll have to go back to Texas, just to keep from going broke.” Linn and Utah Bob laughed as they filed out to the street with Jack trailing behind. As he was closing the door one of the men in the cells hollered, “What about us? Don’t you got to feed us?” “I’ll bring you back some bread and water, when I get a chance,” said Jack grinning at the cell block as he latched the door.

Once they had placed their orders, Linn asked, “Utah, do you expect word has reached Hammond yet? I’ve little doubt he sent those four men to remove me, permanently.” “He’ll know as soon as one of those ‘respectable citizens,’ that were hanging around while you spouted off, can get there. He’s got a few people in town impressed with his money, not many, but a few. Are you trying to set yourself up as a target? He’s apparently already got you and Doc in his sights.” “It’s been my experience that if a man gets agitated enough, he makes mistakes. If Hammond comes after me again, THAT will be a mistake from which he will not recover,” stated Keller emphatically.

Now when I come into town with dead men a-drape behind me, I didn't bring my buffalo rifle, I just brought my Winchester.

I know where it hits and I know where to hold and my belly was tellin' me to go set my backside down and throw on the feed bag and I figured might be I ought to wait just a little.

"John," said I, "g'wan in and eat your fill, you're lean enough you need a good square meal and they fix it good here, I'm goin' to wait out here in case we get company."

Texas Jack give me a look like a man will when he knows another man speaks rightly and he went on inside to eat.

Me, I stepped up on Bud-mule and throwed my leg over the saddle and laid the reins gentle-like on his neck and pressed with my knee and said "Yup, mule," and Bud he turned real nice and walked pretty as you please across the street and into the alley across from the hash house.

Now that's a bad habit of mine.

It ain't a hash house, it's a cafe and that's a cut above a hash house.

A hash house is kind of low grade and run down and this-yere cafe was clean and 'twas well tended and I never went in and found a dirty table cloth on the table.

Stained, maybe, but 'twas clean.

Bud he went head-bobbin' into that-there alley just far enough to be hid and he stopped like he knew I wanted him to stop right there and might be he did know, mules are smarter than horses and he likely remembered me doin' this same thing and for very similar reasons in years past.

That lasted about twenty minutes.

I'd found me a good place to loaf and Bud he could slouch with the best of 'em and then it started to sprinkle on the two of us and we ended up under the shed roof, Bud he was well back under and out of the wind and I was out from under the rain but the wind would blow some chilly mist at me when it come whistlin' down that dirt street and directly the street was muddy as sin and I give an eye to the clouds and a gauge to the wind and figured 'twas goin' to rain a little while longer and hopefully those pilgrims we left in Doc's wall tent had wood enough to keep warm, that young fella with the busted ribs would have no business draggin' wood and that young wife of his what with a brand new young'un would be busy enough the way thing stood.

I smiled a little as I recalled Captain Burcher ditchin' around the tent, and he cut the neatest little bitty ditch around it you ever saw, he had a good eye for grade and I reckon water runnin' off attair wall tent run into the ditch just fine and run down that little bit of a grade away from 'em.

I went back to Bud-mule and unrolled my slicker and throwed it over my head and then set my hat back in place, and then I went back to where I'd been and kept watch until I was duly relieved.

The rain slacked off and was near to quit by the time I traded my slicker for a hot meal.

Doc sat back and took a sip of coffee after Slim had poured him more. He held the mug in both hands, the heat feeling good after the abuse his fists had taken. "Where'd those two say they were supposed to meet the others with my money?" Cactus Jack explained the location, relatively close to the Hammond spread, on Burcher's property. Doc nodded, "So, if the two of us were to wear their clothes, and ride their horses, we might get fairly close, particularly if we wait until evening?" Captain Burcher stopped his fork halfway to his mouth and looked over at Doc. "Are you kidding? If whoever is waiting sees those two fellers, or who they think is those two, they might just open fire." Doc shook his head. "I don't think so. They need to make sure they have the money. My guess is they'll wait until they see the money to shoot. I think we could waltz right up to whoever it is, until they can recognize faces, and have no problems."

Cactus Jack looked at Burcher, then at Utah Bob before returning his gaze to look at Doc. "If you're crazy enough to do it, I'm crazy enough to go with you." The sound of a female clearing her throat caught everyone's attention, and Doc turned to look at Abigail, shaking her head, a look of amazement on her face, as if just now realizing how foolhardy her husband was. Doc shrugged, "I know, but I'm getting tired of people coming to try and ransack our house. One of these times one of us could be hurt, and that would leave me somewhat put out." Abigail couldn't help but smile at her husband's understatement, despite her annoyance with him. "I know better than to ask, but are you sure it's a good idea?" Doc laughed, "No, if I were sure, you would have come up with it."

Burcher chewed thoughtfully on the thick slice of ham. Swallowing, he gestured with his fork, "If you're going to do it, I'd suggest letting me and Keller reconnoiter a bit. Maybe take up a couple of comfortable positions close by, just in case." Abigail put her hand on Doc's arm, getting his attention. Looking, he saw her nod, "I'd feel much better about it if you did." Looking at the others, Doc responded, "That settles that. Captain, if you'd be so kind as to go ask Linn if he would join us, Cactus Jack and I will walk over to the jail with the Marshal.

Walking into the jail, Doc and Jack followed Utah Bob as he walked to the cell the two men Cactus Jack had brought in were in. Both were stretched out on bunks, but looked up at the men's approach. Pointing with his index and middle finger, the men's eyes grew wide with Bob's command. "You two. Strip out of your duds. NOW!"

As I walked into the Town Marshal's office I saw two men stripping down and I suppressed an outright laugh.  "Marshal, I've got some men tied across their saddles out front, tried to bushwack me this morning while I was breaking camp about 5 miles east of here.  Don't recognize them, but they look to be the type who might have paper out.  When you get done with your prisoners I'd appreciate it if you take a look.  Any reward money can go to the orphanage."

UB looked at me.  "Be along shortly, you plan on sticking around?"  I shook my head no and responded "Unless you need me to, I have business in Dodge City and have traveling to do.  I have a bit of time to spare I suppose, if I'm needed.  I'll be at the saloon til your ready.  Linn, Doc, glad to see you are still above ground."

Everyone looked around at the sound of the door opening, and saw J. Mark Flint walk in. Doc Ward was as surprised as anyone else to see the man in town, and asked "J. Mark Flint! How have you been, man? What brings you this far North? I thought you preferred warmer climates?" J. Mark shrugged, "I had some business to attend to. As a lawyer, before you get any ideas." Nodding his understanding, Doc gestured to Captain Burcher, "Colonel Flint, Captain Burcher. Captain Burcher, another Son of the South, and a man who helped keep me above ground a few years back."

As Burcher reached for J. Mark's hand, he looked, as if trying to place the face, "Cavalry, if I'm not mistaken?" A slight tilt of the head and lift of the eyebrows, and J. Mark responded, "Whatever was necessary." Doc mused at the comment, "Also quite the sharpshooter, as I recall. You wouldn't happen to still have that big Sharps, would you?" J. Mark gave a look of mock offense, "You think I would part with such a wonderful thing?" His face grew serious as he looked at the men standing  around him, "Why? Are you needful of my services?" Doc paused, "I hesitate to say anything or ask, but then again, I don't want to not ask, knowing you might think we didn't like your company anymore." Doc grinned before continuing, "We're having a bit of trouble hereabouts, and with what we're getting ready to do, having you and your long range skills could come in handy."

Doc gestured to the two men standing in their cell in their union suits, "These two were caught ransacking my place, and were to take anything they found to a meeting with a local rancher, to split the proceeds." J. Mark looked into the eyes of the two men over the shoulders of his friends, "In other words, this local rancher got the two dumbest fellas he could find, who were gullible enough to believe he wouldn't shoot them dead once they delivered?" The two started to protest, but a sharp "Silence!" from Utah Bob shut them up. Doc nodded, "Whether you go with us or not, your first drink at the Saloon is on me. At any rate, here's our plan..."

After returning to her shop, Calamity sat and wondered, what was the town coming to?  What were Hammond and his men up to?  There must be something on that land or why else would they want it?  Whatever is was, she was sure Cushman was involved.  He was always involved in some kind of unsavory activity, under the guise of "helping" someone.  What she did know is she had better get herself and her shop ready for anything that might come along.  Maybe she should only keep samples of her fabrics in the shop and store the rest at home.  She had been burned out once before and remembered what a tremendous loss it was.  She could bring her wagon in tomorrow and load up all the items she didn't need right away and take them home, leaving only the things she was currently working on and enough items for samples.  Now to get to work deciding what was going and what was staying.

As Doc went over to the jail, Abigail walked back over to talk to Calamity Kris a bit longer, thinking she might see if she could stay the night, since the two Burcher hands were with the Henderson's. She thought it would be safe, and then she could return in the morning. As she walked in, she saw Kris setting bolts of cloth and other items on a table. Looking around, she asked, "Uhmmm... Kris? What are you doing?" When Kris explained, Abigail's worry showed. "Has it come to that?" Kris shrugged, "I don't know, but I'm afraid, and I refuse to be burned out again."

Abigail looked at her friend, then turned on her heel, "I'll be right back." When she returned, she lifted a rifle, "I told Ben I'd be needing this. If you're that worried, we can take shifts. Nobody is going to burn you out if I have anything to say about it." Kris looked at Abigail, hesitantly, "Are you sure?" Abigail nodded, "Damn right I am!" Then her eyes widened and she covered her mouth as she laughed at her words. Kris laughed, then looked around, "Well, then, I believe I have some blankets."

UB looked over the four bodies.  "There's paper on two of them, total of 500.00 dollars, I'll see that you are paid when the bank opens, but I noticed something odd."

I looked at him, "Do we have a problem?" I asked cautiously  "No, no problem, its just that usually I get bodies with bullet holes, looks like someone beat these men to death."

I nodded, Something like that, as I said they jumped me as I was breaking camp,  wasn't wearing my guns, but I had a piece of firewood in hand. I smacked one upside the head, pulled the second one off his horse, figure his neck broke when I drove him into the ground."

UB looked at me hard "And the other two?"  I shrugged my shoulders "Couldn't say, by then I was seeing red."  I held up my fists which were scrapped and reddened  "I looked around afterwards and the best I can figure is one shot me before I could get to him."  I pulled my vest aside showing a red line of blood seeping through my shirt,across the edge of my torso.  "Just a flesh wound, but I hate being shot."

UB shook his head "How long you figure to be in town?" he asked.  I showed mock surprise "Am I not welcome here?"

He looked at me "I suppose you are...even the plagues were sent by G-d"

I chuckled "Been called a lot of things, but a plague, that's new.  See me over at the saloon, I'll buy you a drink."

An old and dear friend once told me I have such a marvelous gift for turning invisible.

I hunched over my meal and et in silence and I reckon I would have been as much good company as a wet and moldy blanket.

My slicker was a-drippin' over by the door and my hat was hung up and hot coffee and a hot meal warmed me from the inside.

I listened close and God forgive me I could not keep that morose expression when Abigail cleared her throat.

Some men can speak volumes with a look and Abigail give a whole speech with that delicate little ahem of hers.

Her and Doc were well matched, I reflected, and I genuinely pity the poor fool that gets her feminine irritations lit up.

Doc has on occasion mentioned her Highland Scots ancestry and I well know the Celtic temper -- hell, I'm Scots-Irish myself -- and generally the Scots fight not only with fierceness but also with a cold intelligence and an absolutely deadly determination.

Captain Burcher mentioned a reconnoiter and I looked up long enough to catch his eye and nod once and then I turned my attention back to my plate and coffee.

Doc shrugged into the clothes offered to him, the shirt and coat fitting quite snuggly through the shoulders. Looking at Cactus Jack, he could see the hint of distaste on his face. Looking into the cell, he queried, "Ya'll ever hear of a bath? S'posed to be ever' Saturday, not just Saturday. If I get flea-bit, I'ma take it outta your hide." The man who had "donated" his clothes started to say something, then thought better of it and sat back on his bunk.

Doc looked around at Burcher and the others, "I wouldn't be surprised if Cushman is somewhere in the area of where the exchange is to take place. He won't want to be close enough to be in any danger, but close enough to see, so he doesn't get cheated out of his share of things. Not that it would stop Hammond. That's where the reconnaissance comes in. Don't do anything until Jack and I make our move, unless you have to, but also make sure there are no other unwelcome surprises for us."

Utah Bob spoke up, "Do you really think the banker is involved?" Doc paused, thinking, then spoke, "Well, that fella Keller ran across said Hammond was going to buy cattle with an influx of cash, and those two in the cell said they were told there was cash at my place and Cushman was involved. While I don't think their word would be taken against Cushman's or Hammond's, I don't think they're bright enough to make up such a tale and lie." After a pause, one of the men realized he had been insulted, and mustered the wherewithal to offer his rebuttal, a drawn out, "Heyyyy!"

About that time, Abigail came pushing through the door, stopped and took a look at her husband and snickered. "Your new clothes leave something to be desired, dear." As Doc let out a sarcastic, "Thanks," his wife continued, "I'm taking your Winchester and some ammo, and I'm going to stay with Calamity Kris. She's worried about getting burned out again, that something bad is going to happen, and I'll have none of that. Don't do anything stupid, I love you." With that, she turned on her heel and was back out the door, leaving the men staring at the door as it closed, then at Doc. Looking back at the men, Doc lifted his eyebrows, "What, you think she would listen to me if I said 'No?'"

I gave only passing thought to home and my own bunk.
Another legacy of wearing Union blue.
You might let your mind wander in an unguarded moment but I was not at all unguarded in my thoughts.

I got my belly filled and by then I was dried off, so I went out to take me a look at the weather.

I learned to hate, loathe, despise and utterly dislike mud, not necessarily in that order, but there was no help for it, not after a rain.

That can work both ways.

Mud leaves indistinct tracks, soft ground will track easy but if you ride back along your back trail and forward again it'll often confuse the trail enough a body will have difficulty telling which set is the newest.

Unless you're really good at reading sign, and I'd known men that were.

Bud-mule was still happily sheltering under that tin roof, I don't know what was started there -- 'twas just poles and tin roofin' so far -- but Bud he made himself at home, and the ladies told me later they'd stopped and petted him and told him he was such a pretty boy and he'd laid his ears back and got real sleepy lookin' and he stuck his neck out and made that God-awful death rattle sound that meant he was particularly happy, he done that when I offered him salt.

Good lookin' women have that general effect on the male, I've noticed.

Although he was a stranger in this town, Kit apparently was not a stranger to acquiring large pieces of property through deed transfers. Having seen J. Mark at his door was a shock, especially after their last encounter. Kit had found him to have an initial reaction to strangers that, let's just say, leaves a lingering taste in your mouth that no matter how hard you try taking your tongue and rubbing your mouth and lips, it won't go away. Maybe, he thought, he was wrong about him.
Grabbing his hat, and stuffing the recently acquired deed into his vest pocket, he headed downstairs, out onto the boardwalk and straight for the Land Office. Passing the General Store, he saw the lady inside at the counter that had given him a scrowl when he first arrived in town. Kit gave her a tip of his hat, and a pleasant "Fine morning, isn't it Ma'am?" to which she merely returned the same look as before. Shrugging off her response, he continued down the rickkety boardwalk, past the bank and stopped in front of the Land Office. Before turning the door knob, he glanced back down the boardwalk and as expected, saw the lady from the General Store who had popped her head out to see what he was doing, and quickly jerking her head back into her shop!
His attempt to open the door to the Land Office failed. The door was locked. Moving to the left side of the door, cupping his hands on the now dusty window, he could barely distinguish any presence in the office itself. The inside looked dark and uninhabited with lots of paperwork strewn across numerous tables lined up like soldiers waiting for inspection. He could see what appeared to be a door leading to a back office and a shadow moving back and forth cast on the opposing wall. Returning to the door and raising his hand to tap on the glass, he was stopped by the sound of a rider coming down the street with two prisoners, hands tied to their saddle horns. As they all approached the Sheriff's Office where UB and two other men were heading down main Street, Kit caught his first glimpse of the man with the two prisoners. "Well I'll be... If it ain't Texas Jack Caulder", he mused to himself, as he nodded in recognition, too late to catch him, as he joined the others with UB.
Turning back to the door, he rapped hard on the glass, hard enough to get someone's attention, but not too hard to break the glass. There was movement from the back office area as someone approached the door.

After Doc explained his plan to impersonate the two cat burgers that Jack had caught, Jack said, "If you're crazy enough to do it, I'm crazy enough to go with you." They finished their meal and headed over to the jail. Utah Bob had the prisoners strip and hand over their clothing, such as it was. Looking at the clothes Jack wrinkled his nose and told the man whose cloths he wore, “If I get flea-bit, I'ma take it outta your hide.” Turning to the others he said, “I’d druther get this over with than spend all day in this outfit, it stinks to high heaven.” This drew another “Heyyy” from the spokesman of the prisoners. Jack cast him a cold look that abruptly shut him up.

“Okay,” said Doc. “If we leave in an hour we should arrive at the meeting site just about dusk. That should afford us some leeway to approach without our  deception being discovered. UB if you three leave now you should be able to find good cover to observe the area. Jack and I will take a leisurely pace so as not to excite who ever is waiting to meet these men. Unless you see something wrong, wait for us to start the ball.”

Later as Doc and Jack left the Marshall’s office, J. Mark Flint stepped out of the saloon. Spying the pair he crossed the street and observed, “Doc it seems you choice of clothing leaves some room for improvement.” Huffing a short laugh Doc said “Yeah, we’ll circumstances require a disguise once in a while. Those fellows you saw stripped down in the jail were set to meet another criminal, Jack and I will keep their appointment for them.” “Sounds like fun,” opined J. Mark, “You need some company?” “Thank you for the offer J. Mark, but Utah Bob, Linn Keller and Captain Burcher are already set up and I wouldn’t want to surprise them with another unexpected face. It might get confusing and dangerous.” “Okay,” drawled J. Mark, “I’ll be I town for a short while then I’m pulling my freight for Dodge City. I’ve an appointment of my own down there. I hope to see you before I head out, just to know how you made out with your rendezvous.”

Kit was not expecting the voice on the other side of the door, he heard a woman’s voice say “How may I help you?” “I’m in need of verifying a land deed that was just provided to me,” Kit replied, still rattled, and stumbling with his speech. With that, there was a brief moment of silence, then the slow unlatching of the lock, turning of the doorknob and a small, but usable opening of the door so as to only allow conversation. “I’m not open for business yet, could you come back in say an hour?” she replied. Not wanting to be rude, Kit apologized for the interruption; however, insisted that this matter was of great importance to him. Another moment of silence, then the door opened fully.

When it comes to door opening surprises, this was no J. Mark Flint!

Standing in front of him was this vision of beauty such that he had never seen since the passing of his wife. Always the gentleman, it was not in his nature to stare.

Her petite figure went well with her wafer-thin body. Her complexion was impeccable with a glow to it even in the dimly lit office. Slender arched eyebrows only enhanced her sweeping velvety eyelashes and with a dainty nose surrounded by twin rapture blue eyes that were the centerpiece to her coils of sunrise golden hair. Her heart-shaped lips, though pursed now, shined. Although attired in a flowing overly large plain white shirt and brown khaki pants with boots, it somehow did not diminish her overall appearance.

Before introductions could be made, they were both startled by the appearance of another rider, this time on a mule with four trailing horses, bodies laying belly over saddle and hog-tied. As they rode toward the Sheriff’s Office, I turned back around, and the woman had already gone back to her office.

Stepping into the room and closing the door behind me, I approached the office and found her sitting at her desk shuffling papers as if to ignore me on purpose. “You didn’t seem to be bothered by the sight of dead men being hauled into town,” Kit asked. “Obviously, you haven’t been in town long enough, as this has become a daily ritual ever since Hammond and his sons laid claim to land that doesn’t belong to them,” she scoffed. Sensing the tension in the air already, Kit attempted to resolve that situation. Doffing his hat and extending a hand in her direction, he introduced himself to her. “Name’s Kit, and it’s pleasure to make your acquaintance. My apologies for the interruption.” Another moment of silence, which he was beginning to think was part of her nature, and then she stood up and took his hand, shaking it while introducing herself, “I’m Venus Lardy, proprietor of this Land Office.”

Calamity made sure the cot she kept in the back room was clean and serviceable.   "I'm afraid this is all I have, Abby". I do have another blanket I can give you to soften it up a bit.  I keep this here in case I end up working really late.  Sometimes I'll just take a nap here, then rise and start work again."  "I'm sure it's just fine, Kris" Abby said in a reassuring tone.  "Kris, do you really think they will try to set fire to your shop again?" Abby asked curiously.  "I don't know," Kris replied.  "There have been too many strange and evil goings on in town to not be, even a little bit suspicious."  Abby shook her head in agreement.  Kris started "Well, you had better get some rest, Abby.  I really do appreciate you coming to stay with me."  Abby walked up and gave her friend a hug.  "I only do this for friends, Kris and I consider you one."  Kris blushed and held her friends hands, mouthing the words thank you.  Abby went to settle down on the cot while Kris went to the front of the shop to retrieve the rifle she had hidden up there.  She believed you can never be too careful.  Kris sat in the chair up front, rifle across her lap, while her friend slept. 

As Doc and Jack approached the meeting point, they kept their hats pulled down. Jack spoke softly, “I haven’t seen any sign of Linn, Captain Burcher or the Marshall. I take that as a good sign that no one else will have either.” “You are not worried that they may have been discovered and taken?” asked Doc. “Nah,” replied Jack. “We would have heard the scrap if anyone tried to take Keller or Burcher. I have not known them more than a few days, but I know their type. We have a couple of old soldiers from both sides riding in the Rangers. They’d go down fighting to the end, so would Keller and Burcher. The Marshall I haven’t been around as much, but I figure if you trust him he’s made of the same cloth.”

Arriving at the crossroads Doc and Jack pulled up. Jack turned his horse as if to face Doc, allowing him to keep a watch to their back trail. He spoke up, “Well ‘Wes’ where do yuh reckon that hombre to be?” “I dunno, he said he’d meet us hair, ‘Sam’. He must be deelayed er sump’n,” replied Doc. “Jest settle down, he’ll show if’n he wunts his share.” As they were talking a horse and rider eased out of the trees just off the rode. “Howdy there fellows,” hollered the rider as he approached. “Did you have any success in your adventure?” “Jehoshaphat,” exclaimed Jack. “Yuh nearly got yurself kilt. Dun’t never sneak up on people thet way, specially in thu dark like this.” The rider groused, “If you’d been quicker about this business, you’d of been here in the light. It isn’t my fault you two took so long searching the Ward’s house and getting here. Did you find the cash or not?” “We got it,”  grumbled Jack. “Ain’t no need to be grumpy, just be more keerful when yuh approach someone.” “Well where is it?” demanded the rider. “It’s hid back down the trail,” said Doc. “We dun’t figure to get back shot deliver’n thu goods. Y’all ride along ahead of us whar we can keep an eye on yuh. We’ll tell yuh when tuh stop.” “How do I know you won’t back shoot me and keep all the money for your selves.” the rider asked. “If’n we wus gonna keep all thu money we’da high tailed it outa thu territory, instead of meet’n yuh. Yuh’d never a seen us agin. Now move on down the road or we may change our minds,” growled Doc, with his hand hooked on his belt just above his pistol.

As the trio moved along Jack watched for an ambush. No one appeared until they reached a bend in the road. Around the bend Linn Keller sat his mule squarely in the path with his rifle propped up on his thigh. “Hello, MR. HAMMOND,” he said. “Where is your father, the SR. MR. HAMMOND? Did he send you to take the fall for this nights work?” “I don’t know what you are talking about,” squeaked the Hammond son. “Why are you blocking the road. My hands here and I are headed into town. We’ve done nothing to you.” Jack spoke up, “I caught those two polecats your old man sent to the Ward’s home. They were right chatty once I convinced them they needed to come clean. We had a nice long talk about how your family and Mr. Cushman planned to defraud Doc and Miss Abby out of their money and land. Your goose is cooked Junior. Your best chance for not spending a long stretch in prison is to come clean too.” Just then the Marshall and Burcher rode out of the trees on the other side of the road. “Shall we get this party on down to the jail?” queried Utah Bob as he slipped his rifle into the scabbard. “I’m very interested in what young Hammond might have to say once we have him locked up.” “You have no right to arrest me, I’ve done nothing wrong, you have no evidence,” hollered the young man. “Ah, but that’s where your wrong,”replied Utah Bob. “You admitted that you were here to collect money you knew was stolen from the Ward’s home. And we all heard it. That is five reliable witnesses to your admission of the conspiracy to breaking and entering and grand theft, a felony punishable by ten years in prison. As Jack said ‘Your goose is cooked’.”

Doc Ward nodded at Calder's reassurance. He had confidence in Keller and Burcher to do their reconnaissance quickly and quietly. He had known Keller long enough to know him an expert at being unheard and unseen. That is, until he wanted to be. The look on Hammond's face when Cactus Jack lifted his head enough to be seen was simply disbelief. When Keller approached, the look changed to one more akin to terror. After his initial protests, the younger Hammond clammed up, saying only, "My pa will have plenty to say about this."

As the group rode back into town, Doc reached to try to scratch at his back and looked over at Cactus Jack, "I'll be glad to get out of these clothes. I just hope Abby will let me inside to get a bath." Cactus Jack laughed, responding, "At this point, I'd settle for a dunk in a horse trough. Besides, she's staying with Calamity Kris, remember?" The two rode along, lagging a bit behind the others, each itching a bit. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fleas," Jack said as he scratched himself."

Once in town, Doc noticed the man who had ridden in, looking the town over as he rode, step outside the Land Office with Venus Lardy. Calder paused as he saw him, then drew up. "Long way from home, aren't you, Father Kit?" Looking at Doc, he said, "I'll be along momentarily, I have a bit of catching up to do." With a wave of his hand, Doc replied, "Don't be too long, once I get out of these clothes and get cleaned up, I'll be heading over to the Saloon. I've owed J. Mark Flint a drink or two for awhile now, and it is one I intend to repay before he gets gone again. Figure I'll by your first round too." Cactus Jack perked up, "I won't be long at all then."

After watching the young Hammond put into a cell, Doc sent over to the mercantile for some new undergarments, and began stripping down in the back room at the jail, and began scrubbing, not caring that the water was cold. After getting dressed, he tossed his old union suit in the trash and took out the clothes he had worn and tossed them unceremoniously on the floor in front of the cell. Noticing all three men sitting sullenly, Doc didn't bother to say anything to them. Looking at Keller, Burcher and Utah Bob, he said, "I'll meet you over at the Saloon shortly. I want to go check on Abby."

Walking to Kris's place, Doc stepped inside, to see Kris sitting, doing a bit of sewing, rifle across her lap. Looking up, she smiled and pointed to the back, "Abigail is in back, getting some sleep. She probably isn't sleeping well on that uncomfortable cot, though." Doc shook his head, "She was sleeping on the ground taking care of the Henderson's, she's probably sound asleep. Speaking of the Henderson's, I need to get back to check on them soon. Let Abby sleep, when she wakes up, tell her we made it back OK."

Kris nodded, "No problems, then?" Doc frowned as he thought, knowing Kris to be strong. Being married to Abigail, Doc strongly believed men shouldn't try to spare women bad news, or keep them from knowing the truth of things, as some did. "We just put one of Hammond's sons in jail. I'm thinking when he finds out, he'll be fit to be tied. It might get worse before it gets better." Seeing Kris frown, Doc raised his hand and shook his head reassuringly, "We've seen worse, I'm sure." Kris remained unconvinced, "I certainly hope so. Where will you be?" Doc tilted his head toward the Saloon, "I'm going to go have a drink or two with J. Mark Flint, if he hasn't already left town." Kris's eyes widened a little, "J. Mark...? You tell him to stop by and say hello before he leaves." Turning to head out, Doc nodded, "I'll do just that."

"So, what can I do for you Mr. Kit? Venus asked, now seated comfortably in her chair, arms folded on her lap.

"Please call me Kit, my last name is Garth. I've recently been handed a deed to some land around here and I wish to confirm that it's a valid claim before deciding what I want to do with it." He then proceeded to reach into his vest pocket, pulling out the yellowed, folded paper that J. Mark had given to him, unfolding it, and laying it on the desk in front of Venus.

Moving forward, she pulled opened the right-hand drawer and retrieved a magnifying glass, and pulling the paper closer to her began to scan the document. After several minutes had passed, she placed the magnifying glass back into the drawer, closing it, then pushing her chair back and standing up she grabbed the paper and said, "Follow me."

They both moved into the work area outside her office and as she approached one of the large plat cabinets lining the side walls, searching the labels on the outside, finding the one she was looking for and pulling it open, she stated with a decisive tone, "Your deed is valid and the original document". Before Kit could respond, she continued, "I want to verify the survey and plat to confirm our records match your deed to prevent any controversies that may arise, and Lord knows we've had our share of them!" she explained.

Rifling through the stack of documents in the drawer she had pulled out, finding the one she was looking for, pulling it out and laying it on the counter closest to her. After diligently perusing the large document, she then moved to a row of smaller file cabinets on the opposite wall, opened the third drawer and retrieved a brown envelope.

Closing the drawer and returning to the counter where Kit still stood watching this woman perform what appeared to be a well-choreographed dance, she placed the contents of the envelope on the counter and oblivious to the fact the he was still standing next to her, as if he didn't exist, began to scrutinize them.

What seemed like hours, but in reality were only a few minutes, she stepped back from the counter, leaned against an opposing counter and folding her arms across her chest, gave Kit a Cheshire grin and stated, "Of Norwegian descent are we now, Mr. Garth!"

Doc Ward walked into the Saloon, stepping to the side and scanning the inside, looking at faces and postures as he looked for J. Mark Flint. Certainly a new crowd was in the Saloon, several faces that Doc didn't recognize. Spotting J. Mark's black hat and silver hat band through the haze and people, Doc realized his friend was deep into a game of poker. Looking further, Doc saw Utah Bob and Linn Keller sitting at a table, a bottle of bourbon between them as they chatted. Walking to the bar, Doc asked for a glass so he could join them.

A man Doc didn't recognize, with a foot propped on the brass bar and an elbow on the bar top glanced over at Doc, "Gen'rally, a fella gets a bottle when he asks fer a glass. Watcha gonna do, have some water from the pump outside?" Doc looked over at the man, first into his eyes, then an appraising glance down, taking in his clothing, gun belt, down to his boots with run down heels, then back up at the slight sneer on the man's unshaven face. Doc, a bored look on his face, replied in a dry tone, "If I decide I need lessons in etiquette, I think I'll look elsewhere. In the meanwhile, if you're going to start trouble, you might want to make sure the thong is off your revolver." As Miss Whiskey handed Doc a glass, he thanked her and turned his back on the man, whose face had gone red as his friends laughed.

Setting the glass down on the table, Doc was about to sit when he saw Linn and Bob glance behind him. He heard the man's voice, loud and belligerent, "YOU! I didn't say I was through with you!" Doc turned slightly, drawing as he did, the sound of the hammer clicking back loud in the room. The man's eyes got wide, crossing slightly as he stared at the muzzle inches from the bridge of his nose, and his hand lifted high away from his gun. Doc fought down the anger that was building in him, but the man could see the look on Doc's face, and knew he was on thin ice. "Through with me? Mister, I don't know who you are, but are you sure you want me to get started with you?" The man gulped audibly, as his eyes went from Doc, to others watching in the room, wishing for a way to save face, but realizing none was forthcoming.

Doc took a deep breath, and carefully lowered the hammer on his Colt. "Miss Whiskey? Buy this man one of whatever he is drinking on me." Stepping closer to the man, Doc said in a lower tone, "My advice is drink it, then draw your pay and ride. You aren't cut out as a tough guy." The man swallowed loudly again, and slowly turned to the bar, not wanting to make a move that might cause the revolver he just saw to open up. As he did, Miss Whiskey sat a glass of beer on the bar, her smile bright, concealing the fact she was happy there wasn't a mess to clean up.

Glancing over at where J. Mark was playing poker, Doc saw his hand move away from the revolver he wore, his eyes going from the man's friends, and back to the game. Doc filled his glass as soon as he sat, and knocked back the good bourbon. Looking from Linn to Bob, he shook his head, "Seems the dull moments are getting harder to find. Where did Burcher go?" Utah Bob lifted his own hand from under the table, and Doc noted Keller, who sat across from him, did not. Keller gave a gesture with the tilt of his head. "Back to check on his men and on the Hendersons." Doc nodded his understanding, "I need to go check on Mr. Henderson myself, see if those ribs are healing at all."

About that time, Doc heard J.Mark Flint's voice, a little louder than it had been, "A pair of Aces? Well, now, that's a problem, since you dealt me three..."

Abigail popped awake, trying to orient herself in a strange place, her eyes darting around the room at the familiar yet unfamiliar surroundings.  As soon as she remembered where she was, she stretched and took a deep breath, sliding her legs off the cot and onto the floor.  Kris heard the gentle rustle of Abigail's dress.  "How was your nap, Abigail?  Can I heat up some tea for you?" Kris called as she placed her sewing on the table.  She grabbed her rifle standing and stretching herself.  She didn't want to wake Abby so she sat quietly in the chair sewing for what seemed like hours.  "No thank you" Abby replied.  "Your cot is just fine, Kris.  The extra blanket did the trick."  "I'm glad it worked for you" Kris replied.  "I'm afraid I'm not much of a hostess, for I don't have much to eat except tea cakes" "By the way, Ben came by."  "Oh, they're back already" Abigail exclaimed with a surprise.  "Yes they went to the saloon to have a drink and a bite to eat" Kris explained.  "Ben indicated there was the possibility of more trouble on the horizon."  "That is too bad", Abigail said flatly.  "I'm not surprised, given the recent events, but sad all the same.  Hopefully things will get better soon."  "Yes," Kris said distantly.  "Hopefully soon".

After a visit to the Barber Shop for a bath, trim and shave, Jack walked into the saloon looking for Doc and friends. The hubbub of talk damped down as he stepped through the doorway and moved to the side. All heads turned his way, gave him the once over and then turned back to what ever they had been doing. The volume rose as everyone decided Jack was not going to make life interesting. Ambling over to Doc’s table he asked, “Wha’d I miss? Folks here seem a might spooked.” Keller grinned and said, “You know how Doc is always raising a ruckus. He had an etiquette discussion with some windbag. The fellow ended up pulling his freight but I’m sure a few here figured he’d be back to renew Doc’s acquaintance.”  “Boss, I’m sorry I missed the etiquette lesson,” laughed Jack. “Lord knows my manners could use some polishing. I reckon spending so much time in Texas has begun to erode the lessons my mother tried to teach me.”

“Jack, if you keep calling me Boss I’m liable to get a swelled head,” said Doc. “Have you found any more indication of where that fellow ‘Frezzel’ got to after the Pinkerton's blew their shot at him?” “No, I’m thinking he may have skedaddled,” groused Jack. “I haven’t seen Slim Dawkins or his compadres either. They probably faded back to their headquarters to regroup. If they hadn’t jumped the gun we might’a got that evil son. Now he’s in the wind again. I’ll telegraph my Captain tomorrow and see if there is any word. Otherwise, I’ll probably be ordered back to Texas. I will hate to have to leave you in the lurch.” Doc responded, “You wouldn’t be leaving me in the lurch Jack. You came here to do a job. The help you have given Abby and I is greatly appreciated. The trouble here was building before you arrived and hopefully we can settle it soon. Remember we are not exactly alone. Linn, Utah Bob, Burcher and I can make a formidable force if needed.”

Linn said, “Jack, I wouldn’t be so quick to count Frezzel gone. He came here with a destination in mind. When I ran across him, he was headed to town. However, he was crossing Burcher’s land from the direction of the Hammond spread. It may be Frezzel is one of the gun rannies the old man hired to push his claims on what he thinks is open range. Was I you I’d hang around a little while and see if your target is still in the area.” “I’d sure like to get this Frezzel character out of circulation,” said Jack. “Not many times I’ve missed my mark and this job is real important. That man is as cold a killer as I’ve ever run across. I believe he is one who is not just callus but he enjoys killing. That’s one sick hombre and I’d not want to leave him loose around here where I’ve got friends.”

Kit's mouth opened so far; a Wells Fargo stagecoach could have gone straight through it. Realizing how he must have looked, he quickly closed it now waiting for Venus to explain. Instead, she merely stood there letting him compose himself while she took in his discomfort.

With the anticipation exhausted, she proceeded, "Apparently, you're a descendant of the Garthe family from Norway. Your grandfather, Christen Isachson Garthe, immigrated to the United States in 1842 and settled in Kentucky where carpentry was his trade. He bought stock in the Union-Pacific railroad and they later gave him land they acquired to put the rails through East Fork in return for redemption of his stock. You are the proud owner of 500 acres of land east of town!"

Venus was surprised at Kit's reaction which was basically stoic, seemingly unconcerned with knowing about his heritage or the fact that he now owns land here in East Fork. She then continued, “If you wish, I’d like to prepare a new deed indicating you are now the rightful owner of the land.” Kit immediately replied, as if he were one step ahead of her, “Please do so, and let me know what I owe you once you are finished.” “It would be my pleasure,” she replied, “I should have it done by tomorrow.”

With that, Kit again tipped his hat, turned, and left the Land Office heading to the diner for something to eat. Heading down the boardwalk, three rough cowboys exited the General Store some distance in front of him just past the Bank. Two women were heading the opposite direction, when one of the men pushed a petite, fiery redhead almost causing her to fall were it not for her friend catching her. Kit was ready to spring into action, as this was a behavior he abhorred, but before he could get there, a tall man approached the group and a scuffle ensued. Kit halted his approach as he could clearly see that the tall man could handle himself well, resulting in their subsequent defeat and arrest by UB, who proceeded to take them all to jail and lock them up.

Entering the diner, Kit finds a quiet table in the back and orders up a meal. Good to have something other than beans while on the trail, he thought to himself. When his plate arrived, it boasted beef, potatoes, eggs, and sour-dough bread served with a hot cup of black coffee.

Soon the men who seemed to always be together, UB, Jack Caulder, the tall man who fought the three men, and another gentleman wearing a pearl grey hat, entered the diner. They did not seem to notice Kit in the darkened corner as daylight was surrendering to night and it started to rain outside. They seemed too involved in their own conversation, which Kit was unable to make out in detail, but involved some scheme to outwit their intended target. Kit merely relaxed and enjoyed his meal, as it was none of his business, and he had no intention of making it his.

Eventually the group of men left the diner replaced by the man who rode a mule, coming in from the rain dripping wet. Kit was able to leave without being recognized. 

Calling man on cheating almost always has the same result and this time was no different.  I saw as the gambler tried to twist his body to the left in preparation to draw and I kicked as hard as I could, striking his shin hearing the snap of the bone.  His face went white and his gun clattered to the ground. In an instant Marshal UB had kicked the gun away and had his own colt covering the man on the ground.  Carefully, he checked for and removed a hideout gun and a knife from the gambler before instructing two men to haul him to the jail and get the Doctor.

Once he was out of the Saloon, UB sat across from me in the man's seat. "I'll need a written statement from each of you before you leave town. J. Mark how about you come by the office first and we'll get yours out of the way."  It wasn't a question, but a politely phrased order and I had no intention of arguing.  I finished my drink and spread the Gambler's money among the other players, taking the pot for myself before rising to my feet.  I tipped my hat to Whiskey and apologized for the ruckus, dropping a handful of gold coins on the bar.  I followed UB out the door, noting the trail of blood from the man's leg.  Outside, UB quietly spoke "You should of killed him, would have saved a heap of trouble."

I nodded "Well Marshal, from the look of the blood trail he's leaving, I may have."  As we stepped into the office, the Doctor was preparing frantically to amputate the man's leg just above the knee.  He glanced over at UB, "Bone cut an artery, damage is too bad to fix, his only chance is an amputation and. . .  I've never done one."  UB took a moment, "Well do your best, it ain't like we have much choice."

"Marshal, I had some training in the war, I know the procedure and have done it a few times."  The doctor looked at me seemingly relieved. and UB looked at me. "If you're game"

I dropped my hat and guns on the desk and rolled up my sleeves. The cell floor was slick and covered in blood already, "Move that tourniquet up a few inches and get me a scalpel and a bone saw. UB, you got any booze?"  He handed me a bottle and I rinsed my hands and the man's leg,  then forced the remainder of the bottle down his throat.  "Tie him to the cot, hard. UB throw some blankets down on the floor, I don't want to slip in the blood."

The doctor stepped back and I checked the tourniquet "Get the sutures" I instructed as I began cutting through the flesh above the knee.  "Bone saw" I instructed and it was handed to me.

I cut quickly, but not to quickly, remembering the surgeon I saw cut trough a patient's leg into his own and later dying from infection.  When the bone was cut, I began with the scalpel exposing the artery and tying it off before cutting the remaining tissue into a flap and began stitching it over the exposed bone.  The doctor worked across from me stitching the flap shut, then bandaging the wound tightly.  "Ease up on the tourniquet, until he just starts bleeding again, but no more."  I checked the man's pulse, it was faint and hard to find, but it was there.

The doctor looked him over "By god, I think he'll live-how many times have you done that before?"  "Three" I responded "And if he lives he'll be the first."

I wiped at the blood covering my hands and clothes. "UB, you think you could send someone over to the hotel to get my other clothes, these are gonna need a wash, or burning. If the statement can wait I'll head over to the bath house and get myself cleaned up."  UB nodded "I'll do it myself" 

I pulled off my bloody shirt wiping the remaining blood off with a towel and slung my gunbelt over my shoulder and propped my hat on lightly. "See you shortly."

UB looked at the Doctor. "You really think he will pull through?"  The Doctor looked back and nodded almost imperceptibly in the affirmative.  "His pulse is better already. You know I've seen surgery many a time, that was a performance."  UB squinted, "How do you mean?"  The Doctor took a breath "That man didn't waste a movement,  he knew exactly what was needed."  UB pondered "He was an officer in the War, I guess making decisions is 2nd nature. I just can't figure out why someone who has seen and dealt so much death bothered with this cheater."

The next morning Jack rode into town once more. This time to send a telegram to Captain W. J. (Bill) McDonald of Ranger Company B. “Captain W. McDonald Ranger Co B, San Antonio, Texas (stop) Suspect sighted this location (stop) Pinkerton Agent’s attempt at capture failed (stop) Investigating possible location of same (stop) Please advise if change of plans required (stop) C. J. Calder SGT Texas Ranges, East Fork, Wyoming (stop)” After counting the words the telegrapher said, “That’ll be $2.10 Ranger Calder. Yuh know thet’s a mighty long message for the telegraph, people often try to cut it down to save money.” “That’s alright I’ll leave it as is. I don’t want any misunderstandings to occur that might effect the decisions made at headquarters,” replied Jack. “If there is a reply in the next couple of hours I’ll be over at the cafe having breakfast or at the Marshall’s office. After that you’ll have to send a boy out to Doc Ward’s spread.” “No problem,” replied the telegrapher. “My son runs messages and he knows the way to the Ward’s place.” With a casual touch to his hat Jack stepped out of the office and headed for the cafe. He was looking forward to a little conversation with the young waitress as well as a late breakfast.

Seating himself in the far corner of the cafe, with his back to the wall, Jack smiled at the pretty waitress and asked, “What’s the breakfast special today Miss.” Smiling back she replied, “The usual, eggs, bacon, potatoes, sour dough biscuits with fresh butter and honey and of course lots of coffee. I appreciate you addressing me as a Miss but my husband is the cook.  We own this establishment and he might object to your calling me Miss.” Smiling even more than before Jack said, “Your husband is a very lucky man to have such a pleasant lady as his wife. I believe I’ll have that special thank you.” As he ate his meal Jack spied Kit Garth walking in. “Kit,” he hailed. “What are you doing way up here in Wyoming? Come join me and I’ll buy you a breakfast while we talk.” Kit took a seat and asked, “What is a Texas Ranger doing in Wyoming, or did you finally get kicked out?” “No, they won’t let me off that easy,” replied Jack. “I’m here looking for a man wanted back in San Anton. In fact I’ll ask, maybe you’ve seen him. He’s a rough looking character with a missing left eyebrow. He has a ugly scar where the eyebrow used to be. He is known as Lefty Frezzel in Texas, I’m not sure what name he may be using here.” “I have not seen anyone like that but I’ll keep my eyes open,” said Kit. “Where are you staying in case I need to get in contact?” “I’m working as a hand out at the Ward ranch. That way I can have an excuse to ride the territory without raising suspicion,” stated Jack.

I young boy of 10 approached their table and asked “Are one of you Ranger Calder?” “Some undercover identity,” snickered Kit. “Even the kids know who you are.” “I’m Calder son,” replied Jack. “Do you have a telegram for me?” “Yes sir Ranger, here it is!” “Thanks son here’s a dime for your trouble,” said Jack. Opening the Yellow sheet he read. “Range C. J. Calder, East Fork, Wyoming (stop) Message received (stop) Proceed as planned (stop) Report developments as needed (stop) W. J. McDonald, Captain, San Antonio, Texas (stop)”

“Looks like I’ll be here for a little while longer,” mused Jack.  Then, “Kit how about I meet you over at the saloon about an hour after sunset? That will give me enough time to cleanup and return from the ranch. I’ll buy you a beer and we can catch up.” “That will be fine,” replied Kit as they stood to leave the cafe, each men left a tip for the pretty waitress. Once on the street Jack mounted up and headed out of town. Kit wandered down the boardwalk towards the hotel. Each man in deep thought wondering, ‘Just exactly what the other was up to? Not that they expected the other to be up to no good, just curious mind you, just curious.’

The two Rangers were glad they were able to reminisce about past events, even though their meeting occurred at the oddest of times. Kit had inquired of Jack who these other fellows were that he was associating with. Turns out the tall one that handled the three men who accosted the redhead, was Ben Ward, who goes by the nickname Doc, and is a landowner for whom Jack is working for as a cover while hunting this Lefty character. The one who rides the mule is his best friend, Linn Keller. Keller's land borders Doc's ranch. The last gentleman in the pearl grey hat is an old friend of Keller, a former CSA Army Captain goes by Burcher. Kit had told Jack he would have to get some formal introductions later. They soon went their separate ways for now, vowing to stay in touch more often. As Kit left the diner heading to the hotel, he couldn't stop thinking about this Lefty Frezzel character that both Caulder and the Pinkertons were chasing. Could there be some connection with this man and the man he is after himself, Frank J. Milt? Shaking his head, his mind turned to more pleasant thoughts..... Venus!

After J. Mark Flint came back to the saloon, along with Utah Bob, Doc bought a round. "So, J. Mark, where have you been? Glad to see you in town, but I admit I'm a bit surprised." J. Mark shrugged, and said simply, "Here and there. Probably where I'll be heading again shortly." Doc nodded, knowing that was likely all the answer he and the others would get from their mysterious friend. Flint added, "I hear there may be a bit of trouble brewing, so I might decide to stick around for a short time." With half grin he went on, "Here can be as good as there when it comes to trouble. At least here I'm in the company of friends." With that he lifted his glass, and those at the table followed suit. After catching him up for a bit on the goings on, Doc excused himself, saying he needed to check on his wife, then head back to the ranch and check on stock.

Calamity Kris and Abigail agreed that Kris would get herself cleaned up, then stop by the diner and bring the two breakfast. Afterward, Abigail would ride home, stopping to check on the Hendersons as she did, then clean up and get a change of clothes and come back. That way, there would be one person at the shop at all times. Doc had borrowed a horse and rode on, leaving her the wagon.

Stopping at the Henderson campsite, Abigail was pleased to see the couple doing well. Mr. Henderson was up and about a bit, although he was very limited in what he could do with his ribs wrapped. He was proud of his son, and he and his wife were thankful that so many complete strangers had jumped in to help. "All of you were heaven sent," he told Abigail. Her response was to blush and nod her thanks, having much the same religious views as her husband. "I'm simply glad we were here in your time of need. You continue to let Captain Burcher and his men help out for as long as they can, and we should be able to move you to town shortly. There's a hotel there you can stay at until you recuperate. I would invite you to our place, but you would have to stay in the bunkhouse, and I worry there is trouble coming." The Henderson's both objected, with Maury saying "We could never afford that..." Before she could continue, Abigail shushed her, saying "Don't you worry about that, I have a feeling the community will come together. We always have." Mr. Henderson lowered his head, saying simply "I'm humbled, Ma'am."

Upon returning to Calamity Kris's store, Abigail put her small carpetbag under the cot and sat about helping Kris with some of her work. She was nowhere near the seamstress Kris was, but she helped where she could, and it helped both pass the time. Abigail had gone into the back room and had just sat down on the cot when she heard the bell over the door ring as the door opened. Standing, she heard Kris say, "Hello Mrs. Cushman, how are you today?," followed by Mrs. Cushman's nasal, slightly high pitched response, "I'm well, thank you. I see that Mrs. Ward has not yet picked up that emerald dress. I've heard she isn't likely going to be able to afford it. I'd like to purchase it still, if you please..." Her dialect, a faux society one, was on full display as she continued, a magnanimous tone to her voice, "My dear, I wouldn't want you to suffer economic loss because of her."

Calamity Kris was angered and amused at the same time at the audacity of Mrs. Cushman, and was about to speak when Abigail stepped out of the back, drawing Mrs. Cushman's attention, and causing her face to go pale, then her cheeks to redden as she looked at Abigail. Whereas Mrs. Cushman was somewhat rotund, but with a still severe face. Regardless of how well her clothes were made, or how expensive, they looked frumpish on her. Her daughter, while attractive, was clearly following in her mother and father's steps, and was somewhat caustic and entitled in her demeanor, and dismissive toward others. Abigail, by comparison, was refined and even demure. She was raised to be a lady, and was college educated, something Mrs. Cushman envied. She was thoughtful and helpful to others, regardless of their station in life, something she had learned from her parents. She did not suffer fools though, and had scant patience for those who were demeaning to others. Her attitude made her dear friends with Kris, and earned Mrs. Cushman her animosity.

"Why hello, Mrs. Cushman, a good day to you," Abby said through her smile. Addressing the woman as though she were a wayward child, Abby continued, "Whoever told you I'm unable to pay for my dresses? This is not the only one Kris is making for me, and rest assured, I wouldn't expect her to go through the trouble if I were incapable of paying in full. I'm afraid, my dear, you've been misinformed. You need only ask your husband, or perhaps Seamus and Kay at the mercantile, my husband and I take it as a matter of honor to pay those we owe. In fact, I've already paid half, and have the remainder with me to pay today, as she should be finishing them."

Mrs. Cushman blanched again, and attempted to straighten her spine, thinking herself somewhat regal in her appearance instead of simply stuffy, "Well... Mrs. Ward, that is good news, and I am sure Kris is relieved to know..." Before she could continue, Kris interjected, "Thank you for your concern, Mrs. Cushman, but I never had any doubts that needed to be relieved. Is there something else I can help you with?" Mrs. Cushman remained silent for a moment, then replied, "Since you are busy, I think not, thank you. I do wish to have you alter one of my dresses, along with the one you made for my daughter, it seems you made it a bit too tight. We do have an event coming up, as you know."

Looking at Abigail, she shook her head, "A pity you don't have someplace to wear that beautiful dress other than that dreary ranch house." Abigail couldn't help but roll her eyes, and Kris could tell her temper was starting to rise, but her reply left Mrs. Cushman envious, "Fret not, Ben and I have been contemplating a trip later in the summer, to Ohio where we graduated from college, and perhaps on to Philadelphia or Washington, to where we both have friends. I'm sure there will be ample opportunities to wear the dresses there." Mrs. Cushman's expression left no doubt of her envy and anger, and she paused only long enough to nod and say, "I have business to attend. I hope you both have a good afternoon." She then turned and all but stomped from the store, slamming the door behind her. As the door slammed, Kris and Abigail collapsed into laughter.

After sharing a couple of beers with Kit, Jack headed back to the Ward’s ranch hoping for a restful night in a bed. Along the way he spotted some of Doc’s cattle wandering close to the property border. ‘Now why would those steers wander so far from the good pasture to this scrub.’ He wondered. Beginning. To push them back towards the main pasture, Jack noticed several tracks of shod horses. Striking a sulfur match he examined the tracks. Among the them was one he’d seen before. A deep gauge in the shoe left a distinctive impression. ‘Frezzel,’ he thought. It’s a good thing I didn’t jump the gun and leave for home. Thanks to Linn’s council I’m still here and so is Lefty Frezzel. I’ll get my man yet, I HOPE!

As Jack was pushing the cattle along Doc rode up from town. “Hello Jack, what are my cattle doing this far from the main pasture?” He asked. Jack replied, “As I was returning from town I spotted them bunched up in that scrub near the turn off. I looked around and found some tracks that indicated they’d been herded there. I don’t rightly know if my approach scared of the rustlers off or if they just moved them that far and left them. It’s strange, not the direction I’d move cattle to go unobserved, if I was rustling them. Who’d be stupid enough to try and rustle cattle right past occupied territory? They’d pass right by Keller’s spread and not likely go unnoticed.” Doc mused, “Perhaps they didn’t mean to go unnoticed. Two possibilities come to mind. Draw Linn out and ambush him, they’ve already tried that once. Or, move them onto his spread and then accuse him of attempting to steal my cattle. Even if he isn’t convicted, locking him up for a while would neutralize his effectiveness. The Hammond crowd have tried to eliminate both Linn and I, two or three times recently. The old man has been careful to remain distant from those attempts to avoid arrest, but he most certainly is the puppeteer pulling the strings.”

Jack nodded and said, “I examined those tracks carefully. One set I’ve seen before. They belong to the horse Frezzel rides. That in itself is strange. The mark is so distinctive it can’t be a coincidence. Yet any normal man would have had his horses shoes changed by now. Frezzel is not stupid or careless and as cold as they come. He’d have no love for a horse, it’s just something to ride and he certainly would have realized the shoe was marked. That says he is keeping the shoe on purpose. Maybe trying to draw his pursuers out. He does not know me, we’ve never crossed paths. So he may have heard there’s a Ranger in the area, but not be able to identify me. There’s also Kit Garth, he’s a Ranger from another district. We met this evening to talk, but Kit didn’t tell me why he’s here.”

By this time Doc and Jack had the cattle back on the pasture and they let them spread out to graze. “Jack, you have a good nights rest.” Said Doc. “I’m heading to the house to sleep. Abby is spending a couple of nights at Miss Kris’s dress shop to have some women time with her. Tomorrow maybe we can track where those men went after they dropped my cattle in the scrub.” “Okay Boss.” Replied Jack. “I’ll be up at first light to ready the horses. Can you cook as good as Miss Abby?” “Not hardly Jack, but it won’t kill you, at least I haven’t died from my own cooking yet.” Grinned Doc. “Goodnight” “Night Boss.”

Archived