SASS Wire Forum

Second attempt

Whiskey Hicks

What type of paper?

Thinking out loud for a minute…

The real purpose of paper cartridges for cap and ball guns is to ease the reloading process when time is an issue. Whether in Civil War combat or between stages at a cowboy shoot, I understand why somebody would want such a tool.

it also seems like the weak link in what you just created is the point where the ball is glued to the paper packet. That glue joint just looks like it would be the place where paper would tear, powder would spill, and all advantage is lost.

What if you assembled the pre-measured charges of powder and wrapped them in the cigarette paper, but did not glue on the ball?  Less chance of paper being torn. And when reloading at the cowboy match you just drop in a paper charge, get a round ball from your pouch, and ram it home with whatever wad or lube you use. 

I am only a cartridge gun shooter along with muzzleloaders, so don’t speak from any real experience. Just an engineer and a shooter who’s been around the sun a few times and trying to help things go better for you. Take my advice for what you paid for it.  :-)

5 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Thinking out loud for a minute…

The real purpose of paper cartridges for cap and ball guns is to ease the reloading process when time is an issue. Whether in Civil War combat or between stages at a cowboy shoot, I understand why somebody would want such a tool.

it also seems like the weak link in what you just created is the point where the ball is glued to the paper packet. That glue joint just looks like it would be the place where paper would tear, powder would spill, and all advantage is lost.

What if you assembled the pre-measured charges of powder and wrapped them in the cigarette paper, but did not glue on the ball?  Less chance of paper being torn. And when reloading at the cowboy match you just drop in a paper charge, get a round ball from your pouch, and ram it home with whatever wad or lube you use. 

I am only a cartridge gun shooter along with muzzleloaders, so don’t speak from any real experience. Just an engineer and a shooter who’s been around the sun a few times and trying to help things go better for you. Take my advice for what you paid for it.  :-)

I’ll definitely make notes when I try to use it. The guy from Shaman’s Forge uses these for hunting.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Or glue the ball on then over-wrap it with another paper to secure it.

Cigarette papers are too expensive.

I use very thin tissue/tracing paper....or that “newsprint“-like drawing paper.  These come from the art supplies section in various stores.

For glue, I use egg white, stirred up with a fork, applied with a tiny paintbrush.

Cat Brules

22 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cigarette papers are too expensive.

I use very thin tissue/tracing paper....or that “newsprint“-like drawing paper.  These come from the art supplies section in various stores.

For glue, I use egg white, stirred up with a fork, applied with a tiny paintbrush.

Cat Brules

Add a couple bacon bits and I bet you could gain an advantage with your fellow shooters thinking about breakfast instead of the job at hand!:D

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Add a couple bacon bits and I bet you could gain an advantage with your fellow shooters thinking about breakfast instead of the job at hand!:D

Great idea!!  Distract competition with the scent of BACON!!  :ph34r:   :lol:

CB

Archived