SASS Wire Forum

HR5289 - Hm Def and Comp Shoot Act of 2019

Patagonia Pete

Well ... I apologize in advance if this has already been posted ... but ... it was such shock for me I just had to pass it on ... somewhere. :mellow:

In case you didn't see this ... 

H.R.5289 - Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act of 2019

Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act of 2019

This bill removes short-barreled rifles (barrels of less than 16 inches in length) from the definition of firearms for purposes of the National Firearms Act. It also eliminates the prohibition on the transportation of such rifles in interstate commerce and treats persons who acquire or possess a short-barreled rifle as meeting the registration or licensing requirements for such rifle where such requirements are determined by reference to the National Firearms Act.

The bill preempts state or local laws that impose a tax or recordkeeping requirements on short-barreled rifles.

The Department of Justice must destroy records relating to the registration of  certain rifles within one year after the enactment of this bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5289?r=2&s=1

If they add silencers to this thing ... I will have to call 911 for an ambulance ... s10.gif.a687f03f324a90929805bc83289d028e.gif

Well ... it changes IRS code ... (who would have known??) ... and has 24 Republican co-sponsors (a list which is interesting in itself) ... 

Election years aren't all bad ...

co-sponsor link ...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5289/cosponsors?r=2&s=1&searchResultViewType=expanded

edit: Well .. it was exciting anyhow ... guess we will just keep paying the $200 ... no biggie ... sniff ... 

The imediate future of stuff like this depends on the election in November. The longer term future of this depends on the future of the Supreme Court...

Sadly it will almost certainly die in committee, the current Democratic leadership in the House will never allow this bill to reach a House vote unless they attach some horrific, unacceptable amendment to this bill

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

Sadly it will almost certainly die in committee, the current Democratic leadership in the House will never allow this bill to reach a House vote unless they attach some horrific, unacceptable amendment to this bill

Exactly.   This is a dead bill.

Archived