SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger doesn't break open after firing

Tex Wilson

Need some help with a problem regarding my Stoeger Supreme SxS.  After I shoot the gun and move the lever to break it open so I can load my next 2 rounds I have to smack the barrels with my hand to get the darn barrels to break open so I can load it. I have had some work done to the gun, polished the chambers and barrels, and the forcing cones and smoothed out all the rough areas on the gun. It breaks open easily to load my first 2 round but after firing it it will not be break open till I smack it with my hand. I only shoot Winchester AA featherlight loads. What needs to be done so it will break open with just the lever. 

Check to see if the firing pin tips have mushroomed and don't retract well.   Several vendors have hardened firing pins for Stoegers, as this is a common problem.  Long Hunter Supply for one has them, in stock apparently.

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_95&product_id=237

Good luck, GJ

+1 on the firing pins.  We have 3 of those shotguns and I've had to replace the firing pins in all 3 with SS pins.

The gun is fairly new, I've only put about 60 rounds through it. I checked the firing pins, they don't look mushroomed to me.  I'll order some stainless steel ones anyway.

Look at the primers of fired hulls.   If they have drag marks, the firing pins are sticking into the primer as the action opens.  Can be several causes, but mushrooms are the common cause.   Factory MIGHT have put in too long a set of pins, but I doubt it.    Pin retraction might be faulty (dirty channels?).    Johnny Meadows would be able to spot the problem lickety split.

I live about 200 miles North of Johnny Meadows, don't want to drive down to Tucson, (it's hot down in the desert) but that is an option I will keep open.

Break it open after firing, In order to cock the hammers, then close it with the hulls still in the chambers. Then open it a second time.  If it opens easily the second time, then probably the firing pins (which are now retracted) are the problem.  If it opens with difficulty with the pins retracted, the problem is elsewhere.

When you have to open the shotgun by hitting with your hand, remove the hulls and then look closely at the firing pin retaining nuts.

If they have backed out even a little bit, the nut will be holding the hulls tight to the chamber making opening difficult.

If you do not have the span wrench to tighten the nuts, find 2 nails that just fit in the nut wrench holes.

Cut the points off the nails then put them in the holes.

Using a screw driver or other tool, put between the nails and tighten the nuts.

Pete, it has always opened hard, (after firing) both before and after polishing. I knew Stoegers needed some polishing and cleaning up to make them work and that was done before shooting it in a match.

12 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Pete, it has always opened hard, (after firing) both before and after polishing. I knew Stoegers needed some polishing and cleaning up to make them work and that was done before shooting it in a match.

Darn ... I see  you shot in June and there were a boatload of people up there. You can always ask (if you haven't) and let them say/announce something during the pre-match meeting ... that is a great bunch of people up there. (if you have already done that then just ignore me ...)

If you got a few of those folks on it (pre-match) ... IMHO ... it wouldn't take them very long to nail it down for you (try different ammo ... look at the primers/chambers etc). If they are still doing Thursday morning breakfast up there w/ all this COVID going on ... that is another opportunity.

Let them help you ...   

Getting together with all my pards in the Whiskey Row Gunslingers for breakfast tomorrow morning. I guarantee it will be a topic for discussion. ;) 

When checking firing pins for mushrooming, you should check the end of the firing pin that is hit by the hammer.  The end that strikes the primer is not where the mushrooming occurs.  I thought it was until someone told me differently.  Also, the mushrooming is very slight, not readily apparent.

Might try a box of Remington STS. Yes, they kick more than Featherlights. But try them anyway, primers are not near so prone to grabbing firing pins.

If you can, get a small pinpoint flashlight or your phone flashlight and shine it at the break point of the receiver with the firing pins in the fired position w/o shells in them. Very slowly open it and look in the crack to see how soon the pins retract. They should be retracting as soon as you start opening the gun, if not may have an issue with the springs or the lugs that open it ie might need to add to them to get pins to retract sooner.

12 hours ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

When checking firing pins for mushrooming, you should check the end of the firing pin that is hit by the hammer.  The end that strikes the primer is not where the mushrooming occurs.  I thought it was until someone told me differently.  Also, the mushrooming is very slight, not readily apparent.

Hadn't heard that. I always check the out end when cleaning. Fortunately mine has run fine for 9 years now with the original pins, knock on wood. Only had trouble opening when I tried some Pards Winchester cheapos with steel bases. He was having issues in his Stoeger. My reloads with AA hulls or STS hulls worked fine in his gun. Determined it was the Win cheapos causing his issue.

29 minutes ago, Doc X said:

Is the auto safety still functional? My Stoeger was a real bear to open until it was made into a manually activated safety.

Doc X, the auto safety has been deactivated and is a manually activated safety. That was the very first thing done when the gun would not open. Thought that might be the problem.

I have ordered some stainless steel firing pins from Long Hunters and they are on the way. It doesn't look like the firing pins are hanging up on the fired hulls.

See if Saber River is still in business.  He was at Winter Range for many years.

Saber River Gunsmithing

Gunsmiths
750 S Saber River Trl, Prescott, AZ 86305

19 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I live about 200 miles North of Johnny Meadows, don't want to drive down to Tucson, (it's hot down in the desert) but that is an option I will keep open.

Well looks like Larsen already posted Saber River Gunsmith there in Prescott.

JRJ

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the update on my Stoeger that would not break open after being fired. On the advice of some of my pards from the Whiskey Row Gunslingers, I took it to LRK Mechanical in Prescott. Phil, one of the gunsmiths there gave his personal attention to my SxS. I ordered the stainless steel firing pins from Longhunt and Phil put them in and then got into the internals to work on the triggers, springs, and various other parts in the shotgun. He said the gun was a mess inside, he couldn't believe the poor quality control from a new Stoeger Supreme. In short he did what he called a complete action job on it. I shot it for the first time today at our monthly match and it opened like it was supposed to and the shells shucked out clean. The first 6 rounds I shot were Remington STS given to me by Turquois Bill  to try and then I finished up with Winchester AA's. Both the STS and AA's shucked out cleanly, but I noticed that the Remingtons came out a little better than the Winchesters. I've decided to shoot the STS shells from now on. I just got to sell my 11 boxes of AA's first. Won't be a problem as lots of our club members shoot the AA's. At least I finally have a dependable SxS to shoot with.

Good deal, glad your gun is running now. 

Many many cowboy guns are just a parts kit waiting to be fitted.   Brazilian, Chinese, Italian, Turkish, even sometimes a Japanese or American piece.   Not an unusual story with a Stoeger made in the last 10 years.  One of several reasons you never see me recommend a Stoeger.

STS often shuck a little better than the current Win AAs.  That is also normal with the lack of QC on part of Winchester today.  And, yes, I shoot only STS/Nitros, too.

Good luck, GJ

Archived