SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of Gun Carts

Smoky Pistols

Since someone brought up guncarts, I need a little assistance from some of you fellars that are a bit smarter than me.  How in the heck do you get these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0N8WCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

into the dang tires on your carts.  I've only attempted one so far and I can only get it within three inches of going back on the rim.  The yellow beast just won't compress enough to get the tire back on!  I've pulled on the tire bead with irons so hard, I'm afraid its gonna rip!

There's gotta be a trick to this--anybody know what it is????

Edit:  Just saw the note to put it in boiled water first if it didn't fit.  May try laying one out in the Las Vegas sun on Friday and see if it gets easier that way!

5 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Sounds to me like you may have accidentally bought the wrong size to go on your rim.

I checked that--Marked exactly the same size on both.

They’re the right ones. I use the bicycle paddle tools about six of them and a spray bottle with 25% Dawn dish soap and 75% water in a spray bottle. You’ll be surprised how easy it is with a little lube. The key is to keep one entire side of the tire in the rim and fit the yellow foam tube into the tire and then apply the spray and use the paddles to lever the tire and foam tube on. After you’ve done 50-60 of them it gets pretty easy.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

They’re the right ones. I use the bicycle paddle tools about six of them and a spray bottle with 25% Dawn dish soap and 75% water in a spray bottle. You’ll be surprised how easy it is with a little lube. The key is to keep one entire side of the tire in the rim and fit the yellow foam tube into the tire and then apply the spray and use the paddles to lever the tire and foam tube on. After you’ve done 50-60 of them it gets pretty easy.

LOL--I swear, if I can just get the three I have done, I'll never do them again.  Thanks for the tip Yul.  You may wanna start thinking up a price on what you'd charge me to do them if I shipped them to you!

When I did mine; I found a tip somewhere, maybe the MFG. to over inflate the tire a bit and leave in the sun some to soften the tire. As Yul said, don't take more than one side of the tire off the rim. Don't go crazy with the over inflation, just a few pounds or the boom will scare the hell out of you. They will fit!!

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:30 PM, Yul Lose said:

Huge thank you going out to Yul Lose!  I got pretty liberal with the soapy water and they went on like I'd been doing it my whole life.  Think I may have broken the bead cord on the first one with all of the previous pulling I did, but even it is sitting on the rim pretty good (with a little dimple on the side).  I may have to replace it, but for now all three wheels are together--less than a half hour total!  Thanks again!--Sp

57 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Huge thank you going out to Yul Lose!  I got pretty liberal with the soapy water and they went on like I'd been doing it my whole life.  Think I may have broken the bead cord on the first one with all of the previous pulling I did, but even it is sitting on the rim pretty good (with a little dimple on the side).  I may have to replace it, but for now all three wheels are together--less than a half hour total!  Thanks again!--Sp

Breaking the bead cord probably won’t matter much, I’ve done that a few times and the tires are still doing the job. The lube does make it much easier.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

Breaking the bead cord probably won’t matter much, I’ve done that a few times and the tires are still doing the job. The lube does make it much easier.

Boy, and howdy, does it ever!

Archived