SASS Wire Forum

.44 cal, .451 lead balls from Hornady

Whiskey Hicks

Alright pards, I need some product experience from you guys. Do Hornady lead balls typically come prelubed? I sent an email to Hornady, but I don’t always have great luck with corporate responses.

Blackie Thomas’ video on making paper cartridges is using a prelubed ball so I’m trying to anally stick as close to his formula as possible. Maybe I don’t even have to have them lubed? If they’re not lubed but need to be, could I soak them in Balistol or Bore Butter?

The last batch of Hornady balls I used came naked. But that was fine as they were for muzzleloading. 

If you want to rub butter or lube on your balls, that would be okay too. Soaking works fine as well. 

(Anyone else remembering BJD’s “Why I Don’t Shoot Black Powder”?)

NO

If he was using a conical it might have a lube groove but round balls have no way to hold lube. No oil or grease is going to soak into lead. Putting llube on them is just going to make things messier. 

Keep in mind that not every youtube video should be used as a how to. Manyn are better examples of how not to.

Buy your round balls from Whyte Leather Works. He is a SASS shooter and a good pard to do business with.

Not sure what he’s talking about, but I doubt glue will stick very good to a lubed lead ball(or anything else for that matter).

Paper cartridges are a pain in the butt, in my opinion; seems like I bust open every 3rd one and have to with a measure anyway.

If you haven’t already bought them  here’s a great source for round balls:

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

Good Luck.

It doesnt matter what you put on your balls you still need lube in the cylinder to keep the balls moving smoothly down the tube (is that enough inuendo for the childish ones out there:rolleyes:)

You can use a lubed wad, whatever concoction you like on top of the ball or Wonder Seals (I use them as a lube not to seal the chamber) but you need something, even if its a spray of ballistol after a stage.

For SASS I just use wads on top of the BP then a ball, I give the cylinder and throat a wipe between stages and a rod and rag thru probably every couple of stages. For target shooting I use BP, polenta, ball, Wonder seal. I push thru the barrel (baby wipes) after each cylinder shot.

Archived