SASS Wire Forum

Colt New Frontier

One of the few things I don't have in my collection is a Colt New Frontier revolver.  [Or a clone thereof]  I'd like to get the opinions of people who have one, as well as ask a few questions.   It is my understanding that the most common caliber for these things was actually .44 Special.   That's fine by me, but does not really matter all that much.  I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is so.   

What is it like shooting those really weird looking big sights?

What should I expect it to cost compared to a similar vintage/condition standard SAA?

How common are they in reality?   Since getting into CAS, I've actually only seen one at a local gun shop.  This was when I was fairly new to the game, and I passed on it at the time as I was still trying to obtain more ordinary guns.

And of course, for those who have and shoot one, your overall opinions are welcome.   Once I get one of these, the only thing left for me to get would be a Bisley model, but I don't know if I will.   I did get a chance to handle one once [Thanks, Driftwood] a few years ago, and I didn't really care for the feel of the grips.

There are normally at least a couple listed on www.gunbroker.com all the time.  I just looked at gunbroker and there are many listed.  They normally don't bring as much as a regular Colt SAA.

Brian Pierce writes many articles for the Handloader mag and others.  He has stated many times that the Colt New Frontier in .44 Spec is one of his favorites for whitetail, mule deer and coyotes.  I have handled and shot two, both in .44.  Under-rated would be my word.  

As Mongo said they go for a little less than the standard SAA, but they’re just as good. I got my eyes out for one.

Howdy HK, how are you doing?

I picked up this 2nd Gen New Frontier last year. It left the factory in 1965. The grips are pretty worn, and they do not fit all that great, so I suspect they are not original.

pn7Wh3Q0j

pldGb498j

Not a whole lot of colors left on the Case Hardening. As you can see, this one is chambered for 45 Colt.

pnfrCCi1j

pnm1ekOXj

I went to Kuhnhuasen to find out what were the most popular cartridges it was chambered for, although he lists that information for the SAA he does not list it for the New Frontier.

I found this information regarding the cartridges it was chambered for on a website, but I do not know if it is accurate:

"From 1961 through 1974 approximately 4,000 New Frontier revolvers were produced, the majority chambered in .357 Magnum, followed closely by .45 Colt. Less than 300 were chambered for .44 Special, and 49 were in .38 Special."

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2012/2/21/colt-new-frontier-review/

Here is an interesting photo. The New Frontier is at the top, my 1975 vintage Ruger Blackhawk is at the bottom. Notice how the front sight of the Colt is set about 1/4" back from the muzzle. Notice too how the rear sight of the Colt is completely above the frame, without the protective 'ears' of the Ruger sight. Pretty much a 'flat top' configuration.

pnJagSaXj

Here is the rear sight of the Colt.

poGNvj4Kj

Here is the rear sight of the Ruger. Sorry, I have had this revolver for 45 years and it is a little bit the worse for wear.

po6Qz2e2j

To tell you the truth I have not shot the New Frontier a whole lot, I don't keep much smokeless 45 Colt ammo around anymore, and I didn't feel like shooting it with Black Powder.

But it shoots very similarly to the Ruger.

Yup, New Frontiers are not in as much demand as a regular SAA. I paid $900 for this one.  A 2nd Gen SAA in similar condition would probably have cost considerably more.

I have using a pair for Colt New Frontiers in 44spl with 5.5 in barrels for about 15 years as my main match guns. It took me about 2 years to find 2 of them in 5.5 inch barrels. You will see a lot of the 7.5 barrels and some 4.75 barrels, but not many 5.5 barrels. I have seen them in 357m and i know of 1 shooter that used a pair of them years ago other than than me. I shoot 44 Russians with 165gr bullet and 3 grains of Trail Boss. This load has almost zero recoil and meets SASS power factor. I have a custom made set of holsters for them that accommodated the bigger sights. I have found that I shoot better with them than almost everything else and i can pickup the sights faster than I can with my regular Colts. When bought them years ago, I got a new in the box unfired for $1000 and a fired one for $950. They feel like a regular Colt and balance better than a Ruger for me and weigh less than a Ruger BlackHawk.I wil try to post pictures later as I am in the middle of cleaning them and have them taken apart right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/866324352.

This is a 357 on Gunbroker but does not have barrel length and generation. There were both 2nd and 3rd gen guns, mine are both 3rd

gen.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874371103

Here is one like mine and I have the boxes.

Because of the sights the Colt New Frontier is a joy to shoot.  They are easier to see and pick up and they line up beautifully.  For carrying in the field (as opposed to CAS) I prefer the New Frontier because of the sights.

8 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

This is a 357 on Gunbroker but does not have barrel length and generation. There were both 2nd and 3rd gen guns, mine are both 3rd

gen.

Interesting. In the text it says it was owned by one of the top 5 Cowboy shooters in Texas. Wonder who that might be? It is listed by Tomball Pawn. Tomball is close to Houston. Hmmmm

13 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy HK, how are you doing?

Not so bad overall.   Continuing to recover from the surgery.   Thanks much for asking, and thanks much more of the pics of your NF.   As always you came up with some good information.   Was surprised to learn that .357 was the most common caliber, not because I thought it was something else, just, because it surprised me.   There is a NF that shows up on Gunbroker every so often in .44 Magnum, says it's a prototype and they seller wants way more money than I can can afford.   But it looks like other calibers are very obtainable.    Assuming your information about numbers is correct, I wish I had bought that one I'd seen a few years ago, it was a .44 Special and not very expensive.  If I recall correctly they wanted 800 bucks for it at a time when normal SAA's were selling for about a thousand on the used market.  Not that I am "enamored" with the .44, but I do have more .45's than I know what to do with.  Still, I'd personally rather have a big than small bore pistol, so we'll see what happens when I finally get one.   

Thanks also to Sagebrush and Maddog for the comments on actually using them.   This is helpful information.

As I said, that is the only place I came up with numbers on the different calibers produced. I have not found any verification of his numbers. Did not look all that hard either.

In my limited experience with Cowboy Action Shooting,  I've seen a good many Colt SAAs used, but never a New Frontier.  I've seen a small number of adjustable sight Rugers so they are adjustable sight guns being used. 

One of these days, after there is a vaccine, I would like to show up at a match with my Blackhawk and New Frontier, and shoot Smokeless with them.

According to my sources...take it as "gospel", or not....your call. 

Second generation Colt New Frontiers, began production in 1961...starting with serial number 3000NF.... from 1961 to 1974

Produced in barrel lengths: 4 3/4; 5 1/2; 7 1/2

4,107 were produced, in calibers: .38 special; .357 magnum; .44 special;; and .45 Colt.

.38 special = 49

.44 special = 255

.45 Colt = 1,625

.357 magnum = 2,178

The second run of New Frontiers started up again in 1978, beginning with serial number: 01001NF

The calibers for the second run were: .357 magnum; .44 special; .44-40; and .45 Colt. 

Less than 100 New Frontier Buntlines were produced.

The third generation New Frontiers were produced in calibers; .38-40; .44-40; and 45 Colt.

New Frontiers are not listed on the current Colt website...

That's about all I could dig up, at this time.  I have several books on the Colt single action, so I may can find more information out, later on.

One article did state that the third generation Colts were produced at a time when the tooling, and quality of the Colts, were beginning to go down.

It was suggested that if anyone was looking to purchase a third generation New Frontier, that they inspect it very thoroughly, before purchasing it, and if purchased, to take it to a gunsmith for them to go over, as well. 

I once owned a Colt singe action, third generation, that I purchased in 1979.  Comparing that one to some of my second generation Colts, I could see the quality was not as good...so I was not surprised to read this.  That said, I later purchased a third generation Colt, in 1986, and the quality was much improved.  Obviously, they had replaced the worn-out tooling, by 1986, and the quality control was enhanced for this one.   

W.K.

Archived