SASS Wire Forum

What is this bullet mold?

I found this years ago when cleaning out my great aunt's garage after she passed.  I ran across it again when cleaning out my own garage.

It is a combo mold, giving a round ball and a bullet.  The mold measures about .375 on the ball diameter and at the width of the bullet, so I am guessing this is for a .36 cap and ball revolver.  The bullet seems to have a recessed base, to allow it to fit into the chamber before being rammed.  I can find no markings on the mold.  Any idea when this may be from?  Can a mold in this shape actually be used or is this worth something so that I wouldn't want to mess with it?

IMG-1761.jpg

IMG-1762.jpg

IMG-1758.jpg

EDIT:  after looking at the pictures I just attached, I can see some marking on the top of the sprueplate.  That shows up better in the picture than in real life.  With a magnifying glass, that lettering is still to corroded to be able to read.

4 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Thanks J-Bar.

Was able to find one with similar markings.  Apparently this one is a Manhattan fire arms mold.  Here is a picture of one that has more readable markings.

Manhatten_mold_top--.jpg

A thought... if you are thinking about selling it, don’t polish it.  Collectors value that honest patina.

(That would be a great alias:  “Honest Patina”!!  :lol:)

If you wish to raise the identifying stamp mark(s) a little bit, you can try using an eye dropper, and carefully instill a couple drops of vinegar on the stamp marks.  Don’t overdo it.  a tiny bristle brush or toothpick can be used to remove debris from the stamp marks.  Do it on a towel, and keep water handy to flood the vinegar off after a couple minutes.  This has worked for me in the past.  There are more aggressive, similar methods along tha line to raise the stamp marks, but may not be worth the effort or you may not wish to pursue them.

Cat Brules

I have a pair of that type of mold, one for a .36 Navy and one for a .44 Army. They are for round ball and conical. The conical has a rebated base for constructing combustible cartridges, you glue the mouth of the cartridge to the rebated base.  You can use them for molding bullets but they are not the easiest to use. They heat up very fast so you need to have something to protect your hands.

Archived