SASS Wire Forum

Would you like to have an M16 key ring?

Alpo

I just saw these for sale.

Guy bought a bunch of scrapped M16 lowers. Cut out the markings on the magwell and turns them into key rings.

I thought that was pretty damn stupid, but then I don't like Mr. Stoner's baby.

Curious if anyone else would want something like that, and if so, how much would you be willing to pay?

Because not only do I think it's an idiotic thing, I think his price is insane.

IMG_20200715_010123.jpg

Alpo,

I might be interested in having one of these keychains, but I can’t find any information about them.

Could you give us (or me) the URL to look at the offering and to get information about them? I am only guessing that the keychain maker is buying crushed or otherwise destroyed M-16 lower receivers to get material he needs to manufacture his key rings. Of course it would be distressing to learn that the lower receivers are in usable condition before he “harvests” the stampings from them to make his product.  How much is he selling them for?  That could be the real turn-off.

Thanks,

Cat Brules

There's an archived thread on AR15.com where a guy was making a few not for sale, but guys were offering significant amounts of money to get him to make some.

So, to answer the questions posed, no, I would not buy one for an exorbitant amount of money. I have better things to do with my meager funds. IF someone gave me one as a gift, I would certainly happily carry it. I carried an M-16A1 in Basic, my first unit (unless I had the 1911), and my second unit. It wasn't until I got into the Field Artillery that I got the dreaded A2 and then the M4.

So, I suppose you would consider me an idiot, and I'm OK with that. 

4 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

How much is he selling them for?  That could be the real turn-off.

He's selling a "kit" for $25 plus $5 shipping. Best as I can tell the kit consists of the crushed lower and the two split rings. You then cut the information out and drill the hole.

Already made?

M16 key rings.jpg

Sounds like the same guy Father Kit posted. He said that he had bought a barrel full of crushed lowers. Did not say that he had done this several years ago. It sounded like it was something he did last week. But anyway.

From his ad in the classifieds on the board I saw this

>. Be the only person at the range with a machinegun keychain. Payment is accepted in paypal +5% to cover costs by default. A payment request will be emailed to you. If you choose to pay via Google pay, Venmo, or Zelle at no fees, contact me immediately to arrange that. Shipping is a flat $9 no matter how many you order or $5 for one. Price for one is $25 plus shipping. Price for 3 is $75 shipped. Also included with your order is a blank dogtag so you can trace and make one like the completed one listed.

Don't want to make your own? Other option is to buy a complete one. Considering work and consumable tooling, price for those is $75 each.<

Heck ... w/ all the laws we have .. (great when your local government needs something  discretionary to harass people) ... THIS art/activity has got to be illegal somewhere!! :lol: 

How about this one from Virginia?? ... (first one that popped up w/ searching) ... s10.gif.0fae0836c81a9981600b9a761f61cf8e.gif

§ 18.2-311.1. Removing, altering, etc., serial number or other identification on firearm.

Any person, firm, association or corporation who or which intentionally removes, defaces, alters, changes, destroys or obliterates in any manner or way or who or which causes to be removed, defaced, altered, changed, destroyed or obliterated in any manner or way the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's or serial number, or any other mark or identification on any pistol, shotgun, rifle, machine gun or any other firearm shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-311.1/

45 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Heck ... w/ all the laws we have .. (great when your local government needs something  discretionary to harass people) ... THIS art/activity has got to be illegal somewhere!! :lol: 

How about this one from Virginia?? ... (first one that popped up w/ searching) ... s10.gif.0fae0836c81a9981600b9a761f61cf8e.gif

§ 18.2-311.1. Removing, altering, etc., serial number or other identification on firearm.

Any person, firm, association or corporation who or which intentionally removes, defaces, alters, changes, destroys or obliterates in any manner or way or who or which causes to be removed, defaced, altered, changed, destroyed or obliterated in any manner or way the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's or serial number, or any other mark or identification on any pistol, shotgun, rifle, machine gun or any other firearm shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

I wasn't interested in doing this until I saw that... I must have been a badguy in a past life.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

He purchased a large amount of demilled M16 scrap metal. They are from returned exported rifles because they don't have the Property of US on them. The government demilled them and sold them as scape metal. He is just trying to provide something that people can use from the destroyed lowers. I first saw this posted on the AR15.com forum where he started selling them. Now I see that some of the scape is listed on gunbroker as do it yourself keychain kits. 

5 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Now if the ring was from a grenade I might find it interesting enough to buy.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132326057053?chn=ps

I'm with Pete in questioning the legality. Are they officially no longer firearms somehow?  Cause if not then that little dog tag, being as how it contains the sn, would officially be the firearm. It seems that's where it gets its novelty. So if it's a firearm and the firearm was a machine gun, wouldn't you have to pay for the tax stamp to legally own it?  That thing is getting mighty expensive. 

He needs an atf letter to clear that up. 

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'm with Pete in questioning the legality. Are they officially no longer firearms somehow?  Cause if not then that little dog tag, being as how it contains the sn, would officially be the firearm. It seems that's where it gets its novelty. So if it's a firearm and the firearm was a machine gun, wouldn't you have to pay for the tax stamp to legally own it?  That thing is getting mighty expensive. 

He needs an atf letter to clear that up. 

It is NOT a firearm, it is Scrap metal, sold by the military as such.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'm with Pete in questioning the legality. Are they officially no longer firearms somehow?  Cause if not then that little dog tag, being as how it contains the sn, would officially be the firearm....

Only in California.  :rolleyes:

Plus, it might be considered "unsafe" since it can't micro-stamp a code on fired brass...  ^_^

36 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Only in California.  :rolleyes:

Plus, it might be considered "unsafe" since it can't micro-stamp a code on fired brass...  ^_^

There's probably a waiting period and a registration process for them, too.

Yeah .. the key fob thing itself is proof that the firearm from which it came has been destroyed.

If any of these actually "ever were" an NFA registered firearm ... then you would want to record the fact that it had been destroyed ... simply to protect the registrant from having to deal with charges of unreported loss or unlawful transfer. 

I posted the Virgina law thing because it happened to be the first one that popped up when I did a search ... to examine what it actually said ... AND .. to wonder if it might be possible for anybody (airhead states attrny) to try to apply "that wording" to harass people selling something like this.  

OTOH ... I have no idea what the interest is ... other than as conversation pieces at BBQs etc ...  (and we already have that covered ... we have cowboy guns!!) ... 

Archived