SASS Wire Forum

Questions about tablets

Alpo

I've been thinking about getting a tablet. Do the Chromebooks use Google's operating system, or is it whatever generation of windows that Microsoft his wished upon us?

Do they have USB ports, so you can plug in a thumb drive or a printer?

What kind of money do they go for?

Chromebooks run a version of Android which is a google product. Browser is a version of Google Chrome.

I have an ACER Chromebook that I really like. When I have time later I'll tell you more.

Yes, Chromebooks are essentially Google based and work like Androids. You download Apps, just like a Droid. There are Apps for word processing and a variety of others. They do more things and better than an Android phone. 

I have a Google Chromebook that my wife bought me at Walmart for under $200 on sale at Christmas a couple of years ago. At first I liked it but I rarely use it now. It’s great for surfing the web and accessing your favorite forums and such. I just use my iPhone more and considered an iPad until I priced them. The Chromebook definitely costs a lot less. 

Dave mentioned the Acers. That is definitely something to look into. Very economical and reliable. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Do they come with a USB port?

My Chromebook has two on one side and one on the other.

My Acer R11 has 2 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 SD card slot, and a headset jack.  You do need to create a Gmail account but nothing says you have to use it.

For the SASS wire, and general surfing of the net it is great. Can do basic office functions but needs an internet connection to be of much use with them. Reading the Chronicle and NRA magazines is easy to do.

You can use it like a laptop or like a smart phone with a tough screen.  

For serious research I like my multi-screen desktop better but I can do it here if I need to. 

Unlike windoze you don't need a bunch of anti-virus software. Just do the system updates when notified. the Android OS is based on linux and sandboxes things well.  You install applications just like you would on a phone from the google store. You can set it up to access your email via a dedicated app or access it via a web page.

I researched a lot of tablets before I bought this ACER R11. Have been using it for several years with one one real issue. Sometime it locks up and the only way to recover is to hold down the power switch till it reboots.  As near as I can tell a script running in the background of some web pages hogs all the CPU time if you close it with that page open. Used to do it a lot when I first bought it but now only happens a couple times a year. Have never lost any data when this happens. 

Their keyboard is a touch screen, like on a smartphone, right?

But with a USB port I could plug in my keyboard. Right?

Does it have a Wi-Fi antenna? So I could turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone and access the internet on the tablet? Or would I need to set up an account with an internet provider?

6 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I just bought a new tablet myself.  It doesn't have a USB port.

big chief.PNG

You need to make your own with an Xacto knife. ;)

Archived