SASS Wire Forum

Really nice Win 62A coming up on auction

Mustang Gregg

I am doing the FFL duties for a friend who's selling out his household, furnishing, guns, etc.

He has a sweet Winchester 62A gallery rifle (mfd in '57) that looks almost new.

I'm pondering bidding on it for a sidematch rifle for the grandkids.

I haven't had one in the gun shop for 7+ years.

And I haven't seen any final bids on the e-auction site on one.

Local auctioned guns have been going for upper end prices.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what it should sell for?

Thanks, PWB.  

The small amount of M-62 price info that I'm finding on the interweb really are all over the place.

This auction arms will probably have premium prices.  It was pretty widely advertised.

I'd be money ahead to find an imported gallery pump gun for the 'kids. ^_^

MG

9 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I'd be money ahead to find an imported gallery pump gun for the 'kids. ^_^

MG

This! No reason to turn kids lose with a rare and expensive example when a Rossi, Taurus or Henry pump will work just as well. 

34 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

This! No reason to turn kids lose with a rare and expensive example when a Rossi, Taurus or Henry pump will work just as well. 

One can get a nice operational 62 for a decent price.

The value of the Winchester over time will increase faster than an import and certainly faster than a new Henry since you'd have to absorb the initial depreciation.

Go Winchester!

Phantom

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

One can get a nice operational 62 for a decent price.

The value of the Winchester over time will increase faster than an import and certainly faster than a new Henry since you'd have to absorb the initial depreciation.

Go Winchester!

Phantom

Can't fault your logic. But if this is a really as an nice example as the OP  stated, there is no way that shooting it will increase it's value, especially if handed to youngsters! I still maintain that economically it would be better to get the kids something cheaper. By all means if the Winchester is as nice as he says then I wouldn't mind having it myself.

That Win 62 is like beachfront property:  they don't make it no more.

The sky is the limit for collectable items.
Judy Garlands clothing items from The Wizard of Oz, sold for millions.

Selling a "collectable" requires two things:  

1)  A collectable item

2) A collector who wants it.

Do you want to  purchase an investment that may pay off in the future, or a tool to use now?

Duffield

16 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Selling a "collectable" requires two things:  

1)  A collectable item

2) A collector who wants it.

Do you want to  purchase an investment that may pay off in the future, or a tool to use now?

Duffield

Some collect not so much for investment purposes, but for the sake of collecting... For some is us it's not about the money.

Phantom

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Some collect not so much for investment purposes, but for the sake of collecting... For some is us it's not about the money.

Phantom

This is quite true.

I have a couple like that myself. But there have been a lot of comments about the collector's value of these original guns, which tells me that people are more interested in them as investments.

Duffield

25 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

This is quite true.

I have a couple like that myself. But there have been a lot of comments about the collector's value of these original guns, which tells me that people are more interested in them as investments.

Duffield

I disagree. 

To ignore the fact that these guns possess a collector component would be like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand. Folk are just discussing this obvious component.

Phantom

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I disagree. 

To ignore the fact that these guns possess a collector component would be like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand. Folk are just discussing this obvious component.

Phantom

We may be more in agreement than you think.

I do not intend to ignore the collector value, but one must consider what one is purchasing the gun for: do you want a collector's piece for your collection, or do you want a working tool.  Children, no matter how good their intentions are, are typically hard on anything they use.  So are some of us adults - I have a couple of skinned places on treasured rifles that I took hunting, and I believe that others reading this can relate.

Mustang Greg said that he planned to let his grandkids use it.  So does HE want it for its collector value, or does he want a tool? That will determine how much it is worth to HIM, and whether he wants to bid on it.

Duffield

17 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

We may be more in agreement than you think.

I do not intend to ignore the collector value, but one must consider what one is purchasing the gun for: do you want a collector's piece for your collection, or do you want a working tool.  Children, no matter how good their intentions are, are typically hard on anything they use.  So are some of us adults - I have a couple of skinned places on treasured rifles that I took hunting, and I believe that others reading this can relate.

Mustang Greg said that he planned to let his grandkids use it.  So does HE want it for its collector value, or does he want a tool? That will determine how much it is worth to HIM, and whether he wants to bid on it.

Duffield

Get a 50% or so Winchester and the collector qualities of this gun will maintain. Values will be stable with a slightly positive slope.

Phantom

32 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Get a 50% or so Winchester and the collector qualities of this gun will maintain. Values will be stable with a slightly positive slope.

Phantom

You are absolutely correct!

I believe that Mustang Greg was talking about a 95-100% Winchester.

Duffield

I picked up a nice 62a a couple of years ago at a gunshow. He had it marked for $1100. I traded a 45 ACP rock island  NIB That I won at a SASS match  & 300 For it. I would put my gun at 80-90%, but that’s pretty subjective. It’s an excellent shooter!  It will hold a bunch of 22 shorts! I got tired of pumping it before it ran out of bullets!  For what it’s worth, I can shoot it faster and more accurately than my Henry Golden Boy. (But my Pard Verdadero can outshoot me with his Golden boy every day of the week and twice on Sunday!) 

the true gallery models have a triangle shaped loading port and are worth more. 

the Marlin 39As are also excellent 22s. I’ve been on the prowl for one of those as well. 

It sold for $1600 at the auction this afternoon. 

There was a cracked forearm that had been repaired, but barely noticeable.

23 minutes ago, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

Good to know. I have a 62A in really good condition, full length barrel. Don't want to sell it, but nice to know.  It was made in 1957 also.

That price is for a Gallery model. A standard 62 will not bring that kind of money unless Mint in Box.

Phantom

Collector's item or using piece.....

....... way too much thought being put into this.

I'm not a millionaire, but if I want a gun and it works and I want to use it, I will buy it. I'm not a cork sniffer so I don't need a book end firearm, but I will buy a " collectors item" if it's what I find.

If you are worried about losing money on a firearm because you'll be using it, that means you probably can't afford it in the first place.

23 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

Collector's item or using piece.....

....... way too much thought being put into this.

I'm not a millionaire, but if I want a gun and it works and I want to use it, I will buy it. I'm not a cork sniffer so I don't need a book end firearm, but I will buy a " collectors item" if it's what I find.

If you are worried about losing money on a firearm because you'll be using it, that means you probably can't afford it in the first place.

That's kinda condescending...no...it's down right condescending. 

I have firearms that I'll never shoot...some old / scarce Colt revolvers...some bizarre oddities...purchased for among other things their investment qualities. Does this mean I couldn't afford them????

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

......Does this mean I couldn't afford them????

Phantom

Nope it does not. But you are more than welcome to feel any way you want.

It's referring to those who cannot decide if old guns should be shot or not.

1 hour ago, Fence Cutter said:

Nope it does not. But you are more than welcome to feel any way you want.

It's referring to those who cannot decide if old guns should be shot or not.

This makes no sense...

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

The purpose for this comment? Is this to motivate someone to make a decision?

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

I'm not a cork sniffer so I don't need a book end firearm

Another comment that has the purpose of doing what exactly???

Back in '06 I gave my 98%, 1953-built Model 62 to my son for his eighth grade graduation - with the charge that he was to shoot it.  ;)

He's taken care of it, but he has enjoyed shooting it...  a LOT~!   ^_^   

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That price is for a Gallery model. A standard 62 will not bring that kind of money unless Mint in Box.

Phantom

I KNOW that. I was just making a statement. Nice to know in case I run across one for less $.

24 minutes ago, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

I KNOW that. I was just making a statement. Nice to know in case I run across one for less $.

Well how in the hell was I supposed to know that? You were referencing the value of a Gallery gun.

Phantom

I'll keep mine. I got it for my 13th birthday. It's the rifle I taught my daughter how to shoot. She now has one of her own that she got when her grandfather passed away.

Archived