SASS Wire Forum

My Covid-19 Saga

Yul Lose

Two weeks ago tomorrow I got a call from a medical worker that is also a family friend that informed me that two employees at an imaging company where I had an MRI performed had active Covid-19 cases. The place that did the imaging was pretty dirty and when they sent me in to the dressing room there were two gowns on the floor and one on the dressing chair from previous patients. I asked her about that and she picked them up and put them in an open hamper. On the way into the dressing room I noticed that the bedding on the MRI table looked like it still had imprints from the previous patient. I asked the tech about it and she rearranged the bedding, I should have walked out then but I wanted to find out about my back pain. This was on June 25th.

Well on Sunday before I got the call I shot a match up at Norco with no issues felt fine and we all did our social distancing stuff. Well after I got the call the next Tuesday I called the Match Director and let him know that I had been exposed. I didn’t become ill until that Thursday morning. Body aches chills, fever etc. I lost my sense of smell and the only thing that I could smell was a constant sweet, sick smell not to far away from smelling like Balistol. Friday I drove down to the hospital and had the nose swab done at the drive through testing kiosk. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday I was really suffering from body aches and my temperature had only gotten up to 100.5. Sunday afternoon I got an email from the hospital that they had lost my swab and I needed to be retested. My wife drove me down to the hospital on Monday afternoon and we both got tested in the ER because they had shut down the drive through testing.

Well the ER was a mess. Every patient that came in was having their pulse checked and their oxygen content checked using the same finger clamp that everyone else did, none of the chairs were being cleaned between patients, etc... After waiting 3 hours and still not being tested a young ER doctor came out and questioned me about my symptoms. One of the ones that tipped him off was the sense of smell thing and then when he looked at a rash that I had on the back of my left arm, shoulder, neck and lower back that looks very similar to ring worm he confirmed it. I had already did a video visit with my personal doctor and he insisted that I get tested. Anyway they do another swab on the other nostril and test my wife and we’re free to go. They don’t prescribe anything. Tell me to drink lots of liquids and take Tylenol and use the altimeter to check my oxygen level 3 or 4 times a day and monitor my fever. I got an email that evening telling me that I had tested positive for covid-19, my wife was negative according to her email.

The next day, last Tuesday I was feeling pretty good and my appetite was returning which was good because I hadn’t felt like eating anything since Friday. The county health nurse called and we kind of got into it because she said that I was confined to my house and I told her that I had a shop that I spent a lot of time in and she told me that unless it was attached to my house that I couldn’t go out there. I told her that it was 75 feet away and since I was the only one that goes in it that I would be spending a lot of time in my shop. She then wanted my cell phone number as a contact number and I told her that I’d rather she call my home phone number instead and she insisted on my cell phone number. Well little did she know the cellular phone does not work down in the holler where I live and I rarely take it with me when I go anywhere. I was tied to a pager, cell phone or two-way radio for many years and really detest being tied to them now. Turns out according to a neighbor that works for the county they use your cell phone to track whether you’re staying home or not, good to know. My temperature has been normal since last Thursday and I’ve had no other symptoms and according to them I’m free to get out on Thursday the 16th. One of the county nurses came by today and took my temp and asked me a few questions and told me that I didn’t have to be retested. My wife got retested this morning. She’s been going to the office everyday and since she is an essential employee and the only one in the office it’s not a problem. 

I spent quite a little time out in the shop today and being able to smell the shop smells was a good thing. Yes I was part of the high risk group beings I have limited lung capacity and past breathing issues. Never during my illness did I feel that my lungs had been weakened or compromised. I think one of the things that helped me in my recovery is my wife loads me up with lots of supplement like lysine, vitamin c, reshi, Black elderberry and a bunch of others.

Too tough to die!

I’m proud of you bro!!

:lol:

Seriously, don’t take any chances.  If you feel ill again, get help.  Preferably at a clean hospital.

My wife just received an email that her second test that she had done today is negative.:D

So glad you are doing better. Glad your wife tested negative as well. 

So, stubbornness works to defeat CoVid. Good to know. ;)

Seriously, I am very happy you are okay. 

I'm glad you're on the road to recovery Yul.

This Covid-19 is nothing fool around about or minimize.

To date, here in Canada, in spite of a lot of caution, I lost my Brother-in-law April 25, in the Perley Rideau Veterans Health Centre and my cousin in Hamilton on July 3

Yul, it's damned good to know you stood up to it and that it skipped your Missus - good on the both of you!  ^_^

Curious - are you an "O" blood type...?

The MRI center and the hospital ER sound horrible ran/managed. Wow.

Glad you are recovering! :D

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yul, it's damned good to know you stood up to it and that it skipped your Missus - good on the both of you!  ^_^

Curious - are you an "O" blood type...?

A positive for me AB negative for her

44 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Hate you had to go through that, but glad you're better!  I don't have a cell phone if asked by a governmental agency.

Yeah!!  And I don’t have an e-mail account or home phone either!!

Glad it all worked out for ya’, Yul!!

You should file a report on the imaging outfit and that ER!!  They’re violating government guidelines and perhaps even state and federal laws!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah!!  And I don’t have an e-mail account or home phone either!!

Glad it all worked out for ya’, Yul!!

You should file a report on the imaging outfit and that ER!!  They’re violating government guidelines and perhaps even state and federal laws!!

No email account? You could possibly be the only one on the planet without one! :lol::P Well maybe a few in the jungles!! :P

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No email account? You could possibly be the only one on the planet without one! :lol::P Well maybe a few in the jungles!! :P

AmazonianCellPone.jpg

56 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s my story and I’m not changing it!!

What they don’t know won’t hurt me!! <_<  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Glad to hear you are feeling better Yul, the tip about the cell phone is invaluable. Stay well and safe.

12 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:    Could it be that sawdust from quality hardwoods is a form of prophylaxis? 

Seriously, glad you beat it.

Never thought of that.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Glad you are on the mend. Ya still burning wood?

Imis

Did a little yesterday. I have a very big burn project coming up that will take days to do.

On 7/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, Yul Lose said:

... county health nurse called and we kind of got into it ...wanted my cell phone number ...she insisted on my cell phone number. ...according to a neighbor that works for the county they use your cell phone to track whether you’re staying home or not...

Like you I was tied to a pager or cell phone for years and I hated the interruptions.  Now that I'm retired, anyone "requires" a cellphone number I give them the wife's!  :)

I’m glad your recovery was quick and your fine is fine.

do you have any lingering symptoms despite your recovery?

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Like you I was tied to a pager or cell phone for years and I hated the interruptions.  Now that I'm retired, anyone "requires" a cellphone number I give them the wife's!  :)

We have no cell reception at our place and the answering machine screens the landline. :D

You got some hard bark on ya, Yul.  Good news on your recovery. Glad the Missus is negative.

My Sister and her husband both had it back in Mar. Took them both 3.5 weeks to get over. Both have since tested positive for the antibodies.

Sorry to hear that little bug got to you but glad you beat him and are on the mend.  Good for you!

Archived