SASS Wire Forum

Lee Shaver sights

Major Crimes

I have a Lee Shaver (super grade) on my Pedersoli Boss Sharps and it is a great sight.

I foolishly got the mid range soule and should have got the long range.

I want to get another Lee Shaver sight for my 1886 Pedersoli (Uberti sell them in the US).

If I get the long range Lee Shaver (super grade soule) for Lever guns  could I swap my mid range staff onto the lever base and the new long range staff onto my sharps base?

I am assuming that the lever long range is the same size (as long) as the Sharps long range.

I have read that the super grades do. It all depends on the width, the shaft diameter and the spring set up.

That said.....

No one would know better then Lee.

I copied and pasted the information from his website.  I didn't see a contact email address listed.  I've talked to him on several occasions and have purchased things from him.  He is a great guy.  I hope this helps you.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

Customer Service

Lee Shaver Gunsmithing's customer service goal is simple:

We are committed to providing our customers total satisfaction. 

Every time. 

Guaranteed. 

Contact us at 417-682-3330
Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 5:00 pm.

PO Box 570
404 E 17th St.
Lamar MO 64759

Please feel free to drop us a line to share your thoughts on the site, all comments welcomed.

I spoke to Lee and the staffs are interchangable.

So I have mortgaged my first born (damn that exchange rate:blink:) and bought a long range super grade soule for the lever gun.

I will change the staffs over and have a long range on the Pedersoli Boss Sharps and the mid range on the Pedersoli 1886 Sporting Rifle.

30 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

What's the big difference between the "Super" grade and the "Standard"(?) grade sights that makes it worth the extra money?

Angus

There is a pretty good description on his website.

In the main its about the base springs and set up. The expensive ones are more versitile and can be adjusted to suit your requirements (staff angle) and the staff will stay up right under recoil (better) on the expensive one. The cheaper ones are set up for the rifle you tell them and you dont have much (any?) adjustment for personal choice.

Most people on other sites say the the cheaper ones are good enough for the majority of shooters but I prefer to buy once.

Besides if I am going to mortgage my children I may as well get the best for them:D

2 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

There is a pretty good description on his website.

In the main its about the base springs and set up. The expensive ones are more versitile and can be adjusted to suit your requirements (staff angle) and the staff will stay up right under recoil (better) on the expensive one. The cheaper ones are set up for the rifle you tell them and you dont have much (any?) adjustment for personal choice.

Most people on other sites say the the cheaper ones are good enough for the majority of shooters but I prefer to buy once.

Besides if I am going to mortgage my children I may as well get the best for them:D

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Unless you are referring to the staff angle again.  Since I'm thinking about getting one for a single shot (Sharps .45-70) I'm not real concerned about having to reset/lift the sight after each shot.  I'm more concerned about any difference in adjusting the sights and repeatability/consistency of adjustments.

I tend to agree with the "Buy once, cry once" philosophy.  I'm just concerned if the extra money is worth the extra tears.  If the place wasn't about a 5 hour drive for me I'd be tempted to drive over and take a real hands on look at them.

Also,  Why were you unhappy with the Mid-range sight?  What distances are you shooting and what calibers?  The longest range I've ever had access to was 600 yards.  Now I think I'd be lucky to find a 300 yard range.  I'm thinking the Mid-range sight would be plenty enough sight for me.

Angus

I use the Longrange Staff on my Highwall in .40-65 to reach out to well past 1,200 yards .... With bullets in the 380- 425 Grain weight range ...

With the sharps and it's extra Drop from the center of the bore of the site you need a longer staff , than a highwall ... 

Jabez Cowboy

I have the lower priced one on a Uberti 1885 and a Super Grade ready to go on a 44-90 Shiloh.  Superior fit and finish is evident on the Super Grade.  While not in the category of MVA I expect them to perform well enough for me.  If you're a competitor and apt to make lots of changes there is no substitute for repeatability.   If you never change anything all you need is the cheapest out there that is rigid in its assigned setting.  Thats cause a vernier is just a complicated peep sight and not needed for most needs.

5 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Unless you are referring to the staff angle again.  Since I'm thinking about getting one for a single shot (Sharps .45-70) I'm not real concerned about having to reset/lift the sight after each shot.  I'm more concerned about any difference in adjusting the sights and repeatability/consistency of adjustments.

I tend to agree with the "Buy once, cry once" philosophy.  I'm just concerned if the extra money is worth the extra tears.  If the place wasn't about a 5 hour drive for me I'd be tempted to drive over and take a real hands on look at them.

Also,  Why were you unhappy with the Mid-range sight?  What distances are you shooting and what calibers?  The longest range I've ever had access to was 600 yards.  Now I think I'd be lucky to find a 300 yard range.  I'm thinking the Mid-range sight would be plenty enough sight for me.

Angus

Yes I was talking about staff angle and the strength of the spring under recoil.

Give him a call, if he will talk to an Aussie he will talk to anyone:ph34r: Tell him what you want to do and I am sure he will be happy to make a recomendation, he was very helpful.

I currently shoot my 45/70 with 520gr proj out to 600M and depending on the conditions of the day I am on the limit of my adjustmant. I would like the ability to shoot a smidge further (there are some 1000+ ranges that I have been invited to) and so I need the long range.

Do as I say not as I did. Get the long range! Long range shoots medium range, medium range dont shoot long range and the bullet dont know if you are only using half the sight on any given day.

Below is his number and timings.

Contact us at 417-682-3330
Mon - Fri, 8:00am - 5:00 pm.

PO Box 570
404 E 17th St.
Lamar MO 64759

Archived