SASS Wire Forum

1911 holster

dannyd

This made me think waaay back.........hmm

I recall as a kid, my dad brought home a new brown holster, just like the one in the photo, and told me to make it black.  All the officers had to begin using black holsters by date X, but there were no black ones available to issue (big surprise to no one).  So, (no surprise either) everyone was issued new brown holsters, instead...?   “Er, uh, I already have a brown holster, Corporal.”  “Okay Sir, now you have two!”

I bought the dye and various brushes from a shoemaker across town.  I asked, but he wouldn’t do the work.  My medic friends at the hospital across from my school, gave me A big bagfull of gloves and gauze pads.

I scrubbed the new brown holster to remove the finish, laid on several thin coats of dye and several thin coats of black wax, heating the holster between coats.  I brushed it up to bring out a high luster.  The new finish wouldn’t rub off, (thank goodness!), and it turned out nice.  New black holsters, naturally, weren’t received and issued for months.  

I told my dad not to take off his pistol belt and to bring his sidearm home every night.  He thought about it and laughed, but he wore his sidearm home every day for a long time, and never switched holsters.  I still have my dad’s pistol belt, with various filled pouches, including his 2 magazines, and that holster.

Cat Brules

That's my test one,  I make them in left and right hand.  Using the Tandy 100 year anniversary patterns pack.  Never could carve the US, so had a stamp made.

97B80BAD-E8F8-4A3F-843D-D8F64AB1274D.jpeg

That is a very good looking and unique holster.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

With intentions of selling the holsters ... put them for sale on the Wire Classifieds. If not, here is a deal ...  https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-general-officers-belt-set/

I make them and give them away it's my hobby.  All my holsters and belts are lined. 

I make them and give them away it's my hobby.  All my holsters and belts are lined. 

That being the case, you must have a line of WB shooters at your front door.  They are drop dead gorgeous.

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

With intentions of selling the holsters ... put them for sale on the Wire Classifieds. If not, here is a deal ...  https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-general-officers-belt-set/

If he's making them to sell he should become a SASS Merchant and sell there.

Hopefully I can keep it my hobby, so not making any to sell. But I have surprised couple 1911 owners with one.  Some other ones

1E2766E7-8039-4615-88AF-CD9ED84EC61F.jpeg

12 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Hopefully I can keep it my hobby, so not making any to sell. But I have surprised couple 1911 owners with one.  Some other ones

1E2766E7-8039-4615-88AF-CD9ED84EC61F.jpeg

Good looking holsters!  I haven't seen basket weave on that color leather before. 

Just as an FYI, when you're making carry holsters for a 1911 it can be helpful to have a cut out on the back for your thumb.  The full shield is helpful in protecting the gun from sweat, and your body from the gun, but it can make it difficult to get a good grip.  I use Wilson Combat holsters for both my full size 1911 and my Commander.  Here's how they do it. 

10BAF9F0-C15A-4345-8EC9-91D29E65FBD4.jpeg

3866302E-B1D5-4046-A62C-E5A4EF350530.jpeg

553BFCC5-8D79-46BB-9CA9-AA2A0F04CD32.jpeg

8F8360DA-3414-4F66-9E58-2AB3A0F98AB3.jpeg

7337B835-26BF-477F-8239-F4356E583E47.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Good looking holsters!  I haven't seen basket weave on that color leather before. 

Just as an FYI, when you're making carry holsters for a 1911 it can be helpful to have a cut out on the back for your thumb.  The full shield is helpful in protecting the gun from sweat, and your body from the gun, but it can make it difficult to get a good grip.  I use Wilson Combat holsters for both my full size 1911 and my Commander.  Here's how they do it. 

I have looked at those, just not got there yet the only 1911 I own are the blue guns. I have do these for people to carry.

DEDCFC05-994A-4194-A3EB-E914B31D816D.jpeg

If you do not mind my asking, where did you find your stamp?  The US and CS were both really hard to come by a few years ago.  They were available through Weaver and Bunkhouse bot I do not know if that is still the case? 

2 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

If you do not mind my asking, where did you find your stamp?  The US and CS were both really hard to come by a few years ago.  They were available through Weaver and Bunkhouse bot I do not know if that is still the case? 

Got the stamp from Bunkhouse 

Archived