SASS Wire Forum

Pictures of Scottish Dress for our game

Dang It Dan 13202

Hello All,

I am looking for a couple of pictures of folks who dress up in Scottish (or kilts) dress and shoot our game.  I have a friend who is thinking about it and is really into his Scottish roots.

Just post them here and I will send them on.

Thanks so much.

Dan

Here's a couple of threads from the past addressing this very topic...  :rolleyes:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/210795-kilts/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f115/western-style-contemporary-kilts-71642/

And then there was Brian Keith's character Alexander Bowen in "The Rare Breed."  ^_^

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

I just saw a video of a shoot where everyone dressed like that. Maybe Jedi?

Just watched that video. It was day 1 of the 2020 Oregon State Championships.

The first day was Kilt-A-Paloza Day.

If you look in the January 2020 Chronicle under the EOT Costume Contest you will see where Jacobite Jack won first place in Wild Bunch, Shooting and Evening men's costume, each time wearing a different costume, all with kilts.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Can somebody help me out and explain the link between a kilt and a cowboy? 

I'm seriously asking.  No sarcasm intended.  

Morgan Earp was kilt by a cowboy. Wyatt Earp then kilt a couple of cowboys.

There is a SASS member that does wear a kilt for shooting....I have not seen him for a while...I think he is out of Arizona  somewhere...Used to see him at WR and Shot Show...He would working the Pietta Booth spinning guns....

Texas Lizard

I started wearing the kilt for summer dress code, now for steampunk..  I am sure there were Scotsmen out west and they did wear their kilts, probably not on horseback.

2017-09-30 160205-213268.JPG

Then there is......

IMG_20200220_115637737.jpg

And remember, when Nate Champion and his friend were trapped in the cabin, by the cattle company paid regulators, his friend Nick died first. Thus inspiring the famous stage starting line,  "you kilt Nick".

Only a fortunate few will get this one.;)

There are a number of folks that think it is really cool to wear a Kilt to a COWBOY match. A lot of these same folks also think it is cool to do a Hawaiian dress day at a COWBOY match. There have been those that thought it was cool to dress like a Football team at a COWBOY match, or even a Baseball team. Some folks seem to think this game is about the Boar Wars, some think it is a RODEO with guns. I've seen one that thought it was a skin contest wearing a Speedo Bathing suit, and then there is the Godzilla type and Space man type... don't forget the Blues Brothers, and the Clowns, or by all means, the Steam Punk crowd, the Spanish American war buffs and a few misplaced WWI show up from time to time. Bottom line is that the Dress code in this game has NEVER been enforced per the intent of the rules (hint: it's a cowboy game, however that could be subject to change, or some creative "Clarification" ) You can wear totally incorrect dress styles or even totally out of period styles that have NOTHING to do with CAS, and nothing will happen, in fact, it is often sanctioned, because someone thinks it is Cool. However, if you look like a for real 1870s cowboy, and shoot CC,  and happen to have some lugs on the bottom of your Boots, then you are subject to a SDQ for every stage you wear them on. (that's not cool). Folks say "It's a Fantasy game", so I guess that covers it. For me, it's a Cowboy game, I'll dress like a cowboy.

Before anyone starts bashing me for my hard core CHOICE of clothing, consider the fact that I've had the same attitude on this topic since day one. I have never changed, never participated in these deviations, But also have never made too much of a big deal about it.... because, about the only one that agrees with me is the Judge, and he hasn't said anything about it since he banned modern Levi's at the Second TG convention at the old Frontier, only to have to take it back because the Theme for the next EOT was "Silver Screen Cowboys"!  Ha!  So if you want to wear a skirt...I mean Kilt, to a Cowboy match.. do it.  :P

Snakebite 

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

There are a number of folks that think it is really cool to wear a Kilt to a COWBOY match. A lot of these same folks also think it is cool to do a Hawaiian dress day at a COWBOY match. There have been those that thought it was cool to dress like a Football team at a COWBOY match, or even a Baseball team. Some folks seem to think this game is about the Boar Wars, some think it is a RODEO with guns. I've seen one that thought it was a skin contest wearing a Speedo Bathing suit, and then there is the Godzilla type and Space man type... don't forget the Blues Brothers, and the Clowns, or by all means, the Steam Punk crowd, the Spanish American war buffs and a few misplaced WWI show up from time to time.

So I guess fig leaves are definitely not sanctioned. 

On 7/12/2020 at 8:54 PM, Waimea said:

Irish wear kilts too, Laddie.

Aye they do and I bought one last summer... FYI The pattern of the plaid on a Scottish kilt denotes the family of the wearer.  The pattern on an Irish kilt denotes the area the wearer is from..  Most of us Irish castoffs wear an "All Ireland" pattern.  A kilt really feel good when worn.The paneled "news Boy" cap is an allowed SASS item.  Goes well with the kilt.

Here's my pattern and the supplier

https://sportkilt.com/product/irish-county-tartan-kilt-mediumweight-wool-2/

Since the original post was a request looking for pictures, here are a few:

I could not find any of my pics while shooting in a kilt, I guess it's been a while. 

In order: 1898 Black Watch Lt Service Dress Uniform (Boer War)(was shooting a Wild Bunch Match), 1861 79th New York SGT Dress Uniform (Civil War), Circa 1880's Gentleman's Dress outfit, 1902 Argyle and Sutherland 2nd Lt  Service Dress Uniform. 

5E83B5A3-9E45-456D-805F-77018305728B_1_105_c.jpeg

8EA3D177-E75C-4169-94F7-BC62F4AC612C_4_5005_c.jpeg

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1073.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Timber Jack Thompson, SASS #55358 said:

5E83B5A3-9E45-456D-805F-77018305728B_1_105_c.jpeg

Good to see a fellow who knows how to wear his hose and flashings correctly.  Note that the corners of the diamond patterns of the hose as well as the edge of the flashings are directly in line with the shin bone, not off to the side of the calf as is common in civilian Scottish attire.  Well done, Timber Jack!

Here's a pic of me leading wave 4 of the massed bands at Stone Mountain Highland Games about 10 years ago.  I was Drum Major for Panama City Pipes and Drums.  Sadly, no pipe bands in my area now.

Drum Major K Hosey.PNG

Archived