SASS Wire Forum

The inherent danger...

Lunger Dan

of goin' injun when it's hot out,only wearing a vest and the first .45 round in your rifle string lands between the gut and the bandoleer! Don't stop shootin'!

IMG_4112.JPG

I have a permanent scar in the hinge of my right elbow.  I shoot Black Powder! I shoot when it’s hot. I shoot with my sleeves rolled up. I shoot an 1860 Henry!

On more occasions than I care to recall, I’ve had one or more .45 shells land in the crook of my elbow and STICK!!  After finishing the stage, I’ve removed that hot case along with one or more layers of skin.

I can certainly relate!!

A few years ago my wife didn't want to wear her hat on one stage because she was too hot.  She now has a nice scar on her neck were a piece of rifle brass was trapped between her neck and the collar of her shirt.  She now makes sure she has her hat on when she shoots a stage.

We have one shooter in our club who is so consistent with the '73 that most all of his spent brass lands in one spot that can usually be covered by his hat.  And we have others who arrive at the unloading table with most of their spent brass on top of their hat.  Some of the women have more serious spent brass landing-branding site problems. 

You won't get branded by your ejected empties, 

if you “religiously” wear 100% cotton long-sleeved shirts and 100% silk and cotton “undershirts,” coupled with 100% cotton trousers.  Wearing synthetic material, or partial-synthetics will not breath well and you could dangerously retain body heat.  

You will sweat quite a bit, but you won’t really be retaining body heat.  The clothing will breath and you must drink 2 or 3 quarts of water to stay hydrated.  Your body will take in that water quickly, start sweating it out, and you almost won’t realize you drank it!  Granted, you will be soaked in sweat, however I think you’ll be fairly comfortable, even in 100++ outside temps.  Besides, the outside heat will dry you quickly.  I guess the point is to wear 100% natural fibers, keep your body completely covered, wear your Western hat, drink a lot of water.      

PLUS, (again) you won’t get burned or branded by ejected rifle brass......ladies, keep’em covered.

Cat Brules

28 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

if you “religiously” wear 100% cotton long-sleeved shirts (keep the sleeves rolled down!), and 100% silk and cotton “undershirts,” coupled with 100% cotton trousers.  ALSO, I advise you wear a 100% silk scarf, somewhat loosely tied.  If you wear “undershorts,” be sure they are cotton or silk.

Wearing synthetic material, or partial-synthetics will not breath well and you could dangerously retain body heat.  

You will sweat quite a bit, but you won’t really be retaining body heat.  The clothing will breath and you must drink 2 or 3 quarts of water to stay hydrated.  Your body will take in that water quickly, start sweating it out, and you almost won’t realize you drank it!  Granted, you will be soaked in sweat, however I think you’ll be fairly comfortable, even in 100++ outside temps.  Besides, the outside heat will dry you quickly.  I guess the point is to wear 100% natural fibers, keep your body completely covered, wear your Western hat, and drink a lot of water.      

PLUS, (again) you won’t get burned or branded by ejected rifle brass......ladies, keep’em covered.

Cat Brules

37 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

if you “religiously” wear 100% cotton long-sleeved shirts and 100% silk and cotton “undershirts,” coupled with 100% cotton trousers.  Wearing synthetic material, or partial-synthetics will not breath well and you could dangerously retain body heat.  

You will sweat quite a bit, but you won’t really be retaining body heat.  The clothing will breath and you must drink 2 or 3 quarts of water to stay hydrated.  Your body will take in that water quickly, start sweating it out, and you almost won’t realize you drank it!  Granted, you will be soaked in sweat, however I think you’ll be fairly comfortable, even in 100++ outside temps.  Besides, the outside heat will dry you quickly.  I guess the point is to wear 100% natural fibers, keep your body completely covered, wear your Western hat, drink a lot of water.      

Cat Brules

Please tell me yer kidding. I've received casing burns all over! Hands, fingers, neck, arms...I guess if you wrapped yourself up like a mummy you'd avoid burns.

It's part of CAS life. If you shoot, you'll get a burn sooner or later... Again, if you shoot.

Phantom

I'm the official brass retriever for when the ladies get a hot brass down their front! I like to help, I'm just a nice guy I guess!:P

Lessee... one weekend over twenty years ago I was shooting with the Chorro Valley group.

Great time and a good bunch of folks, and a nice facility - except for that danged li'l stagecoach they used to have.  Fun, and a neat prop. but it was kinda crowded inside, to the point where I had to leave my hat OUTside.

Shooting in the cramped quarters was interesting, made much more interesting when a freshly ejected .45 spit out of my '92 ricochet'd off the ceiling and, having no hat to protect my head, successfully lodged itself between my eyeglass lens and eyelid.

I set a personal best record in emptying that carbine as I listened to the hot brass sizzling my 'lid.

Man, that did smart.  Swelled up like an extra thumb.  :huh:

21 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Lessee... one weekend over twenty years ago I was shooting with the Chorro Valley group.

Great time and a good bunch of folks, and a nice facility - except for that danged li'l stagecoach they used to have.  Fun, and a neat prop. but it was kinda crowded inside, to the point where I had to leave my hat OUTside.

Shooting in the cramped quarters was interesting, made much more interesting when a freshly ejected .45 spit out of my '92 ricochet'd off the ceiling and, having no hat to protect my head, successfully lodged itself between my eyeglass lens and eyelid.

I set a personal best record in emptying that carbine as I listened to the hot brass sizzling my 'lid.

Man, that did smart.  Swelled up like an extra thumb.  :huh:

You should have been wearing Cat Brules' Cotton Mummy outfit.

:mellow:

Yep ya' gotta expect some hot brass at sometime, had a few myself but the most painful thing that  happened to me a few years back was when I took a tumble wearing my double crossdraw rig ..the hammer on my left pistol stuck in my gut enough to draw blood & was tender for quite a while..still got the little mark to remind me !!!

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have a permanent scar in the hinge of my right elbow.  I shoot Black Powder! I shoot when it’s hot. I shoot with my sleeves rolled up. I shoot an 1860 Henry!

On more occasions than I care to recall, I’ve had one or more .45 shells land in the crook of my elbow and STICK!!  After finishing the stage, I’ve removed that hot case along with one or more layers of skin.

I can certainly relate!!

I have that exact scar in my left elbow crook under the exact circumstances. Only done it once. Next time I’ll shake it out before continuing the rifle string!

25 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I have that exact scar in my left elbow crook under the exact circumstances. Only done it once. Next time I’ll shake it out before continuing the rifle string!

On two of those occasions, I was leading the field at a major, (state or higher) match!  I'd already been nicked in the back with a bad ricochet at one of those matches and I was bound and determined to finish the stage in both instances. I won Frontiersman at Alabama, even though I had a train wreck stage later that day.  Another time I placed second down at the Mississippi state match.

I ain't NO WAY that competitive any more!!  B)  :lol:

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm the official brass retriever for when the ladies get a hot brass down their front! I like to help, I'm just a nice guy I guess!:P

Do you still have your badge?

23 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

of goin' injun when it's hot out,only wearing a vest and the first .45 round in your rifle string lands between the gut and the bandoleer! Don't stop shootin'!

IMG_4112.JPG

gonna leave a mark--for sure!

Hot lead is always hotter than brass!  Shooting on one of those steel plates that launches a clay bird when it falls, I felt the sting right below my hat brim, at the top of the left temple.  After finishing the stage I touched the tender spot and felt a bloody bump and when I pressed it, out pops a tiny lead pellet betwixt my fangers and yep, I had busted the clay.  Funny thing is I usually missed them clay flyers but reckon that lil bite got my attention and made me concentrate instead of overthinking the shot.  Still got a tiny lil knot in that spot and always wondered if there is another lil pellet still in there?

7 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Do you still have your badge?

You got me looking for it!!! I forgot all about that!! It's here somewhere!!:o

On 7/12/2020 at 1:58 PM, Lunger Dan said:

Dang Dan:o, is that when I was stepping on your toes??:ph34r:

20 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I guess the point is to wear 100% natural fibers, keep your body completely covered, wear your Western hat, and drink a lot of water.   

He dresses like Injun, as in no shirt, nor shoes...etc..etc...but he does drink alota water.;)

I caught the first of ten BP 44-40 rounds in my left elbow crease and held it through all ten shots!  It was a hard burn to heal too.  I remember every time I see the scars...gotta love it!

On 7/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We had an lady shooter who was.............let's say "Nicely Shaped" and was aware and rather proud of the fact.

She dressed all in form-fitting black outfit with a flat crowned black hat, black boots, silver decorated black gun belt and a black low-cut shirt type pull-over thing.

Very..................... striking and dramatic looking. Yeah, that's the phrase.

Absolutely no objections from the men of our posses but a couple of the lady shooters cautioned her about her choice of tops.

She ignored the ladies but found out why they were warning her, when she switched from the '92 she had been using to a new '73

Sadly, she left soon after and never returned.

Archived