SASS Wire Forum

NON-SASS - Subsonic .38 lead loads through Suppressor

Big Hand Zack

Ok so heres my situation gentlemen... 

I'm gonna be running a suppressor on my non-sass Marlin 1894 (.357) pretty much all the time (once the form 4 is approved). I want to make subsonic loads for it using 180gr bullets, but I don't want to run straight lead, as it builds quickly in suppressors. 

So I can run jacketed, which are a little expensive, or I can run Hi-Tek coated bullets, which I'd prefer. The problem is, the only Hi-Tek coated 180's I can find are 18BHN or higher, and I'm going to be running these at 900-1000fps. 

I know that "fit" to the bore is important, but is running slower velocities with an 18BHN bullet going to give me any issues? 

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

As long as they fit the bore they should be ok.

Your biggest problem is finding a load that doesn't leave a lot of unburnt powder and residue in the barrel and suppressor.  One of the issues with low velocity loads is that they are also low pressure and can be dirty. Loads that use faster powders will likely minimize this.

I would make sure that any suppressor you buy can be disassembled for cleaning.

You’re spending the $$$ for a suppressor but flinching at the cost difference between lead and jacketed bullets?

I don’t know where the break point is, but unless you’re shooting 10s of 1000s of rounds, I’d say get the jacketed ammo and not worry. 

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Your biggest problem is finding a load that doesn't leave a lot of unburnt powder and residue in the barrel and suppressor.  One of the issues with low velocity loads is that they are also low pressure and can be dirty. Loads that use faster powders will likely minimize this.

I would make sure that any suppressor you buy can be disassembled for cleaning.

The suppressor I bought can disassemble, so it is cleanable. Ya i've found that issue. I think a decent load of Titegroup should work well, I also have Clays. I'll have to see how they pan out with 180's vs 125's like I normally use. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

You’re spending the $$$ for a suppressor but flinching at the cost difference between lead and jacketed bullets?

I don’t know where the break point is, but unless you’re shooting 10s of 1000s of rounds, I’d say get the jacketed ammo and not worry. 

Well its actually pretty substantial. No one I know of sells jacketed 180's except for Hornady's XTP, which are around $0.25 a piece. I can buy Hi-tek coated 180's for about $0.09, so almost 1/3 the price. Thats $250 for 1000 XTP's and only $90 for the Hi-Teks. I'm on track to shoot a couple thousand .38's this year with a new kid, so I can only imagine next year will be more. Thats substantial to me. 

Plus, I spent a hell of a lot less on my suppressor than I did my SASS guns lol

Archived