SASS Wire Forum

Bought a bunch of shotgun reloading stuff, need data

Crusty Knees

I bought a bunch of shotshell reloading stuff that I have set up now, and I'm ready to make some Cowboy Shotshells:

It seemed like a good buy for $200 from a friend who doesn't shoot anymore.

MEC 600 Jr for 12 ga with a 302 118 charge bar

MEC Super-Sizer 12 ga

8 lbs of Hodgdon Clays

1K Winchester 209 Primers

2 Buckets of Remington STS Green Hulls

4 bags of 1-1/8 oz Claybuster Wads.

2 Bags of Overshot cards

Hodgdon Load Data for those components runs from 16.2gr to 18.4 gr.  

What's a good starting load?   I don't care to tear up my shoulder again.

If you want to save your shoulder 1 1/8 loads are not the way to do it so get a good adjustable charge bar.

Look up Clay Buster CB0175-12 wads and associated load data. The starting load for STS hulls, Winchester primers, and Clays will work on any SG target as long as you do your part. 

BTW at $70.00 a case these are cheaper than reloading. Federal Top Gun Extra Lite Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #8 Shot. Buy two cases and they ship for free.

4 bags of 1-1/8 oz Claybuster Wads.

2 Bags of Overshot cards

You need more than just the manufacturer name to know what wads you have.  Claybusters makes about 8 different wads for 12 gauge reloading, using ounce and eighth of shot.  And it's true, you DON'T want that much shot in a cowboy load, and probably not in a clay target load either.

Here's a load to get you started:

Rem STS hulls (which is what you have)

Win 209 primers (you have)

Clays powder, 15 grains (you have)

Claybuster CB1100-12 (a pink wad, one of several pink Claybuster wads) (buy this)

1 Ounce shot - #7 1/2 lead shot is a good choice.

If you load with a good load recipe you will NEVER need the overshot cards.  Besides, it can give a hole in the shot pattern.

An adjustable powder/shot charging bar is a good idea, but if you don't load a bunch of different recipes, there's really nothing to gain spending the extra $50 or so for one.   

Get a Mec 1 ounce shot bar, use a Mec powder bushing that drops the weight of powder you want to use, and that's all you need at this point.

Even lighter on your shoulder would be 7/8 ounce of shot, that would need a different recipe with at least a different wad.

And you ought to get a good shotshell loading manual, if only just for the instructions about how to get your crimp start, crimp, and final mouth finish dies adjusted.  Lyman #5 Shotshell manual is a good one.  Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend who loads shotshells?

Good luck, GJ

In case you have not discovered it already, here is a link to the Hodgdon Reloading Center.  For CAS I shoot minimum published 7/8 oz loads.  All your supplies are useful for CAS except the wads.  Save them for other shooting.  BTW, if you wear out your STS hulls, you can reload Gun Club hulls with the same load.  I get all the Gun Club hulls I need for free on clays ranges.

I shoot 7/8 ounce loads over Reddot for soft 12-gage loads for our game.  I often use available 1-1/8 ounce wads and put a polystyrene circle in the wad cup to take up room. 

Scattergun loads are fun to develop.  Shot column length and the condition of hulls are critical.

Archived