SASS Wire Forum

BLL and reloading SG shells

I am about to begin my annual shotgun shell reloading after reading other threads on reloading and Blood Lead Levels( BLL). I did not want to hijack those threads to ask specifically about any ideas to cut down on GunShot Residue on SG hulls. Have you tried washing and drying them, any chemical applications etc? We seem to have covered metallic cartridges aspects pretty thoroughly but not SG.

Imis (My BLL was 13 in Jan, 2019. Untested since, I am taking further measures since that time)

We seem to have covered metallic cartridges aspects pretty thoroughly but not SG.

Imis - 25 shotgun reloads x the number of matches shot per year ... count them up

Personally, I wouldn't loose sleep worrying that you blood level would go through the roof because primarily you are 'pouring' shot into the case from the press not handle-ling center fire bullets into the cases using  the press

I have 9 cases of black & smokeless shotgun reloads for cowboy and trap ... my levels are still in the 12 range and this includes casting and reloading many 100 round boxes of centerfires

Moisten a paper towel with case lube or Armor All and wipe the hulls off before running them through the press.  Wash your hands and reload.  I do them in batches of 50.  Keeps your dies clean too.

I wouldn't worry about shot, it's actually handling lead bullets that's the culprit. I was told to wash your hands real good after reloading.;)

My MEC loader has a persistent problem of retaining a couple pellets from each drop, then dumping them onto the stage or table when I next pull the handle down.  Stray shot lying around the bench is a bad source of lead assimilation, and if it gets on the hard floor, it is also a serious ball bearing slip-fall hazard.  I spend the effort as needed to contain stray shot and not let it get away into my blood or elsewhere.  

I also have concern over the dust that comes out all over the bench and in the air when shot is poured from the bags into the loader magazine flasks.   A lot of it is graphite dust, but I've captured and heated it in an annealing oven, and an appreciable part of it is also metallic lead.  So I wear long sleeves, gloves, and a dust mask when pouring shot.  Then I wash my hands soon afterwards.  

But I don't worry too much about the lead that actually makes it into the shell cases.  It isn't going anywhere except downrange.  

Wash hands thoroughly after loading your shotshells.   Wash hands thoroughly after shooting them.  The inhalation exposure from shooting shotshells occurs during the shooting itself - for that, a fine particulate mask would be needed.

I'd say it's hardly something to get too worked up over.   GJ

Archived