SASS Wire Forum

Will You Come to My Wedding?

Yesterday, I went to the CA DMV to renew my DL, which expired in April. I did have an extension until 8/11/2020; but need to have an office visit because I'm "older than dirt."

I didn't have an appointment (they are not making appointments or accepting calls at this time). No problem.

I wanted to get a "Real ID." There was a problem with that. I did get my DL renewed (no test).

The problem with the Real Id was that I didn't have a valid Marriage Certificate. :o Mine was from 1971 and stated "Temporary." It was good enough in 1971 to get a new SS card; but is not good enough now to get a Real ID.  From working on a software application from CA to SSA, I understand that :rolleyes:

More later, when it is a weekday and I can contact the Nevada state department responsible for verification. BTW we got married at the courthouse. :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Who is giving the bride away?

Reckon I best shine my boots some. 

It is not who is giving her away but does he want her....Sounds like a good time to trade in and up date....Then again the old model is broken it...It does run smooth, with a little nosy feedback once in awhile...

Texas Lizard

When  I  was  a  youngun  in the  early  70's, the  weddings  had a traditional  activity  of the menfolk   getting  to kiss the  bride.  This  seems  to  have  passed to the  rubbish  pile like so many  traditions . 

So, is this  a  1971 wedding  or a modern  wedding ? 

Many  RVSP   may depend  on this .

CS  

Well now, if it says "Temporary" I'd keep an eye on Uno.

Just in case he He tries to make a run for it!!!

Another Stir the Pot.jpg

53 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

It is not who is giving her away but does he want her....Sounds like a good time to trade in and up date....Then again the old model is broken it...It does run smooth, with a little nosy feedback once in awhile...

Texas Lizard

I ain't going there Lizard. Count me out of the conversation. 

A temporary marriage license.......

(I can dream, can’t I?)

43 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Another Stir the Pot.jpg

What does MY husband have to do with this??????????  :huh::huh:

Does this need to be a shotgun wedding  :D:lol:

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yesterday, I went to the CA DMV to renew my DL, which expired in April. I did have an extension until 8/11/2020; but need to have an office visit because I'm "older than dirt."

I didn't have an appointment (they are not making appointments or accepting calls at this time). No problem.

I wanted to get a "Real ID." There was a problem with that. I did get my DL renewed (no test).

The problem with the Real Id was that I didn't have a valid Marriage Certificate. :o Mine was from 1971 and stated "Temporary." It was good enough in 1971 to get a new SS card; but is not good enough now to get a Real ID.  From working on a software application from CA to SSA, I understand that :rolleyes:

More later, when it is a weekday and I can contact the Nevada state department responsible for verification. BTW we got married at the courthouse. :rolleyes:

Love to Be there !!!

When !!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>49 years temporary ..... Not Bad ...

I like Shotgun weddings at Shoots .....

This Time Ya best Ask him ...

Jabez Cowboy

Allie will this be a cowboy wedding? I'd love to come!! Hope I'm invited!;)

53 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yep! I told him! After 48+ years, I thought he should be the first to know.

You got married at 10 years old?    

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

After 78 years I found out that I didn't have a real birth certificate, only a notice that one is on file with the state of Oregon.

Oregon....right.

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

AC88DE86-9077-46BD-89D0-54CF6677ACFA.thumb.jpeg.3d5de11ea11a01aab1fe3f903fc5f425.jpeg

Allie,

Sharon had a similar problem, but with a divorce decree over 40 years ago.
Marin County got it fixed right up after she called the Clerk.

3 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Oh Dang!

You mean you didn't know???

And here I let the cat outta the bag

Another Stir the Pot.jpg

I know many Fathers-of-the-Bride were sure the pending marriage wouldn't last, but never knew of one who got it posted as such on the license!

I know this is California, and all, but what does having a marriage certificate/license, have to do with getting a drivers' license, or renewing one???

Think about this.  A license, by definition, is something that gives you permission to do that which is otherwise not legal. 

We get a hunting license, we get a fishing license, to hunt and fish at the designated times that the law prescribes. 

But...is marrying someone, without a license, illegal?  Uhhh...NO!

So...why do all of us seem to think we need a marriage license to get married?  Yep, I got one, too, back in the day.  Brainwashing?  Money making scheme by the state? Maybe!  

A person can get a really elaborate certificate made up, at a print shop, have all the names and dates, of the bride and groom on the certificate, the county, and state where the ceremony takes place, get a pastor, or someone, to do the ceremony, have witnesses sign the certificate, and then take it down to the county clerk, at the court house, and get that document filed.  You may even wish to get it notarized, before you take it to the court house.

Perhaps some would term this a "common law" marriage.  I am not sure.  Would doing this hinder you, in some way, later on, for some reason? Maybe, I don't know.  I am sure there will be some who will say so.  You file it with the county clerk, and it is on file at the court house, that is a legal document....or is it?

A couple of things this does seem to accomplish.  One, it cuts out a fee for the license, but it does incur a fee to file it with the county clerk.  Two, it seems to give less legal status, by the state, in your marriage.  Why does the state need to give you permission to marry the love of your life?  That freeks me out!!!

W.K.  

Friends of mine got hitched a lot of years ago. Told his wife after the ceremony  that the minister was from CENTRAL CASTING 

and when she was done with the ring they could get a refund on it. But he survived the fall. 

WK,

This was for a "real id." I need a notarized copy of my Marriage License for that. That is what you need to fly. President Trump extended the due date to October 2021.

I called the Nevada Department of Vital Statistics this morning. They are not answering at this time. Next step is to check for a Website.

AM

Archived