SASS Wire Forum

Gun store visit

Went to two local stores yesterday.  One is a Sig dealer the other a regional Cabelas type store.  The Sig dealer didn't have any Sig products, which are usually displayed in vertical showcases holding around 80-120 pistols and rifles.  They did have a bunch of 1911 style pistols in the $4,000-$7,000 range and a bunch of bolt action rifles.  They did have two Saints ARs from Springfield Armory.  The bigger store had no ARs, very few handguns and the manager told me they have sold over 75%of their stock and only a few pieces come in during the week.  I have never seen the shelves that bare.   That ties in with the increase in NICS activity recently. 

Yep, I'm seeing no pistols but evidently folks are trading in steel&wood rifles for tactical stuff.  In a pawn shop that rarely ever sees quality firearms (my definition) I took home a minty 70's REmington 700 BDL in 308 and a get this .....mint LH Winchester model 70 in 270 WSM.  I already have a LH 70 in 30/06 but WTH!  

Amazing isn't it? The power of the media. The statistics, that actual numbers of virus cases/deaths, do not warrant the responses we are seeing. They are small compared to the manner most people die, especially when compared to "the flu". Cars kill far more than the stupid virus does. As for "the ruckuses" LOL, the media is simply living up to their general rule #1; if it bleeds, it leads. The response we're seeing from the general public is due solely to the media pushing it. Then there are those who seek to undo our Republic, by any means necessary it would seem and they are using these events to fullest advantage.

Unfortunately for them, they won't see what the rise in gun sales, sales of long term foods, seeds, "prepping gear" really represents; a big sparkly flag with the word NO in bold italics...underlined at the center.

In my area, two of the three CAS clubs are shut down for the short term, one because of the ridiculous mandate by the range overlords that mandate everyone on the range wear a maks. No exceptions. In 115 degree AZ summers. The other has been hit with increases in range fees and this month's match was cancelled. The third is going strong.

Local ranges have reservation systems and all have something of a policy for distancing/masks and such, all are busy. My LGS are busy. Most have turned over their stock several times. Ammo is higher. Online wholesalers I deal with have this or that in stock at pricing that's about 20% give or take over what it was six months ago. How temporary this is....dunno. After Sandy Hook in 2012, well....I wasn't expecting a dry spell like that to last until well into 2017.

Gun shows in my area are off the table with our befuddled governor's latest "emergency" order. What a dolt. He gives a press conference stating all the scary crap with slides from the AZ DHS behind him that show the opposite of his dire predictions and closed restaurants to half capacity again, gyms, bars, a few other places. Got his butt sued in court and the judge sided with him. Ladies and gentlemen, that there is a clue. Even if the "law" doesn't allow such things, the courts will give them a wide latitude. Think of it this way; if they can simply declare an emergency and take away your rights, ANY of them, you don't have them to begin with.

I fully understand why defensive type firearms are in demand. Sporting guns not so much but they do in a pinch and people seem to understand that. They also seem to understand that ultimately, as much as they might want to, the police probably won't be coming to save them. And neither will the government. I have never seen anything like this in all my born days and I fervently hope that things right themselves.

I haven't been to the lgs since returning home but I doubt much has changed because

A. There are very very few Covid cases in this area and

B. Most everybody already has guns

:D

Drive by my LGS a half hour before it opened. One guy standing out front and several sitting in cars. 
Went to the indoor shooting range. I was the second one in. When I left there was a line to get in. 
I went to LAX Ammo OC after leaving range to see if they got their primer shipment and to buy some 9mm. There were about 30 people in line outside. 
I passed. 
Went back by my LGS as it’s one my way home and there were 20-25 guys in line out front. 
Sheesh! 
For an area where everyone is supposed to be “earthquake prepared” there sure are a lot of unprepared people. 
Probably all brainwashed government Lovers. “Help me! Help me!....or I’ll protest and spread the CoVid.” Freakin morons...

Last week I took a gun into to my LGS to put on consignment sale. The gun has to be held for 21 days before it can be sold :blink: It’s California, nuff said...

Anyway, Some dude comes to in freaking out about needing a gun. Decided he must have the Glock 21...only one of 2 handguns in the display. He had no idea what it was but he had to have it. 
He tosses his ID and a credit card on the counter. The clerk hands him back his credit card then asks for his Firearms Safety Cert card...”What’s that?”

”Oh, now you have to take a test.”

”But I don’t want to. I don’t have time.”

”Well, you either take the test and pass it or you don’t get the gun.”

”So if I take the test and pass I can buy the gun?”

”Yes, but you also have to pass the background check.”

”Background check? How long will that take?”

”Normally ten days but now it’s taking fifteen to twenty days.”

I thought our hero was going to have an embolism. 
“FIFTEEN TO TWENTY DAYS?! That’s Bull S***! I haven’t got time for this how do I get a gun today?”

”You don’t. Regardless of what you might have heard you can’t buy guns online, you can’t buy guns without a background check and a waiting period and you sure aren’t getting a gun within the next 15 days, new or used.”

”I am going somewhere else...”

“Good luck and have a nice day.”

I couldn’t resist...”Hey, you vote Democrat?”

”Yeah, why?”

”You only have yourself to blame.”

Then I turned back to filling out my paperwork to sell my gun. 
Ignorance runs rampant here...

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I haven't been to the lgs since returning home but I doubt much has changed because

But... but... but, Bob!  What about all them Riots and Rioters down Cahone way~?   :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The city folk (e.g. liberals)from Phoenix have been hitting the stores up in this area!:angry:

19 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But... but... but, Bob!  What about all them Riots and Rioters down Cahone way~?   :rolleyes:

Well, ethnically according to the last Census, there’s very little chance of a riot breaking out here.

And by very little chance, I mean Absolutely No chance at all.

4 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

The city folk (e.g. liberals)from Phoenix have been hitting the stores up in this area!:angry:

You mean liberals are buying guns...I thought they wanted you to close them gun stores....

Texas Lizard

Scheels opened a new (250,000 sq. ft.) today here in MN.  There was a good crowd and plenty of sporting goods for sale.  The only places where there was limited entry were in the ammunition section and firearms.  Wait time to get into the firearms section 2-3 hours.  Ammunition was limited to 1,000 rds per person.  I didn't wait, nothing I needed.  Outside the front entrance were two life sized bronzed statues; Abraham Lincoln sitting on a bench and Ronald Reagan wearing his cowboy hat and smiling.  That was worth the trip.

Just browsing the on line sellers. Looks like the manufacturers have quit making  shooting irons, and the reloading folks went out of business. Glad I stocked up on virtual ammunition. Yep, that is what them virtual guns shoot. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, ethnically according to the last Census, there’s very little chance of a riot breaking out here.

And by very little chance, I mean Absolutely No chance at all.

...unless Bob is leading it ‘cause somebody’s trying to ban M1 Garands!

Seamus

This year will be a record for gun sales, riots and a presidential election. Been to a few gun stores and checked out a few online gun wholesalers and inventory is really sparse. You can still find guns but the selections are much more limited and not near as much to choose from. Haven't looked at ammo or reloading supplies as I have a bunch from before.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Texas Lizard said:

You mean liberals are buying guns...I thought they wanted you to close them gun stores....

Texas Lizard

Yes they (liberals) want them gun stores shut down ...  right after they (liberals) buy their guns!

Would be interesting to watch their (liberal) face when they need to use their gun only to realize that they needed to buy ammunition too!

I broke my boycott of Wally Mart yesterday and went in to see if they had any ammo. I was bored. They had no .22 or 9mm or .38, they did have .357's and .22 magnums. I asked for a box of .22 magnums, CCI for $10.95. The girl after going through at least 10 keys said I don't have the right key, I'll have to call someone. After waiting for about 10 minutes I left! It didn't seem like anyone was coming and the girl left!!

Screw WalMart!!:angry:

WalMart still sells Winchester AAs at the best retail price around.  I've bought five cases of featherlights from them this year.  I'm not anti-Wally World.

I visited Sportsmans to pick up 1,000 primers yesterday.  Ammo and reloading supplies were quite sparse.  The last twenty years has taught me to keep a few years of supplies on hand.

Archived