SASS Wire Forum

the ones you'll never part with

Highwall

I reckon my first is fairly obvious due to my alias. Yes, my Browning 1885 in 45/70 is my most coveted firearm. My second is a Savage (Crackshot) model 72 single shot in .22lr. It is my very first firearm. I also love my Wichita International in .22lr and 30/30 winchester. Last would be my Ruger bearcat, fits my hand and is very accurate..

iron sights.jpg

Savage Crackshot.jpg

Wichita-International-Pistol-3-barrel-set-10inch-barrels-7mm-Int-R-with-brass-and-die-32-HandR-mag-a_100835852_621_44A3D5D211F106DD.jpg

0913.jpg

The majority of my firearms have sentimental value to me. However, I have a Winchester 9422M that my brother gave me for my 18th birthday. I also have my first trap gun, my BT99, that was given to me by my father-in-law. It was his first trap gun. I have nicer and more expensive guns I love, but I've said if I were homeless and living in a car and the car died, I would still have those two.

First Gen SAA  both with 7 1/2  barrels one .45 Colt ( 1874 )  ,,, .38 WCF ( 1882 )  and  a Sharps made in 1875 ..

Jabez Cowboy

I have a Tula Arms TOZ66 hammer double coach gun that was given to me by my racing partner and employer over 30 years ago. Billy’s gone now but we were brothers, probably as much as my real brother.

I traded it for money and parts to get my old Harley running when it was my only transportation and I was going through a rough time. The pard I traded it to later hit a rough patch and the shotgun came home.  It’ll never leave again!! 

I have a few other guns that will have to stay with me. There’s a ‘75 Remington replica that I converted from Black Powder to smokeless. It’s legal for me to own, but because it was modified permanently, it’s NOT legal to sell or trade it!

My Marlin 19g pump shotgun, a veteran of MANY SASS matches before they were banned, will remain in my possession and belong to my grandson when I’m gone!

An original Winchester ‘93 that was traded to me for a mailbox post by a friend and business partner.  It was a rusty, chopped barreled piece of junk when I got it.  It was found in the trunk of an old Buick 455GS that the friend had acquired to restore. Perry figured it was ruined and so I built him a post from a piece of four inch well casing and a steel skeleton for his mailbox in exchange. Me and Willy McCoy lovingly repaired and refinished that old gun, slicked it up, thoroughly tested it, and it too became a SASS veteran! That mailbox has survived MANY assaults by dumbass kids with pipes and baseball bats, so we both got what we wanted. If he manages to outlive me, that ol’ ‘93 will probably go back to Perry!

There are a couple of others that can’t or won’t be going anywhere for one reason or another.

Sorry, I decided it is unwise to list my weapons on the Wire.

Cat Brules

I also would not like to part with any of my weapons especially my "cowboy " stuff but this Python hols a special place in my heart and my hands when I shoot it. A friend and fellow cowboy shooter passed away and I was able to purchase this from his wife, it was never fired until I got my grubby hands on it!

He bought it in 1993 and was keeping it as a collector, he passed away suddenly about 4 years ago,

IMG_1859.JPG

Just now, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Too late. I had my grandpa SA Colt 4 3/4 he bought in 1916, and his M 92 44-40, that I sold when I got divorced. I know, I should have my butt kicked.

That's the only thing in my life that I have done that I consider a mistake.

Boy are you lucky! I think I’m approaching triple digits on my Mistake Meter.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Boy are you lucky! I think I’m approaching triple digits on my Mistake Meter.

UB I've hit a few speed bumps along the way but as far as doing what I did, and the decisions Ive made, that's the only one I regret. Needed the $ at the time but not all that bad. My son (9) and I weren't starving.

Funny thing, every gun I have allegedly owned was lost in a terrible boating accident.  I have many favorites at the bottom of the lake.

Kajun

A family heirloom, carried by a great-great uncle in his job.

Guns 033.JPG

Howdy,

Can we have more info on the little revolver?

I really think its great.

And do you shoot it? If so what distance?

Thanks aheadotime pard.

Best

CR

Well, ALL of my firearms are VIRTUAL firearms. But I have to agree with Utah Bob, my PAPER M1 GARAND is very dear to me also. 

Oh, I forgot. I have an unregistered home made sling shot. I don't rightly know what

caliber it is though.  Rocks and stones are hard to size. Had it before all this BATF stuff.

Made it as a kid out of some old tree limbs that Dad had in his yard. I think the rubber bands

came from an old army surplus inner tube and the pouch was an old leather shoe tongue. 

Kinda hokey rig, but she shoots right true. As a sprig I could break a window fifty feet away. 

19 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Sorry, I decided it is unwise to list my weapons on the Wire.

Cat Brules

Same as saying you got some valuable weapons. 

Not a family heirloom. I just like it.

H&A38rf.jpg

Have a Browning BSS 20ga my parents gave me for my 10th Christmas. My first shotgun, take it out every yr at least once grouse hunting . Would have to be in some pretty desperate times to sell it 

I used to say I wouldn’t part with any of my guns but I have changed my mind in recent years and I have parted with guns that lost their luster or became guns that I said to myself “What the hell were you thinking?”

Anyway, I do have guns that I will never willingly part with:

My M1 Garand that recently came back to me from my daughter. 
4164D2D2-F649-4C16-8B90-7305AEB07281.thumb.jpeg.0be684aeb68b91c054bd415d079d83fc.jpeg

My Winchester 94 carbine

C134480A-939F-4C09-AA7D-5062581969C0.thumb.jpeg.541a32c1ff65978427ab126d7cc3b034.jpeg

My Glock 45 and my S&W 327 Night Guard both pictured here. 
2B039C1F-E1B0-49CD-B76C-BCF6ED8BD7D3.thumb.jpeg.e630af33c5301a08e1fce957e771301d.jpeg

I also have a Winchester 94 “Trail’s End” .357 that I don’t have a handy picture of. It was the first rifle I bought for CAS. It’s a tack driver and has had a few parts replaced over the years. It used to tick me off when well-meaning folks would push me to “get a better gun like a 73” or a “Marlin” when I shot it at matches. I actually think that endeared it to me even more. Love that rifle. I take it out and shoot it on occasion but it’s no longer a SASS gun. Parts are getting hard to come by for it. 

My Delta Elite I carried on duty for more years than I care to remember.

The guns that belonged to deceased family and friends.  

My first shotgun, and the first 22 rifle I bought for myself.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Have a Browning BSS 20ga my parents gave me for my 10th Christmas. My first shotgun, take it out every yr at least once grouse hunting . Would have to be in some pretty desperate times to sell it 

Those are a sweet shotguns., I bought one for hunting in central Washington. Sold it to a fellow SASS member. 

Kinda wish I had it back, but the water passes under the bridge already. 

Strictly based on sentimental value: 

1. The Mossberg Model 146b-a .22 LR my parents gave me for my 8th birthday.  Lots of good squirrel hunting with my father with that rifle.

2. The Savage 1903 pump .22 my father and I restored.  It's still one of my favorite rabbit guns.

There are a few of them, but the lead pipe cinch not going anywhere is my TC Hawken muzzle loader.  My son borrowed the money to buy it for me for Christmas 35 years ago.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Perry figured it was ruined and so I built him a post from a piece of four inch well casing and a steel skeleton for his mailbox in exchange. That mailbox has survived MANY assaults by dumbass kids with pipes and baseball bats, so we both got what we wanted.

Reminds me of a story an old CAT field mechanic told me.  The store he worked out of served mostly AG & forest products industries.  As he told it another mechanic lived outside of town among farms.  His mail box would frequently get knocked down on Friday & Saturday nights.  To end the hijinxs once and for all he pulled a worn out dozer drive sprocket out of the steel scrap bin as well as some 1" plate.  He welded a length of 6' sch. 40 pipe to the sprocket & plate.  He bolted a mail box to the plate.  He buried the sprocket just below the ground so no one who drove by would know there was extreme danger below.  The next weekend one night  he heard a loud bang.  He went outside with a flashlight to see a pickup truck jacked up on the sprocket with right side front end damage.  His mail box was never again damaged by dumbass teenage boys having fun.

Archived